New to me 77 620

Dusten

I seen this trucck pulling out of the Everett Boeing plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would try to run a  that hard line pipe(crankcase vent) or maybe most of that part that come out of the block to the PVC.

Is it really really nneded to run? NO. but you should keep it open or to a vent can to catch the oil.  At idle air blows out when revs up it will suck air in... I seen people plug that HOLE and it NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!block needs to vent

The water line Holes in the head for passage?  if you dont run it over the mountain pass and not drive in very cold damp places your fine. I would leave it as is. I hate when they leak water.  My sidedraft carb is open crank case vent also.I should get a catch can .  Msince sidedraft Mikunies I plugged my water passage holes up. But sidedrafts have a lower air speed that a single carb down draft. all 4 cyl sucking air throw the 1st barrel

That exhaust flange Y pipe LOOKs GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!who did that?

PS I bought those gear shift bushings before(plastic) and there were destroyed almost that day on my 5speed on my 510. There was a Dodge door hinge bushing kit with various sizes at O rileys. DatznMike should have the number.  press the closes size in to the gear shift lever then drill out for the pin size. I think soemone even makes a kit on ebay locally. but this what I found right now. You can make your one bring the pin down. if needed sand the broze brass shoulders to thin it down if nneded when it wedges between the shifter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225598773660?fits=Make%3ADatsun&hash=item3486bc199c:g:KBAAAOSwfY9XQXpa&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8H9oVoewae1z0gD%2FMM8iy0JXU6TvejtiTlh3jXmomR7Cz%2F0%2FkDeB%2Ff4Wt6Lplgixo67cYnRxW%2FvY7Ebjmr%2FHdyEi3NVvWGM%2Fw%2Fv1QrRgs0bZ4NDifoPh7nUEDPK0zLmbABxNI3PM21SXmv4bvkY7eTYuyVlN%2FtsSYw2VBOJ31qJ9cInfJiLloC%2FMW7%2FiEO5I4lUPGrFxU%2BgZhfr%2FF9HBHdJu3i8DrReJRvAQyXD%2FVVDzFuv5Lf5kXg6s6hkgYT2jX%2FGMLJ7eXsmbTM221uW6mYjarnKsBbvb57cQ7zcp5BWycsbb%2B4PrpEvRosOOas8UxA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMorrP3tJi

fuel pump I alwasy try to find a Japan made pump. make sure the input out put are the same location if you want a perfect fit for the 620.

I bought 2 Carter mechical pump that look stock but Im sure it CHINA as there were like 25$ apc. But since I found ebay the real ones do pop up for around 85$ for my 510/521 which are the same inlet outlet locations at least for me

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
  • Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9/13/2023 at 10:03 PM, frankendat said:

Is that figuring in a "cost" for your time? I don't have any stake in the truck, aside from that I would really like to have it (buying another project would lead to divorce). It runs. Fly down and drive it back for less than $2k maybe $1500 (with a little luck or more precisely with an absence of really bad luck) OR Drive down through Tumwater WA and pick up a pair of bucket seats out of a 300zx that I purchased a while back and I'll kick in $200 for gas. That lowers the price of that running 77 king cab to $550 (and he might take a little less if the ad is still up) Take all the best parts for your rig, use the others to keep the 77 from Idaho operational and sell it in Seattle for at least $1k. ***Warning this type of reasonable thinking has lead to an overflowing garage and multiple non running vehicles, engines on stands, etc for extended periods of time*** 

Yes because my time is valuable.  I know what I make an hour, and spending 16+ driving to Idaho and back isn't something I would enjoy.  There is Zero chance id drive that thing home from Idaho across 2 mountain passes.  

It's a good notion. But I prefer to keep my fleet of vehicles limited to runners.  I have 5 now and all are ready to go.  

Also I'm trying to figure out what on that truck is better than what's on mine? 

Edited by Dusten
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I would try to run a  that hard line pipe(crankcase vent) or maybe most of that part that come out of the block to the PVC.

Is it really really nneded to run? NO. but you should keep it open or to a vent can to catch the oil.  At idle air blows out when revs up it will suck air in... I seen people plug that HOLE and it NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!block needs to vent

The water line Holes in the head for passage?  if you dont run it over the mountain pass and not drive in very cold damp places your fine. I would leave it as is. I hate when they leak water.  My sidedraft carb is open crank case vent also.I should get a catch can .  Msince sidedraft Mikunies I plugged my water passage holes up. But sidedrafts have a lower air speed that a single carb down draft. all 4 cyl sucking air throw the 1st barrel

PS I bought those gear shift bushings before(plastic) and there were destroyed almost that day on my 5speed on my 510. There was a Dodge door hinge bushing kit with various sizes at O rileys. DatznMike should have the number.  press the closes size in to the gear shift lever then drill out for the pin size. I think soemone even makes a kit on ebay locally. but this what I found right now. You can make your one bring the pin down. if needed sand the broze brass shoulders to thin it down if nneded when it wedges between the shifter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225598773660?fits=Make%3ADatsun&hash=item3486bc199c:g:KBAAAOSwfY9XQXpa&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8H9oVoewae1z0gD%2FMM8iy0JXU6TvejtiTlh3jXmomR7Cz%2F0%2FkDeB%2Ff4Wt6Lplgixo67cYnRxW%2FvY7Ebjmr%2FHdyEi3NVvWGM%2Fw%2Fv1QrRgs0bZ4NDifoPh7nUEDPK0zLmbABxNI3PM21SXmv4bvkY7eTYuyVlN%2FtsSYw2VBOJ31qJ9cInfJiLloC%2FMW7%2FiEO5I4lUPGrFxU%2BgZhfr%2FF9HBHdJu3i8DrReJRvAQyXD%2FVVDzFuv5Lf5kXg6s6hkgYT2jX%2FGMLJ7eXsmbTM221uW6mYjarnKsBbvb57cQ7zcp5BWycsbb%2B4PrpEvRosOOas8UxA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMorrP3tJi

fuel pump I alwasy try to find a Japan made pump. make sure the input out put are the same location if you want a perfect fit for the 620.

I bought 2 Carter mechical pump that look stock but Im sure it CHINA as there were like 25$ apc. But since I found ebay the real ones do pop up for around 85$ for my 510/521 which are the same inlet outlet locations at least for me

Ya, she's my daily so you probably saw me going home from work.  

The Carter I bought was from a seller on eBay and has the correct locations for my truck.  Us based seller with exceptional reviews.  So fingers crossed.  

The y pipe was done by Canavans in Marysville.  

I found it HELP brand  for 5 speed loose shifters. right this down and SAVE this

I have 3 kit numbers 38374  need to buy 2

i think i used this one 38374 as I only need the bushings not the pin, pick the one best fit sqeezed in a vice(shifter) then drill out till the cross pin fit

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/dorman-help/hardware---fasteners/body---trim/door---window/door-hinge-parts/a2371487ef79/dorman-help-door-hinge-bushings/mtm0/38374

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
On 9/15/2023 at 5:30 AM, Dusten said:

Yes because my time is valuable.  I know what I make an hour, and spending 16+ driving to Idaho and back isn't something I would enjoy.  There is Zero chance id drive that thing home from Idaho across 2 mountain passes.  

It's a good notion. But I prefer to keep my fleet of vehicles limited to runners.  I have 5 now and all are ready to go.  

Also I'm trying to figure out what on that truck is better than what's on mine? 

Damn it with your logic. Even with what little I pull down, the factual, evil math, answer is that time = money; nothing on that truck is better than yours. Maybe if I would have paid more attention to time/money fractions, I would have more ready to go and less on jack stands. A complete parts rig, acquired cheap, for a future rainy day when something OEM was needed and OEM is even more hoarded and more expensive, would make me happy every time I walked by it under a canopy in my backyard. (Strangely, the same events would produce the opposite reaction in my wife)

I would view the drive as an adventure, because it would be, there is a good chance being stranded somewhere remote, trying to fix the truck on the side of the road, in the dark and the rain (because it always seems to rain when I am working outside on something in the dark), minimizes boredom.

But no, I can't provide a Rational reason, like that should be important (font)   

• Like 2
23 hours ago, frankendat said:

Damn it with your logic. Even with what little I pull down, the factual, evil math, answer is that time = money; nothing on that truck is better than yours. Maybe if I would have paid more attention to time/money fractions, I would have more ready to go and less on jack stands. A complete parts rig, acquired cheap, for a future rainy day when something OEM was needed and OEM is even more hoarded and more expensive, would make me happy every time I walked by it under a canopy in my backyard. (Strangely, the same events would produce the opposite reaction in my wife)

I would view the drive as an adventure, because it would be, there is a good chance being stranded somewhere remote, trying to fix the truck on the side of the road, in the dark and the rain (because it always seems to rain when I am working outside on something in the dark), minimizes boredom.

But no, I can't provide a Rational reason, like that should be important (font)   

I took a 66 f100 on a 700 mile road trip with a 3 speed.  Break downs happened.  It was an adventure.  But I knew the truck.  Flying out to try and hobble home the unknown is anxiety inducing. 

Well the fuel pump showed up.

I slapped it in.  Fired it up.  Let it idle about ten minutes. Drove it about 6 miles and got towed home.  

Super exciting day.  And I'm late for work.  

20230918_215945.jpg

20230918_201014.jpg

20230918_171051.jpg

20230918_171041.jpg

20230918_170536.jpg

• Like 1
On 9/14/2023 at 3:48 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

I believe you mean a pump like this.  But with proper outlets. Sadly these are wrong

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163383188373?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=_AZ3lwP9TY6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=s9bF7JKJRoO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just now, datzenmike said:

image.jpeg.329f50702c840a26feaac9ff15ecb97f.jpeg

You did have the pump, gasket, 1/4" plastic spacer, gasket, head? Without spacer pump arm goes in too far. There is also a spring (not shown)

There was a spring.  

I installed it exactly the same as the one that came out

Pump|gasket|spacer|gasket|engine

20230918_170529.jpg

On 9/18/2023 at 11:18 PM, Dusten said:

I took a 66 f100 on a 700 mile road trip with a 3 speed.  Break downs happened.  It was an adventure.  But I knew the truck.  Flying out to try and hobble home the unknown is anxiety inducing. 

Well the fuel pump showed up.

I slapped it in.  Fired it up.  Let it idle about ten minutes. Drove it about 6 miles and got towed home.  

Super exciting day.  And I'm late for work.  

20230918_201014.jpg

That sure is a fine looking truck. You lose me with things like "towed home" and I don't even check the price on anything Snap-on, but hood up, in the dark, on the side of the hwy-we are brothers in Datsun. Some people might think that is a negative comment about these trucks, but the "rest of the story" is that Datsuns have always got me home. Sometimes without a full tool set on hand, sometimes making improv parts in the field, but always made it home. A simple, cheap, part fails on any truck built in the last couple of decades and the only options are expensive and rely on other people. 

Never been towed home in my Datsuns. Improv parts? My 620 wouldn't start miles from home. Easy to test for spark. Tracked it down to the cap center carbon terminal eroded away from years and years of use. Vice grips and a nearby wire fence. Snip a 1/2" length and stuff it in the hole, drive home. Rarely can you not fix a Datsun but in that case, you damn well know what's wrong.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, frankendat said:

That sure is a fine looking truck. You lose me with things like "towed home" and I don't even check the price on anything Snap-on, but hood up, in the dark, on the side of the hwy-we are brothers in Datsun. Some people might think that is a negative comment about these trucks, but the "rest of the story" is that Datsuns have always got me home. Sometimes without a full tool set on hand, sometimes making improv parts in the field, but always made it home. A simple, cheap, part fails on any truck built in the last couple of decades and the only options are expensive and rely on other people. 

Towed home because I don't carry a spare fuel pump.  The arm broke off.  Pretty hard to get home without a fuel pump.

Could I have called a friend, got a ride home, grabbed a pump, came back installed and been on my way?  Sure.

Or I can use AAA, get towed home, swap pumps and head back to work.

I was on my way to work when it died.  I didn't exactly have time to wait hours for someone to come get me.  

You can attempt to judge the situation all you want.  The fact is, we make certain choices based on availability of time and resources available to us.

And I use snap on tools.  Because my father was a machinist and a dealer mechanic and when he died I got everything.

This is me moving my box into the new house.

I deal with working on cars daily 

The newest I own is a 2001.  It's a home built 730hp f150 that's daily driver reliable and runs 10s with nothing more than a tire swap.  It has 15" brakes, more suspension than anything needs and a full custom interior. 

I've done every bit of work on it.  Period.

My daily is the datsun

I have an imported 91 land cruiser diesel

I have a 66 and 68 Ford.

I turn wrenches.  I work on shit all the time.  But I have the means to have the truck towed home to fix it. I'm not going to stand on the side of the road at 9 pm when my garage is waiting for me.  

20230703_091043.jpg

• Like 2
11 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

yeah I got those cheap Carter pumps in Boxes at home, I guess I really wont be using them now.

ebay has what you need just find the correct inlet out config but the others L series will work.

Ya I found one.  It'll be here tomorrow.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Send that pump back to Carter and tell them their shit sucks but it also sold under the Spectre brand also.

The Mexican pumps with the Gold Cap are actually better just they dont look stock, These Chinese clones do look like stock. 

I CANT even say used the Carter as a spare under the seat.

The place I bought it from is giving me a refund.  

My Nikki will be here today 

• Like 1