New to me 77 620

Dusten

27 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I just did a google search for 620 Nissan fuse box cover and they all come up just like the one in the pic.

Maybe overseas markets.

image.thumb.png.4b8608e990529799f4eef6e4db00fa26.png

The forums say theyre from thailand.

Just like I recently noticed my tails are wrong.  The blinker and brake work together.  Which is correct when the lens is red.  Mines amber.

But my clears will be here soon and I have all new bulbs going in, so the colors will be right.  

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am taking the Datsun in a road trip thanksgiving weekend.

My kids go with their mom to their grandparents.  I have no family.  So thanksgiving is always a time to go find something to do.

I taking the Datsun because I feel it'll be more of a challenge.  No cruise.  Carb'd.  

Here's the route.  It's 1650 miles.  

Screenshot_20231030_085702_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a50ae06dce1a7acf2c162097356acc77.jpg

I'll be spending 4 days and 3 nights.  So approximately 400-450 a day.  This allows to me to limit driving to daylight hours but give a buffer for repairs.  

Prior to the trip I've gone through the brakes.  Adjusted valves.  Rebuilt carb and installed a new quality fuel pump. 

The t-stat and coolant are also new.

I plan to pack 

Hose clamps

My wiring bag

Good duct tape

Zip ties

My extra fuel pump

Tire chains

Tools

Jump pack

Gallon of oil

Gallon of coolant

2 gallons of water

Sleeping bag just in case

Jet boil and a few bags of freeze dried camp food

AAA card

Gas can

Spare fuses(these are always in the truck)

Spare belt

Length of fuel hose

Wd-40

Fuel filter

Can of brake clean

Tarp

I have a container that rides in my land cruiser with a lot of this anyways so I'll just move it over and add to it.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dusten said:

I am taking the Datsun in a road trip thanksgiving weekend.

My kids go with their mom to their grandparents.  I have no family.  So thanksgiving is always a time to go find something to do.

I taking the Datsun because I feel it'll be more of a challenge.  No cruise.  Carb'd.  

Here's the route.  It's 1650 miles.  

Screenshot_20231030_085702_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a50ae06dce1a7acf2c162097356acc77.jpg

I'll be spending 4 days and 3 nights.  So approximately 400-450 a day.  This allows to me to limit driving to daylight hours but give a buffer for repairs.  

Prior to the trip I've gone through the brakes.  Adjusted valves.  Rebuilt carb and installed a new quality fuel pump. 

The t-stat and coolant are also new.

I plan to pack 

Hose clamps

My wiring bag

Good duct tape

Zip ties

My extra fuel pump

Tire chains

Tools

Jump pack

Gallon of oil

Gallon of coolant

2 gallons of water

Sleeping bag just in case

Jet boil and a few bags of freeze dried camp food

AAA card

Gas can

Spare fuses(these are always in the truck)

Spare belt

Length of fuel hose

Wd-40

Fuel filter

Can of brake clean

Tarp

I have a container that rides in my land cruiser with a lot of this anyways so I'll just move it over and add to it.  

Goodluck with the trip....

Might I suggest throwing a fire extinguisher in the vehicle.... 

You just never know.... 

I had fuel pressure gauge leak under my hood and I was glad I had an extinguisher with me.... 

Reminds me I need a couple more... I keep one in my datsun and the wife's car stole .... I need one for my nissan....

7 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Goodluck with the trip....

Might I suggest throwing a fire extinguisher in the vehicle.... 

You just never know.... 

I had fuel pressure gauge leak under my hood and I was glad I had an extinguisher with me.... 

Reminds me I need a couple more... I keep one in my datsun and the wife's car stole .... I need one for my nissan....

I'll let it burn.  By the time I caught it at freeway speed the damage would be to much to repair and get home.  Plus it's well insured.  

image.jpeg.371ee169b801069cc8e1050177bbb400.jpeg

Marvelous! I used to cross Canada to Onterrible for a few weeks and back to BC for Thanksgiving in my 620. But the weather wasn't too bad. Have done it by car and slept at a gas station in Manitoba  Feb 13th. I had sleeping bag and down parka. It's all about being prepared and you sure look like you're ready.

image.jpeg.8f4dcde7066a46453d2dedd704bfeef7.jpeg

I just checked and all years of 620 had 10 amp for the headlights. What on earth were the Thailand 620 running for headlights???

Just now, Dusten said:

I'll let it burn.  By the time I caught it at freeway speed the damage would be to much to repair and get home.  Plus it's well insured.  

I was cruising over a bridge and couldn't pull over when I  smelled then saw the smoke.... got it out pretty quick..... had to shorten the rubber fuel line, got crispy but didn't burn through.....

Still drove it where I was going and back home another 125 miles.....

I'd hate to see a datsun become a burn barrel.... 

Again good luck and have fun on your journey....

My fuel system is basically stock.  So I think I'll be alright there.  

I don't own an extinguisher and don't want to grab one for this trip.  I'm already packing like a psycho.  

I drove this truck quite a bit, so a fuel leak doesn't worry me(54 miles a day)

I mostly want spares just in case.  Like I said, if I have a real fire I don't trust that I'll get it out before it's to late.  

Also there's only 1 fuel line on the exhaust side of the engine.  So it's a very low risk 

• Like 1

No updates to the truck because when they're running we don't talk about them lol.

Sadly I am cancelling my road trip.

I dropped about 10k in the last week mass ordering parts for my daughters truck.  Thanksgiving weekend is 3x for the weekend.  It's hard to turn down 160+ an hour.  It'll help refill the coffers

• Like 1

image.png.6dd986f0c3078964725a9c2b88a40648.png

Double check your fuel level after you fill up, does the needle go all the way to full?

If not, you might have the same problem I do - the voltage regulator on the back of the fuel/temp gauge likely causes this.

There's a few other threads on here that talk about this if indeed this is the case.

Almost certainly the thermostat is not closing to keep the engine at 180F. 

BzXLKjU.jpg

My 710 was this way. It would have closed but that rubber seal was all puckered. Never seen this style before.

Don't cheap out, spend the money on a good one.

57 minutes ago, Jskinny said:

image.png.6dd986f0c3078964725a9c2b88a40648.png

Double check your fuel level after you fill up, does the needle go all the way to full?

If not, you might have the same problem I do - the voltage regulator on the back of the fuel/temp gauge likely causes this.

There's a few other threads on here that talk about this if indeed this is the case.

All the gauges work.  And it's only started doing this when it got real cold.  

45 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

BzXLKjU.jpg

My 710 was this way. It would have closed but that rubber seal was all puckered. Never seen this style before.

That's offensive.  You know I don't do cheap.  

This was my thought too.  But I figured I'd check engine temps with an external unit before I tear into the truck.  

40 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

BzXLKjU.jpg

I wonder if this might be my issue too..... 

I had to place some cardboard in front of my radiator for work this morning to keep my truck at the proper temperature..... 

3 hours ago, Dusten said:

That's offensive.  You know I don't do cheap.  

It's also good info for others that read this.

2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I wonder if this might be my issue too..... 

I had to place some cardboard in front of my radiator for work this morning to keep my truck at the proper temperature..... 

'Shoot' with an IR gun. Or just turn the heater on... luke warm the thermostat is not doing it's job.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

It's also good info for others that read this.

'Shoot' with an IR gun. Or just turn the heater on... luke warm the thermostat is not doing it's job.

I'll explore that further in my own thread... I have a new one one the self with some extra gaskets... might just replace either way.....

180F in a Datsun is the same as 180F in a Lightning. Set to hot and turn the fan on. The air blowing out on the floor should be too hot to hold your hand against for very long.

image.png.e07e5f960fb408bd128b0d61de9b4177.png

All Datsuns I have had run normally at 1/2 way in the marked run range. Actually half a needle above.

16 hours ago, Dusten said:

It's warm.  But I haven't driven this truck in cold weather.  So I don't know what warm is.  Like my lightning will cook me out.  I doubt this little truck will do that 

It will....

For me it was 32 this morning and I had to turn my heat off after driving a while.... I'm not sure if the 620 is the same but the 521 is heating outside air too.

I did have to use some cardboard to block air flow and this helps to keep the operating temperatures up....

I suspect mike might be right on both our trucks that the thermostat is stuck open or failing, letting coolant through the radiator when it shouldn't be....

Depending on your time obviously replacing the thermostat would be first but the cardboard will keep you driving with minimal effort.....

I have an ac condenser in front of my radiator so I have that gap.. I put the cardboard in front of the condenser, not sure if it should be tight against the radiator I'd think a small gap would be neccessary to let the fans work properly....

Edited by Crashtd420
5 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

It will....

For me it was 32 this morning and I had to turn my heat off after driving a while.... I'm not sure if the 620 is the same but the 521 is heating outside air too.

I did have to use some cardboard to block air flow and this helps to keep the operating temperatures up....

I suspect mike might be right on both our trucks that the thermostat is stuck open or failing, letting coolant through the radiator when it shouldn't be....

Depending on your time obviously replacing the thermostat would be first but the cardboard will keep you driving with minimal effort.....

I have an ac condenser in front of my radiator so I have that gap.. I put the cardboard in front of the condenser, not sure if it should be tight against the radiator I'd think a small gap would be neccessary to let the fans work properly....

I have time.  I'm going to swap it this weekend.  

I got home last night.  This was after 50 miles of highway and another 10 city.

This is the rad top

20231116_205609.thumb.jpg.248ba02bc5a03c5e8a308dd666c6026e.jpg

The engine block

20231116_205624.thumb.jpg.d45a92704fd0e0bf38bb5e31dc23c048.jpg

The exhaust manifold

20231116_205634.thumb.jpg.7d1f0e5b8960bd80b47d9bdcc751a27b.jpg

And the t-stat housing.

20231116_205654.thumb.jpg.eba110e124bb007fe42621b98639cddf.jpg

It's pretty clearly not getting up to temp.  

• Like 2