Popular 80s & 90s Mini Truck Rims

SWFL

What rims do people remember from back in the day? I wasn't in the mini truck scene ( air and then h2o VWs for me ) and just vaguely remember what rims were used for daily drivers back then. Centerlines and clones, Jackmans for 4x4s, Porsche with redrilled hubs and cheap chromed steel slots are all that I remember on mini trucks. Some of my favorite import rims from then were; Ronal R-8 16 spoke and R-10 Turbo fans, Momo 5 spokes with the threaded center caps, and Enkei EK-83 5 spoke ( a clone of the Ronal R-9 as Ronal didn't make them in 4 lug ), and various self service wrecking yard OEM rims like the Dodge pepper pots, all in 15". Seems like 6 lugs were limiting, if you didn't want domestic aftermarket rims, back before the universal lug pattern rims became a thing. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I first bought my hardbody (in 1989), the wheel world was so different than now, and so few choices for anything abnormal.  I searched for a long time to find 6 lug wheels in plus 2 (16") that had the proper offset and didn't stick out and hit the fenders (my truck was super-lowered).  I have these on it still.  I may try them on my 620 I bought now.

The discontinued wheel file... Post your favorite old school wheel you  can't get now | Chevy Impala SS Forum

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
16 hours ago, paradime said:

These where on EVERY truck in the 80s...

Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 6.48.49 PM.png

I had a set but in 15" chrome. They were in the tire store dumpster, so free. Polish with SOS pad and good for the summer. Some kid changed to those gauche rims of the day and they threw then away. (idiot) I think there was a sticker inside that said Hayes?

• 2 weeks later...

In the early 90s I had them on my Baja'd '73 VW Westfalia. In the late 70s into the 80s, my Moto-cross buddy had them on his lifted 59' Ford F100 4X4. Like the one below but paint oxidized to a brick like color.  R14s with Gumbo Monster Mudders. With those swept back A and B pillars and mug faced grill it was a sinister looking beast. Many trips down into Mexico, to Anza Borrego, Split Mountain, and Glams. Good times.

1959 Ford F100 4x4 Built From The Ground Up 12.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1
On 1/15/2023 at 5:55 PM, paradime said:

In the early 90s I had them on my Baja'd '73 VW Westfalia. In the late 70s into the 80s, my Moto-cross buddy had them on his lifted 59' Ford F100 4X4. Like the one below but paint oxidized to a brick like color.  R14s with Gumbo Monster Mudders. With those swept back A and B pillars and mug faced grill it was a sinister looking beast. Many trips down into Mexico, to Anza Borrego, Split Mountain, and Glams. Good times.

1959 Ford F100 4x4 Built From The Ground Up 12.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

image.png.c3fc02f4687f3954072f05e6148654ab.png

• Haha 1
On 1/7/2023 at 3:19 AM, Satisaii said:

Centerlines on my Jeep, circa 1994.

PXL_20230106_191312970.jpg

That reminds me of my uncle's Jeep back in the day. Not sure of its color but probably the same. I'm coming over to his garage tomorrow to help him install the rotors and ion wheels onto his truck. I'll show that to him. Hope he still got some photos.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

bump: I have some old eagle alloy wheels I would like to restore, 15 inch billet aluminum. Can someone give me step by step polishing advice? 

What should I clean them with? They are pretty oxidized and have some pitting. 

Sand paper, then a bullet attachment on drill? What grits and what polishing compound? 

• 2 months later...

I really like the gold rims on this one:

image.png.0cd6487c8a43a236d63ffd14ae03156d.png

I've been searching but haven't turned up the exact make or brand they are. Keystone, Centerline, American Racing? The AR32's look identical but without the centers anodized gold.

Edited by ttyR2
  • Like 1

9OxcLqm.jpg7QordRi.jpg

The 80s Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 15x6j wheels. My Holly Grail wheels! This is the wheel stance/look I'm after.

The closest I could get for now was I scored 4 used white w/blue & red pin stripes 15x6 wheels and 1 bonus white 15x7 for $33 a pop at a used tire shop recently (pictured below). They're scratched, 3 of them look identical if you squint your eyes real tight but if you look closely its not an exact set. The 4th one is the one that least matches the rest. But they look as 80s as it gets and that is what I'm after!  They're as close to the Fj40 wheels look/stance as I can get for now. Still, keeping my eyes open for some low priced fj40s 🤞.

vDyfUjf.jpg

Edited by IZRL
  • Like 1
On 1/11/2024 at 7:45 AM, ttyR2 said:

I really like the gold rims on this one:

image.png.0cd6487c8a43a236d63ffd14ae03156d.png

I've been searching but haven't turned up the exact make or brand they are. Keystone, Centerline, American Racing? The AR32's look identical but without the centers anodized gold.

Hello! This wheel is Enkei's Hurricane Racing.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h1097487246

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2024 at 12:09 AM, IZRL said:

9OxcLqm.jpg7QordRi.jpg

The 80s Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 15x6j wheels. My Holly Grail wheels! This is the wheel stance/look I'm after.

The closest I could get for now was I scored 4 used white w/blue & red pin stripes 15x6 wheels and 1 bonus white 15x7 for $33 a pop at a used tire shop recently (pictured below). They're scratched, 3 of them look identical if you squint your eyes real tight but if you look closely its not an exact set. The 4th one is the one that least matches the rest. But they look as 80s as it gets and that is what I'm after!  They're as close to the Fj40 wheels look/stance as I can get for now. Still, keeping my eyes open for some low priced fj40s 🤞.

vDyfUjf.jpg

I have a dozen of those Land Cruiser wheels laying around.

• Like 1