NL 320 Engine Choices

kentodd

I am new to Datsuns and was lucky enough to get my hands on a NL320. It has no engine or trans.

I searched through the previous threads with no real luck and

After asking around and looking through countless threads, there are still a few questions I have before chosing an engine. I have read that the l20b is too tall. What about a L16? Is there any size , dimensions, difference between an L16 and a L18?

If those won't work, should I put in a J15, or just go with a modern drive train? 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The L20B is 2cm or 3/4" taller than the L16/18

The L16/18 engines are identical on the outside.

The original 320 had an E series engine which is very similar to the later J and A series engines for size, so you have choices. J13, though a larger J15 from south of the border (or a lift truck?) would be the same size. A14 or A15 from a B-210/210. The 210 also had nice 60 series 5 speeds if you can find one.

I don't think the L16 is a simple or easy fit, do able though, so a later engine will be even worse.

I would go with an A14 they are relatively cheap and easy find in good shape used , and parts for A14 engines are easy to get compared to non existent J motor parts.. it is about same size as E or J,,  BUT,,  more “modern” so less likely to leak like a British motor because of their olden times rope crank seals,, which are almost impossible to find .  (Most J motor front Front crank seals are Felt)  
( A motors are rubber sealed much easier to get right) 

I don’t know anything about installing but they fit pretty well . 

Capital letters are stupid on phone  

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 1

A motors fit nicely because they are small. One pinch point with an A motor is the oil filter, where it comes close to the idler arm, but you can install a small diameter oil filter to gain the needed clearance. Beware that the A12 was difffernent from the rest of the A motors. The distributor and alternator location makes them more of a challenge to fit into the 320.

Another issue with an A motor is the shifter location. It comes up pretty far back, so if you're going to run a bench seat, you'll have to heat and bend the shifter stick.

One more issue is the clutch slave. Depending on where you put the motor, the slave can come very close to the torsion bar. Easily enough avoided if you know in advance.

I'd love to see the Mazda Miata 1.6 and 1.8 motors used in more swaps. They look super vintage, with the dual cam valve cover, and are also relatively small engines.

Here are a couple pics of the A12 I had in my green '65 320.

Datsun_320%20018%20Small_zpsb8ashrut.jpg

Datsun_320%20022%20Small_zps8xewyrp5.jpg

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A motors fit nicely because they are small. One pinch point with an A motor is the oil filter, where it comes close to the idler arm, but you can install a small diameter oil filter to gain the needed clearance. Beware that the A12 was difffernent from the rest of the A motors. The distributor and alternator location makes them more of a challenge to fit into the 320.

Another issue with an A motor is the shifter location. It comes up pretty far back, so if you're going to run a bench seat, you'll have to heat and bend the shifter stick.

One more issue is the clutch slave. Depending on where you put the motor, the slave can come very close to the torsion bar. Easily enough avoided if you know in advance.

I'd love to see the Mazda Miata 1.6 and 1.8 motors used in more swaps. They look super vintage, with the dual cam valve cover, and are also relatively small engines.

Here are a couple pics of the A12 I had in my green '65 320.

Datsun_320%20018%20Small_zpsb8ashrut.jpg

Datsun_320%20022%20Small_zps8xewyrp5.jpg

Thanks for the pictures and advice. I think the A engine sounds like the way to go for now. I'm going to use an automatic transmission, so no issues with clutch or shifter location.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kentodd said:

Thanks for the pictures and advice. I think the A engine sounds like the way to go for now. I'm going to use an automatic transmission, so no issues with clutch or shifter location.

You are tempting me with the Miata comment...I will try to resist, but if I end up with an engine and transmission, I might just have to make it work 😅

• Like 1

Yea that is my first 320 I owned, I did that vent piping before I knew what I was doing, it had an A15, dual SUs from Dan Hart, and a dogleg 5 speed when I sold it, I replaced the 320 idler arm with a 521 idler arm and that fixed the oil filter clearance issue just barely(the oil sensor would not clear so it had a mechanical oil gauge with a 90 degree fitting as I recall), the shift lever was about as far back as it could be without having to modify it, but the tunnel cover was modified. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, 320 Newb said:

@Stoffregen Motorsports do you know where your 320 ended up? Such a cool build. 

It got sold again, and was for sale about a year ago. I keep in touch with the guy I sold it to, and I could find out.

Funny story about the guy I sold it to. He grew up in Saharan Africa. He and his dad were driving an old Land Rover when they came across a rhino. The beast charged them and overturned their Rover.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It got sold again, and was for sale about a year ago. I keep in touch with the guy I sold it to, and I could find out.

Funny story about the guy I sold it to. He grew up in Saharan Africa. He and his dad were driving an old Land Rover when they came across a rhino. The beast charged them and overturned their Rover.

Hooooly

• Like 1

I don't know where you live in Canada, but I'm on the Oregon Coast. I have a core A14 and a good B210 auto trans that I'm not using. I even have a low milage A14 that I might get rid of if I can find a good 1.6L Suzuki/Geo tracker engine. I also have been trying to find a modern eng/trans for my 320NL. What I came up with is a 1.9 TDI Jetta engine adapted to a toyota 5 speed. Not the cheapest way to go, but almost no modifications to the firewall. They are really popular with the Samari folks, very short and make a ton of torque, 45 mpg is a norm. Also a Samari or Tracker engine fits. The Tracker is 1.6L and you can find the mult-port FI 16 valve motors that are great runners, but you have to fight off the Samari guys for them. I found out about the Suzuki engines  when I bought a Morris Minor convertible with a Samari engine in it. The A series Datsun engine are about the only modern engine that will fit in a Morris Minor just like the 320s

• Like 1

"supposedly capable of making 340 horsepower and a whole 500 pound-feet of torque " Could they be more vague? Where's the dyno sheet?

A little calculations shows that 500 ft lbs has to be below 3,580 RPMs or the hp would be over 340.  For example 500 ft lbs @ 3,600 RPMs would be 342hp.

I didn't read the article, but I suspect that's an Iron Duke 4cyl with an LS head on top. Those motors were already half of a small block Chevy V8, and they weren't as horrible as they sound. Oval dirt track racers used them in spades. I've seen them make over 300hp with a carburetor. My first Jeep had an Iron Duke and it wasn't the worst engine I ever had.

So, add an LS cylinder head and some EFI. I could see them making big hp.

Another half-a-V8 engine I've always loved is the 4.0L Mercruiser 4cyl which was half of a big block Ford. They had aluminum blocks and were very light. I built one many years ago for a racing boat and have always kept them in my future engine swap data banks.