Parts worthwhile off a 1978 HL510?

sick620

There is a 1978 HL510 in the yard near me. I already grabbed the NON matchbox dizzy off of it (the one you need a chevy hei or the seperate box to run). Wondering what else is worth grabbing? Its complete, front end damage hurt the valve cover and the cam/rockers etc (big hole in valve cover)... Do these crossmembers bolt into the old 510's? same oil pan and pickup? I shifted through the gears and I'm pretty sure its a 4 speed but I guess I wasn't really thinking about how the doglegs have reverse in the wrong spot so I should probably recheck that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If damaged then it was likely running and moving at the time.

In '78 only the 2 door hatchback had the 5 speed dogleg  as an option. The F4W63L is the same used in the 710 and should fit the earlier 510 and the '73 620.

Is the valve train ruined by exposure to the elements? rust?? The rest of the W58 head may be ok.

The intake on the '78 is divorced from the exhaust manifold and has larger diameter runners than the pre L20B L16/118. Carburetors are always good to have around.

The flywheel uses a 200mm clutch

The coli spring H-165 has a 3.545 ratio

The alternator is 50 amp internally regulated.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

If damaged then it was likely running and moving at the time.

In '78 only the 2 door hatchback had the 5 speed dogleg  as an option. The F4W63L is the same used in the 710 and should fit the earlier 510 and the '73 620.

Is the valve train ruined by exposure to the elements? rust?? The rest of the W58 head may be ok.

The intake on the '78 is divorced from the exhaust manifold and has larger diameter runners than the pre L20B L16/118. Carburetors are always good to have around.

The flywheel uses a 200mm clutch

The coli spring H-165 has a 3.545 ratio

The alternator is 50 amp internally regulated.

well it looks like a metal pole went through the valve cover and broke much of the valve train, the head may be ok but I'm assuming the cam, rockers etc are not so much looked pretty mangled in there through the hole in the valve cover. 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Icehouse said:

Point me the direction of someone paying money for a steering box.  I've recycled mountains of them.  

🤷‍♂️ Figured not nearly everyone has swapped to racks and could use a new(er) box. I mean, he didn't ask about flipping parts for profit...

• Like 1

If the oil pan is a FRONT SUMP, it would eventually sell (along with the oil pick up tube AND the dipstick).........may not sell quickly, like the 68-73 510 L16 pan & pick up are also getting harder to find!  I get asked every once in a while for a FRONT SUMP pan..............I've only ever had one.

If the intake manifold is a separate unit from the exhaust manifold (as datzenmike suggests), it should be cast "W58" on the top of the rear runner.  This W58 is the best flowing stock intake & it is a big port for all of the big port cylinder heads.

Dash switches, turn signal switch etc.

Tail lamps & other rear trim (sounds like the front trim is all smashed up??)

I'm not aware of much else, other than the fact it should be an L20B.  The L20B timing covers are getting harder to find WITHOUT the corrosion/pitting inside the water pump cavity............just a pain to pull in a junkyard, cuz often the crank bolt is hard to get off............bring a LONG breaker bar for as much leverage as you can get!  If you try, pull the water pump FIRST to check the cavity!  If the cavity is corroded/pitted, it is junk!

• Like 1
On 12/16/2022 at 9:55 PM, datzenmike said:

Maybe it was the B-210 for the steering box. It at least shares the bearings. Perhaps it was the wiper motor.

Yes, the 74-78 B210 steering box is the "upgrade".

On 12/16/2022 at 9:34 PM, Icehouse said:

Point me the direction of someone paying money for a steering box.  I've recycled mountains of them.  

I would agree regarding the HL510 steering box..............you aren't scraping 68-73 PL510 steering boxes, are you??  I've been selling more & more lately, and they are getting hard to find in good shape, as the worm gear wears out etc.  I usually sell as a CORE for people that want to send off for rebuilding, while maintaining their existing steering box to continue driving!  As discussed many times, the ONLY place I am aware of that rebuilds them PROPERLY is Redhead Gear!  Not cheap, but they address the worn worm gear, which all others (again, my experience) do NOT address!

17 hours ago, yenpit said:

If the oil pan is a FRONT SUMP, it would eventually sell (along with the oil pick up tube AND the dipstick).........may not sell quickly, like the 68-73 510 L16 pan & pick up are also getting harder to find!  I get asked every once in a while for a FRONT SUMP pan..............I've only ever had one.

If the intake manifold is a separate unit from the exhaust manifold (as datzenmike suggests), it should be cast "W58" on the top of the rear runner.  This W58 is the best flowing stock intake & it is a big port for all of the big port cylinder heads.

Dash switches, turn signal switch etc.

Tail lamps & other rear trim (sounds like the front trim is all smashed up??)

I'm not aware of much else, other than the fact it should be an L20B.  The L20B timing covers are getting harder to find WITHOUT the corrosion/pitting inside the water pump cavity............just a pain to pull in a junkyard, cuz often the crank bolt is hard to get off............bring a LONG breaker bar for as much leverage as you can get!  If you try, pull the water pump FIRST to check the cavity!  If the cavity is corroded/pitted, it is junk!

I have dismantled donor vehicles for their nuts and bolts and wiring connectors. Just having these pieces of hardware around is valuable.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, yenpit said:

I have a U67 head that did have the dry intake runners and co-joined to the exhaust manifold. I switched to an L16 casi iron exhaust and fitted a '79 W58 intake. Didn't have or want the smaller L16/18 intake. Drilled two 3/8 holes in the head to run this 'wet' intake and all was fine. I did remove the EGR and ground away and JB welded it to resemble the earlier smog free intake.

Here is the L20B intake..

wPXiRYX.jpg

I still have it somewhere. Switched to R-1 carburetors.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I have dismantled donor vehicles for their nuts and bolts and wiring connectors. Just having these pieces of hardware around is valuable.

Every time we strip a Datsun, we save EVERY factory nut bolt bracket hardware etc.......

When I go junkyarding, I do the same!

• Like 1
On 12/21/2022 at 11:05 AM, yenpit said:

Every time we strip a Datsun, we save EVERY factory nut bolt bracket hardware etc.......

When I go junkyarding, I do the same!

I've also started throwing nuts and bolts and small parts into five gallon buckets and having them plated for future use.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I've also started throwing nuts and bolts and small parts into five gallon buckets and having them plated for future use.

I have been doing that for 15 years, started doing it in Grand Rapids when I lived in MI, got my boss here to do it routinely, but for every build we do!  Freshly plated yellow zinc hardware on a freshly painted car is orgasmic..............🤣

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 5:41 PM, sick620 said:

There is a 1978 HL510 in the yard near me. I already grabbed the NON matchbox dizzy off of it (the one you need a chevy hei or the seperate box to run). Wondering what else is worth grabbing? Its complete, front end damage hurt the valve cover and the cam/rockers etc (big hole in valve cover)... Do these crossmembers bolt into the old 510's? same oil pan and pickup? I shifted through the gears and I'm pretty sure its a 4 speed but I guess I wasn't really thinking about how the doglegs have reverse in the wrong spot so I should probably recheck that.

i need some parts off that 78 if its still available and i will pay you and cover shipping