I 'also' scored a 510 wagon!!! :)

71DIMER

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

71DIMER:: I didnt realize that they were worth that much, if I had known that, I would have emailed him w/ an offer.

I'm glad it ended in good hands because it looks like a very nice goon.

congrats on the purchase and looking forward on seeing how it turns out. :thumbup:

i thought this was gonna be the (white) 68 i amtrying to get from el monte :cool: also had no interior, but was driveable & needing help.

this goon looks nicer though :drool:

wagons kick ass!!!

i have a set of 13X7 libres i may consider trading...or selling

Just in for a quick lunch at home (I can't access Ratsun from work anymore....damn firewall!)

dwnshfter: Just have to keep your eyes on craigslist. I just happend to be searching around 1:30pm when I found it. It was posted at around 11am that same day...so you have to jump on things and pull the trigger. If you wait someone else will have beat you to it.

]2eDeYe: Thanks...I'll do the carpet and make some panels for now to at least make it uniform. Probably just throw a cover over the rear seat to make it look better than it is right now. I was thinking the Watanbes but not sure how the offset will do on the fenders...only one way to find out though right!

Lex: Yeah I knew I had to act fast. If I had waited it would have busted through his ebay reserve and I would have been in a bidding war then...screw that. I'm glad I went out right away.

MikeRL411: Wow, that's a lot of great information to know. I appreciate it and may hit you up with some future questions, hope that'll work with you.

Datrod: Man I've heard about you and seen your goon by way of Mark...maybe we'll get to see you sometime while I'm visiting Mark again? Well by your definition I got a great deal then!!! I knew as soon as I saw it was a 1968 (which I verified on his paperwork right away) that it was a rare find. Then just to be in the condition it's in now, it was a no brainer. Not very often you see any 1968 Datsuns especially in solid running shape with absolutley everything stock working. The black plates were just icing on the cake for me!

73dat: Thanks, I have a full set of 13" or 14" to chose from on those Libres, as well as my minilites and Watanabes. I may play musical wheels until I find what I like on it. :)

420n620: Yeah they are rapidly going up on value, thanks to the goon thread on here showing eveyone's great rides! I can't wait to get to it but having this and my other 510 needing detail work, it'll probably be a slow project. :)

hang 510: Yeah I have extra wheels hahaha...thanks anyway.

Edited by 71DIMER

ummm Ya you SUCK...J/K. great score Mario and I kinda have a thing for the color too :lol: I am coming out to see that and your 2 door as soon as you get home. as far as wheels you better run the wantanabes (you know how much I love those wheels) call me soon

Clayton

I was going to buy it but the rust that he mentioned put me off.

In a couple years the dogleg will probably rust through judging by the small hole in the front fender. For a local buyer that is a great car. For me, to fly down and get a car with even a little bit of rust is not worth my hassle, so I passed on it.

Looks like a good project. Best year too!

I'm still jealous.

ummm Ya you SUCK...J/K. great score Mario and I kinda have a thing for the color too :lol: I am coming out to see that and your 2 door as soon as you get home. as far as wheels you better run the wantanabes (you know how much I love those wheels) call me soon

Clayton

Haha...I was wondering when you were gonna chime in buddy! I know it's like your color but I think yours is original paint isn't it? This is a repaint for sure. Definately come over, we'll have a mini meet of our own. Yeah I'll see which wheels will look best on it...kind of want to keep it small (13" libres or minilites) but the 15" Watanabe's will look good...well whichever wheels go on it I'll be picking your brain on how to lower it a bit.

I was going to buy it but the rust that he mentioned put me off.

In a couple years the dogleg will probably rust through judging by the small hole in the front fender.

Hey I'm glad that scared people off...actually it's a small patch. It's smaller than the rot Pac Coast removed and replaced on my 2 door so it's not at all an issue. I looked under the carpets, through the door panels and there's no other rust areas like that. It's been in that barn for years protected from the enviornment so it's clean. Plus here in California rust issues aren't as bad as they are up north.

Also I'm not sure where you got that it has a dogleg transmission...as I stated earlier it's a standard 4 speed transmission.

Edited by 71DIMER
what about all those classics in that big garage where you took the photos?

Nice 55 wagon in there, chopped top??

Was it sort of a barn find???

I didn't take the pics but yeah that's where it was inside that barn. He had all kinds of classics on there. Most if not all of them were old american cars. Some late 40's, 50's, 60's cars. He must buy/sell since when we went to his house he had new nice cars out side, and his house was REALLY nice.

Also I'm not sure where you got that it has a dogleg transmission...as I stated earlier it's a standard 4 speed transmission.

Dogleg = the sheet metal part of the rocker panel that is right before the rear wheel and is shaped like a dog's leg.

It is the beginning part of the rear wheel arch.

I don't imagine a dogleg 5 speed would rust through no matter how many years.

Is this the same '68 wagon that was on CL a week ago?

I live right by that guy and thought about it too but I have 9 cars right now that is taking up my valuable space at home

Damn good find, reminds me of my '68 510 I had picked up 12 years ago for $200 running and all original too, sold it for $700 a month later to get my bluebird..

what is the vin on the '68 since I'm checking to see if my claim still stands 12 years later, my '68 was vin#001575. It was on the cover of 510 again mag oct '97 I think

damn has it been that long LOL

I cannot beleive how sweet that car is! I really like the stock hubcaps. Itwould look killer lowered with just those:D Congrats on your awesome find!

Yeah slammed on the caps!!! Thats what I like too :D

what is the vin on the '68 since I'm checking to see if my claim still stands 12 years later, my '68 was vin#001575. It was on the cover of 510 again mag oct '97 I think

damn has it been that long LOL

I just checked, it's not the same VIN as yours :(

actually I was just saying my '68 red 4 door was very low serial, nice find, looks like brentwood/oakley area, I live pretty close by next to the bypass hwy 4...

Ah I gotcha...lol. I'll send you the VIN so you can tell me what it is.

Here's another pic of it at work (where it's safer than it would be at my place hahaha).

IMG_5915.jpg

Then I was messing around with the pic color settings:

Trying to make it look like Pac Coast's green goon hahah just kidding:

goongreen.jpg

I like how this came out :P

goonscaryred.jpg

Does yours have the B-piller dome lights? I wish mine did.

Yes it does but the cover housing is broken up. I'm not sure if I'll be easily able to find a replacement :(.

IMG_5917B.jpg

Mario, that cover looks just like a 521 dome lamp cover &..........i have 1 :D yours free!

You are right. The 410 and 411 sedans and the 521 pickup shared the same lamp assembly. I believe the 520 may have also but have never seen the inside of one. If someone had access to an old vacuform and some translucent plastic, he could whip out replacement light covers.

Edited by MikeRL411
added info
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update but had some time to kill so I decided to clean up my license plate frame.

Before

FrameBefore.jpg

Wire Brushed

WireBrushed.jpg

Primered

Primered.jpg

Painted Primary Color (Aluminum)

DSCN3761.jpg

Masked

FrameMasked.jpg

Painted Secondary Color

FrameBlack2.jpg

Unmasked

FramePainted2.jpg

Painted Raised Letters

FramePainted3.jpg

Edited by 71DIMER
how did you clean the frame?

Pretty much like I described on top of each pic but before anything I had to:

1) used a wire brush wheel on my drill.

2) filed down some of the bigger bumps on it.

I also cleaned up my rear plate, what do you think?

Before

DSCN3735.jpg

Frame Removed

DSCN3737.jpg

Steel wooled then washed with regular dish detergent

DSCN3742.jpg

Then used car polish and wax

DSCN3743.jpg

Here's the stack of stickers on it:

DSCN3736.jpg

I tried my best to leave the last one...but couldn't. It's the original 1968 DMV sticker!

DSCN3744-1.jpg

Here's how I know it's the original:

1968dmvsticker.jpg