Lisa's 15 cents

69FJWagon

Guest jaimesix

That is a very cool 510.

Your GF has great taste. The suspension looks great, why would you want to change the front set up?

The rear set up looks gr=ood, it is a coil over vs the regular spring and shock thing.

Nice.

Jaime.____________________________________________________

So my girlfriend (Lisa) went out and bought herself a '71 510. It just so happens that a good buddy of mine owned it for about 10 years previous to selling it to PoolGuru from here on the board. Just wanted to share a few pictures and a few of the plans for the car... Enjoy!

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Then last weekend I was down at Troy Ermish's shop and I installed a set of rear coil overs that were on my Fj 2-door to get the ride height level.

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

"Testing the handling"

IMG_0342.jpg

Here's Troy finishing off the broken automatic in his girlfriends 4-door

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a very cool 510.

Your GF has great taste. The suspension looks great, why would you want to change the front set up?

The rear set up looks gr=ood, it is a coil over vs the regular spring and shock thing.

Nice.

Jaime.____________________________________________________

Jaime...because Im her boyfriend and I cant leave anything alone...:lol:

J/K I like the adjustability of having coilovers in the front so I can play with ride height as well as spring rate (for autocross) and with the rear coilovers I can do the same as well as set the corner weights to try and get the car to be more balanced. fact is Lisa will PROBABLY never drive the car as hard as I do but if she does and wants to change anything we can. I will post the alignment specs when I am done setting the car up...:D

Clayton

Nice ride! So what size tires are you guy's running on the RB's?

QUOTE]

we are running 205-45s all the way around but I think I could squeeze* (SP) a 215 all the way around if I tried, and possibly a 235 in the rear.

Clayton

So I had a chance to fit Lisa's car into the schedule and put it on the dyno. We have been making (Troy & I) some jet changes to the carbs and wanted to make sure that we were close and as it turned out, we were. We made 2 passes and figured we were close enough and safe enough to go auto-x it this weekend, And possibly in the future do some playing around with a few different timing setting as well as trying the short air horns. I was pleasantly surprised as was Troy when we saw the numbers (155hp/151trq). Here's the dyno sheet from today...

IMG_0001.jpg

Wow that's good power! very cool ride what's the price on one of these motors?

Its a LONG story about the engine thats in Lisa's 510 but to make it short on pricing... like everything else it depends on how far you wanna take it so your talking anywhere from maybe $1000 for a stock rebuild long block to upwards of about $3000 - $3500 for a long block built like this one

-2.2 block with knife edge crank and fairly stock bottom end cant remember what pistons we used (its probably around 10.1 compression)

- the head (the expensive part) rebuilt Rebello head with a good amount of port work new/reconditioned rockers Isky Valve springs and a good size cam (Rebello grind)

-and all the machine work and labor to build it (adds up quick)

then you have the intake, carbs, header and accesories for the engine and also dyno tuning once its in and running

-Clayton

Damn Clayton, those are some impressive numbers! That thing is going to be a blast on the auto-x course. I wish I could make it this weekend, but the car still needs some sorting (tranny makes all kind of noises above 4k rpm). Are both you and Lisa going to be driving her car?

Damn Clayton, those are some impressive numbers! That thing is going to be a blast on the auto-x course. I wish I could make it this weekend, but the car still needs some sorting (tranny makes all kind of noises above 4k rpm). Are both you and Lisa going to be driving her car?

Duke I am going to drive it on Saturday and try to sort out the suspension and if Lisa feels comfortable enough on sunday (sunday,SUNNNDAY) she is going to drive it also.Man I wish you were gunna be there it would be a kick ass time with at least one other 510 to compare too :D

Yeah that is!!! Thats up above KA numbers which is some good power for a dime! Can't wait to hear how it does at the track :D

I am going to have VIDEO from outside and maybe inside the car :D:D

here are a few pictures taken this weekend at the Amarican Auto x event, I also was able to talk Lisa into taping a few of my runs as soon as I am able to upload I will post it

15cents4.jpg

15cents.jpg

15cents2.jpg

Cant really get a sense of speed from the pictures but I was in 3rd about 5500rpm threw the Slalom with the 4:38s felt like I was MOVIN :D :lol:

Clayton

SWEET! So how were your times compared to the other guys. Looking at the course it seems pretty wide open and more suited to big V8's. I really hope that I can come to a few of these over the summer...there will be more right?

Why wasn't Lisa driving? :D

Looking good man. After seeing that dyno sheet I bet it was flying.

Lisa decided to pass on driving this weekend and let me try to work the bugs out and give herself a little more time to get used to driving the car before racing it. Thanks for the compliments Lisa and I appriciate it

SWEET! So how were your times compared to the other guys. Looking at the course it seems pretty wide open and more suited to big V8's. I really hope that I can come to a few of these over the summer...there will be more right?

Duke, I cant say how I did against the rest of my class on saturday because I ran out of group but on sunday I can say I think I did pretty good exept for the corvettes and a camero I had to run against but I do get a break for running on street tires. I tried to compare myself against the guys that ran in my class (osp) with cars close to the 510 like the corollas (AE86) and I had them covered by almost 2 seconds I think and I had 3 or 4 tenths over a B stock 350Z :D... I had a great time and the car worked well for only really being done for 3 days after doing the alignment and odds and ends to ready it for the weekend.

So here is what I ended up with for my autocross set up and it goes against what most would say to run and Troy said I was crazy for running such high spring rates but my good friend Mike who is a 2 time national autocross champ and one hell of a suspension guy told me to run alot more spring rate than is commonly ran on a 510... so I'm told :confused: . I always wanted to try more spring but never really had the spring selection to choose from. Troy helped me with the alignment and Mike set up the spring rates to use

so here it is...

Total weight W/O driver 2126lbs / with driver (me the over weight guy :o) 2364lbs

left side weight 52.5%

rear weight 47.8%

cross 50.1

Front end:

-350lbs springs

-Camber 3 1/4*

-Castor 3-3.5*

-toe 1/16" in

Rear end:

-275lbs spring...Mike wanted me to run 350s but we couldnt meet up again to get them from him as he was lending me the springs to try so I will try them next event

-Camber 2 1/4*

- Toe 0" - I wanted to get at least a 16th or more but it took me a while just to get it set to 0 and I still needed to get more stuff done so I left it

-Rear sway bar (Old quickor adjustable) out of 4 holes I have it set in the second from full soft

the car was very well balanced with a slight bit of understeer and will probably go away with the increase of sring rate I plan on trying at the next event. what do you guys think???

Clayton

Those are nice dyno numbers. very similar set up to my engine. I am now wondering if I should switch gear ratios as i think that would move my tq #'s close to yours. would you be willing to tell what jets you are using so I can compare to what I have?

That has got to be a fun street car. Wife is sure going to have fun in it.

Hey Clayton, those spring rates look like they are from Canada! That is very similar to what alot of the guys up in B.C. on the510realm run. I have run the typical 200# wheel rate in my car before, and I thought that it was to soft. After talking to Keith (bertvorgon on the realm) and being educated on what he and Speciality Engineering have done, it is obvious that 200# is way to soft of a spring rate. My plan is to run 350# in the front and 1200# in the rear ( in the stock location, which traslates to a 300# wheel rate) with a 1 1/8 front sway bar and NO rear bar. That is one thing that he swears by, not running a rear sway bar. Part of his thinking is that the 510 rear suspension geometry is so bad, you want it to move as little as possible (hense the 300# wheel rate). He also recomends running a bunch of rear toe in (around 1/4" total toe) to help with the toe out situation in bump, and to make the car much more pridictable.

He has past a bunch more suspension knowledge along to me from what he has learned from his 30+ years of auto-xing and road racing. It is very obvious that they have tried everything in a quest to find what works best.

I had 300lbs springs in the rear of my car (T3 coilovers) They weren't that stiff, well when compared to a 620 on the bumps :D Spring rates are weird, I've always had everyone around run 300's up front, riding in all the cars with different dampeners makes a difference thats for sure! With my 300lbs springs and VW inserts it's almost to soft, but with adjustable inserts set to 5 it's like driving a 2x4!! :D

Duke I'm not going to put a rear bar in my SR car but would like to try one in my other car just to compare. I had one 510 with an 1 1/8" front bar and a 3/4" rear bar, that thing didn't lean ever!!

Hey Clayton, those spring rates look like they are from Canada! That is very similar to what alot of the guys up in B.C. on the510realm run. I have run the typical 200# wheel rate in my car before, and I thought that it was to soft. After talking to Keith (bertvorgon on the realm) and being educated on what he and Speciality Engineering have done, it is obvious that 200# is way to soft of a spring rate. My plan is to run 350# in the front and 1200# in the rear ( in the stock location, which traslates to a 300# wheel rate) with a 1 1/8 front sway bar and NO rear bar. That is one thing that he swears by, not running a rear sway bar. Part of his thinking is that the 510 rear suspension geometry is so bad, you want it to move as little as possible (hense the 300# wheel rate). He also recomends running a bunch of rear toe in (around 1/4" total toe) to help with the toe out situation in bump, and to make the car much more pridictable.

He has past a bunch more suspension knowledge along to me from what he has learned from his 30+ years of auto-xing and road racing. It is very obvious that they have tried everything in a quest to find what works best.

Duke the funny thing is I talked with Mike right before I read your post and he said the same thing 350# springs in the rear and no rear bar and he also wants me to increase the rear toe to at least a 1/8" in to maybe a 1/4" I cant wait to drive the car again with this set up and what would be even cooler would be to have you come out and run the may 17th 18th event and we can beat up on some newer cars with 35 year old imports :lol::lol:

Ice, you hit it on the head with the damper thing, the problem with running big spring rates is the shocks / dampers are usally not designed or valved to handle to much spring rate and you usally over heat the shock and end up BLOWING the shock so to speak. I always try to tell people to not go cheap on shocks spend the money for the quality. When i first started autocrossing I was told that tokico illumina shocks were good shock for the money so I told the guy I was codriving his car with that I would spend the money on the shocks and struts for his mustang...long story short the 1000# springs upfront made the front struts last a total of two event weekend thats only 40 runs and they were garbage and tokico said they wouldn't warranty them because they were NOT designed for that much spring rate :mad:

This is the video Lisa shot last weekend from the autocross. after the 3rd run it starts the second day... my first run on the second day I was pushing a little hard for being on cold tires and as you will see I had a bit of an off course excursion :lol: Lisa did good for her first time shooting video of racing without a tripod. There was a lot of time left out there but unfortunatly I wasnt able to find it :(

enjoy

Clayton

listen close to my sponser list... I had to give love to the best site on the web:D

There was a lot of time left out there but unfortunatly I wasnt able to find it :(

enjoy

Clayton

Slow and steady wins the race:D.

Turned my very fastest time ever at an autocross, right after a veteran racer gave me that advise. Needed to relax a lot, was trying way too hard. Shaved about 3 seconds off a 45 second course that lap, coundn't repeat that time either.

Nice video too. Lisa, you do darn fine camera work.

what is the car running for exhaust it sounds bad ass

Thanks B, I was a little worried that I wouldnt like the sound but its ok for now kinda sounds like a boat at idle though :mad:... its a comp header into 2.5" exhaust into a magnaflow resonator into a magnaflow knockoff can with 2.5" tip. I would like to put a regular magnaflow muffler out back just to tone it down a bit it tends to be hard to hear someone talking in the seat next to you when your rolling down the freeway

Clayton