1985 nissan 720 headlights

Elye

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The two inner lamps have a high beam filament and come on only on high beams. The outer lamps have both high and low beam filaments. On low beams the two outer lamps light. When switched to high beams the low beams turn off and all four lamp's high beam filaments light up. The high beam filament in the right outer bulb is either burned out or the plug is loose.

• Like 1

Thanks Datzenmike, I’ll give it a shot.

Hey NC85ST, that is my old Harley air cleaner, if you turn the picture sideways it may look more familiar.

I fabricated a mount from a piece of exhaust tubing and stuck it over the carb.

I’ll put some pictures up.

My homemade ram air does work! She’ll do over 100 mph. any time I ask her to!

Oh, I do get lots of thumbs up for the look.97A36767-9148-432F-B8EB-D849131F688E.thumb.jpeg.997dcf1f2efdb3871b8c97d1d1b0a7ea.jpegE3BD6F29-798A-4F1E-AFE5-57FDF6C6663D.thumb.jpeg.bf2c1d1e0996a09baf5dd275f77c84ef.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 12:13 PM, 7twentyguy said:

I’ve got a question regarding headlights,

I’ve changed my lights to LED .

All four lights are the same, when low beam is on the outer lights work, when high beams are on the inner lights work.

Does anyone know how I can get all four lights to work at once?

109FF44F-9CF7-4D4C-95F8-48AFBF24171C.jpeg

Where did you buy the headlamps? I want to upgrade to LEDs so curious on where you got them. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

This is a halogen bulb and no better than stock. LEDs have not been perfected yet and if spending less than $150 per bulb you get terrible lumen count and crap beam pattern. The majority of LED lamps are no better and often worse than stock. Chinese crap try to outdo each other in how many lumens they print on the package and they are never held accountable. Find a you-tube that compares brands but you will find that the good ones are hundreds of dollars. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

This is a halogen bulb and no better than stock. LEDs have not been perfected yet and if spending less than $150 per bulb you get terrible lumen count and crap beam pattern. The majority of LED lamps are no better and often worse than stock. Chinese crap try to outdo each other in how many lumens they print on the package and they are never held accountable. Find a you-tube that compares brands but you will find that the good ones are hundreds of dollars. 

I never order anything with extensive research. This was just a cursory glance. I always check the reviews, watch videos on the brand, and check reviews on duckduckgo before I buy anything. Thanks though for looking out 🙂 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, datzenmike said:

You almost have to buy one to compare it to the ones you have. Don't be surprised if they are not any brighter.

Yea, my last datsun I bought new headlights and it was not much different. I may just keep them as they are pretty bright and just get better bulbs or something. 

• Like 1

A few years back I Installed all new Wagner headlights and they were dimmer than stock same with the new sylvanias I just installed.  I do hope that the LED headlights for the 720s get to be better in time.  If any one knows of LEDs for the 720 that are descent and put out good light and pattern please post links in the 720 Parts Thread Please

The trouble with LEDs are the light source isn't at a small single point like a filament or like an HID. Most (the cheap ass ones) are multiple LEDs peppered all over the 'bulb assy' and the resulting beam pattern also poor and all over the place. The best ones have a projector lens with a cut off gate so there is a sharp shadow zone to the relief of on coming drivers. This is why I went with HID in a projector housing. LEDs just aren't there yet.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The trouble with LEDs are the light source isn't at a small single point like a filament or like an HID. Most (the cheap ass ones) are multiple LEDs peppered all over the 'bulb assy' and the resulting beam pattern also poor and all over the place. The best ones have a projector lens with a cut off gate so there is a sharp shadow zone to the relief of on coming drivers. This is why I went with HID in a projector housing. LEDs just aren't there yet.

Got a link or something to show what kind of lights they are? If you're saying they are better than LEDs I'll search for a style I like. 

• Like 1

Low beams need a cut off so you don't blind oncoming traffic. I hate how car and truck owners upgrade to HID using a reflector made for a filament bulb and blind traffic with 5 times the light. Low beams are used the most yet they need to be bright enough to see as far ahead as possible. Most headlights are not good for speeds above 30 mph and it's easy to outrun them. By the time you see something, decide to brake, and get on the brakes.... you can't stop in time. If going with HID (which is basically an arc welder in headlight form) you need a projector housing.

You want something (rectangular 4" x 6"?) that will swap right into your truck. Should have a projector lens to focus the light head rather than spraying everyone. With a lens a cut off gate can be used for low beam. Expect to pay over a hundred each for LED or HID. Good lighting isn't cheap and a lot are worse than the originals they replace.

This kind of LED is everything wrong with headlights today... Under $20.

4 PCS 4×6 Inch H4651 H4652 LED Headlights Hi/Lo Sealed Beam Replace Projector  Rectangular H4656 H6545 Headlamp Peterbil KW Kenworth Freightinger Ford  Probe Chevy Oldsmobile Cutlass – Doxmall

• Like 2