Elye

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

Do you have a link to where you got them?

It can be done by just replacing the bulbs and installing a resistor/electronic flasher. The DOT approval is questionable and worth taking into consideration when going that route

• Like 1
5 hours ago, captain720 said:

It can be done by just replacing the bulbs and installing a resistor/electronic flasher. The DOT approval is questionable and worth taking into consideration when going that route

DO you replace them with a LED bulb? and can you expand on the resistor/electronic flasher? Kind of don't know what that is. I am new to all of this so sorry about that. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

I found a bunch on amazon with good review. I am going to assume you just install it like a regular bulb?

Yep. Brake lights, headlights are fine. The only real issue with LEDs is in the turn signal circuit. The old style flashers need some resistance to operate. This is solved by installing a resister inline with the new bulb or a new flasher unit. Waste of time really for the flashers.

• Like 2

I had to put resistors on both rear turn/brake lamps like the ones above so the flasher would work. I think the lamps are 20 watt so at 12v that's 1.66 amps. Using E/I x R then the resistance is 7.22 ohms. A 7 or 8 ohm resister will draw the correct current to trigger the flasher however it's still 20 watts and that's huge for a resister. You can run a higher wattage rating, this is just it's ability to shed heat.

OHMITE 850F200E

• Like 1
13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I had to put resistors on both rear turn/brake lamps like the ones above so the flasher would work. I think the lamps are 20 watt so at 12v that's 1.66 amps. Using E/I x R then the resistance is 7.22 ohms. A 7 or 8 ohm resister will draw the correct current to trigger the flasher however it's still 20 watts and that's huge for a resister. You can run a higher wattage rating, this is just it's ability to shed heat.

OHMITE 850F200E

If I just install them on my headlights do I need the resister? 

• Like 1

With LEDs you will want to buy red for red lenses amber for amber lenses and green for green and blue for blue.  Because of the brightness of the LEDs if you use whitet LEDs behind colored lenses you will not see much of the color.

6 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

No. The headlights just use a simple relay. The resistor is to give flasher unit some resistance otherwise it doesn't sense the bulb because the current draw is so low for a LEDs. 

I am new to all of this. Can you show me a resistor that could work? I am trying to learn all of this and its all very complicated but I do love it. 

• Like 1

I didn't put LEDs in the turn signals. If you do that is why you need a resistor to "trick" the flasher to work. You may be able to substitute a new flasher from a modern car but why bother for turn signals? I wanted bright headlights, tail lights and brake lights.  No resistor needed. I don't know why Mike needed a resistor for his brake lights. The brake lights operate off a switch. Anyways here is a shot of my LED headlights while off. It is a glass housing and replaceable bulbs. Got them of ebay for about $70.

20211003_173816.jpg

• Like 1

Because the brake and the turn signals use a shared bulb. This is true on my 710 and the 620.

19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

OHMITE 850F200E

https://www.amazon.ca/uxcell®-Aluminum-Resistor-Wirewound-Resistors/dp/B07D21493L/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=8+ohm+20+watt+resistor&qid=1633297665&sr=8-13

71S3wppUfwL._SL1100_.jpg

I'm guessing the stock turn signal bulbs are 20 watt??? Just wire this in parallel with the LEDs

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Because the brake and the turn signals use a shared bulb. This is true on my 710 and the 620.

https://www.amazon.ca/uxcell®-Aluminum-Resistor-Wirewound-Resistors/dp/B07D21493L/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=8+ohm+20+watt+resistor&qid=1633297665&sr=8-13

71S3wppUfwL._SL1100_.jpg

I'm guessing the stock turn signal bulbs are 20 watt??? Just wire this in parallel with the LEDs

720s have their own separate bulbs for turn signals that would explain the confusion.

20211003_180048.jpg

• Like 1

I hate getting blinded by cheap LEDs that aren’t properly focused . 
On my Z I went with Cibie lens and relays because my 71 didn’t have relays . The lights are equivalent to by 2017 VW lights . The lens makes all the difference and how the bright light is focused . I would not consider LEDs unless there was a proven lens that works with it 

• Thanks 1