Ratsun to Datsun Makeover San Diego Edition

71DIMER

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TY Ray hey lets talk shop soon. Your 521 deff. needs paint soon :D Ok Mario left early this morning to head home. Last night we got all of the remaining trim pieces installed & now she looks like a 510 again. Overall it was a fun car to work on & was my pleasure to help out a friend. The other day I took a vid of me driving the car back from the body shop..enjoy.

th_MOV01663.jpg

Jersey..... Isn't that where the John Travolta type guys come from? I don't think I've ever met anyone from Jersey that actually had a car in a magazine. At least not that I remember.

I guess growing up enough to move on is over your head, shame.

Look, You're the one that started this whole mess. You come waltzing in here with Your miniscule 80 posts and start telling My brother (yes, He is My brother) just how lame His bodywork is. And You expect Me to sit by and not cover His back? I helped Mark move and the back of My Xterra was FULL of trophys that He has won with His many projects. He has done bodywork that You could only DREAM of accomplishing. As for My accomplishments, I'll let others on here speak for Me. I was building trucks probibly before You were born. I mold My own fiberglass with My first project back in 1975. What I am saying is that I, Myself, know something about bodywork. And I would be PROUD to let Mark work on anything I own. Yes, of coarse I am going to say something. As I would for ANY of My other brothers getting dissed by a newby. Most of Us came on this forum from another one and go back 8 YEARS or so!! So quit trying to stir Us all up.

Look, You're the one that started this whole mess. You come waltzing in here with Your miniscule 80 posts and start telling My brother (yes, He is My brother) just how lame His bodywork is. And You expect Me to sit by and not cover His back? I helped Mark move and the back of My Xterra was FULL of trophys that He has won with His many projects. He has done bodywork that You could only DREAM of accomplishing. As for My accomplishments, I'll let others on here speak for Me. I was building trucks probibly before You were born. I mold My own fiberglass with My first project back in 1975. What I am saying is that I, Myself, know something about bodywork. And I would be PROUD to let Mark work on anything I own. Yes, of coarse I am going to say something. As I would for ANY of My other brothers getting dissed by a newby. Most of Us came on this forum from another one and go back 8 YEARS or so!! So quit trying to stir Us all up.
You're still missing the fact that he commented about one spot in particular. You're also missing the fact that said spot rusts from the inside out due to metal panels being sandwiched together at a spot that easily can collect moisture, and putting a patch over it without dealing with the inherent problem (the sandwiched metal also extends further than what was currently rusted out) is going to result in the same spot bubbling and rotting through again. I don't understand the philosophy some people have where doing something cool is all that's important, regardless of how well it's done. Sure, the car looks good from a few small pictures and given the timeframe, but I doubt it's going to win any awards for paint/bodywork when inspected closely. You don't need a lot of posts to make a comment like that - post counts are meaningless. Drop the "bro" mentality and take the comments for what they are - constructive criticism. There are right ways to do things and wrong ways, full dedication and half-assed, and middle ground in between both. No amount of posts or bro-love changes that.
TY Ray hey lets talk shop soon. Your 521 deff. needs paint soon :D Ok Mario left early this morning to head home. Last night we got all of the remaining trim pieces installed & now she looks like a 510 again. Overall it was a fun car to work on & was my pleasure to help out a friend. The other day I took a vid of me driving the car back from the body shop..enjoy.

th_MOV01663.jpg

dude you were doing 40 at a stop light :eek:

I left San Diego around 6am and was stuck in LA's lovely morning rush traffic for quite a while. I would have posted pics yesterday but I had to go straight to the hospital after my dad called me while I was driving home telling me my mom had to go to the ER do to some severe stomach pains. She's got some sort of blockage in her intestines and may require surgery so I stayed until visiting hours were over. By the time I actually made it home, I was beat.

I took pics of a mini meet we had in San Diego but I'll post those when I have some time.

Ok I also just wanted to say with this CONTINUING back and forth, guys we all need to realize that (one) 72240z did come on my thread sounding disprespectful, I mean using the word terrible is putting down your work. He could have come on here and worded his reply differently and have came off like offering useful advuce. Yes he has since appologizing for coming off that way and that was not his intent and I belive him and told him to offer any other advice he thinks is worth offering.

Now (two) yes those of us that know Mark will stand up for him, myself included, we, or at least I am not saying I ever wanted my car to be show award winning. I just wanted something that will look nicer than what I had before, which was a crappy pervious owner purchased Maaco paint job and piss poor bodywork, rust holes, dents galore...so as-is I am SUPER happy with the results. Not only does it look way better than before, I also got to spend time with my friend and get my hands dirty by working on my own car. I loved that. Sure it won't win my any awards but that wasn't the kind of time and $$$ that was thrown at it.

I posted this thread to share the process and get some color choice ideas, and some of you are straying from that so let's get back to the purpose of the thread ok? :P

HaHa you caught that Bonovo. I'm planning on replacing all the guages to bigger ones which is why I haven't gotten to fixing that yet. It must be wired to the tach so the tach is reving pretty good at a stop so the speedo always says I'm going 25mpg+ and the odometer is always ticking away even when I'm stopped.

Mario, Thank You. Back to business. Your car looks awesome. Also, the fact that You logged miles on it is impressive. Very cool and I hope to meet You someday. Enjoy Your "new" car!!! Mike

Look This is the last response I'm posting. I started it and I finished it, then you rehashed it with your childish posts. Then I let it go and asked you to move on so what did you do? talk shit about jersey? But I'm the one trying to stir you up? I can definitely see how apologizing would do that, dip shit. I don't care who he is to you, it doesn't involve you and it never did.

Beyond that your brother is a big boy and he stands up for himself just fine. Again you sit there attacking me, feel free, you don't know me just like I don't know you. From the quality and content of your posts however you seem like a very immature person.

"Dissed by a newby" lol you must be the younger brother.

I'm really damn tired of this thread being sidetracked over bullshit, will be no more responses from me. My advice would be to show you care by MOVING THE FUCK ON AND LETTING YOUR BROTHERS THREAD CONTINUE WITHOUT THIS KIDY BULLSHIT.

Best of luck to all involved.

It's just a car, Damn nice car by the way. 240z I don't know you but you seem like a stand up guy that's not going to take shit, Good for you, I do know mark & steroid, Both stand up guys that have been on this site for quite awile, With some really good info, And how to type stuff. I think steroid was just looking out for a friend, Lets get back to Mario's car and see some more pic's.:D

Hey Mario, are those panasports or rotas? Also what size and offset, thanks!

Nice choice of color too, really POPS compared to the silver. :thumbup:

Hey zuum, yeah they're Panasports. I'm not a big fan of Rotas or Konigs, they just look off to me. I'd rather get the real deal. They're 16x7 0 offset, perfect for my bubble flared dime :)

Hey sorry for lagging on the pics...it's been a busy couple days with being at the hospital with my mom (she's doing fine now, recovering from surgery). Here's some recent ones.

Here's Mark picking me up at the San Diego airport in it, trim less at this point:

DSCN3496-1.jpg

Some more pics of it at Mark's pad:

DSCN3501-1.jpg

DSCN3500-1.jpg

DSCN3499-1.jpg

And here it is back at my place....550 miles later. :)

DSCN3607.jpg

DSCN3606.jpg

DSCN3605.jpg

One thing that was bugging me forever was having to use a cheap prop to hold the hood open, like this:

DSCN3597.jpg

But today me and my friend Hector hooked me up with some struts so we put them on.

Struts and supplies:

DSCN3596.jpg

All done:

DSCN3601.jpg

Still a lot of things left to do to it...in time :)

Edited by 71DIMER