R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good video :)

As a long time bike mechanic ( 30+yrs) I have heard this before and can tell ya the very first thing I would check is your sync between the carbs. The popping and the lumpity run down from revving the car is from that IMHO (assuming the motor is healthy and doesn't have compression probs).

Not sure how guys have done the sync on these when mounted on a car before but you should be using a mercury tool or similar to see what each cylinder is pulling. Since your manifold has the carbs as true ITB's you can tap into the runners with small 1/8 in vacuum fittings and get them sync'd quickly.

:)

--Ray

BEBmF.jpg

Thanks for the info! I need to get these sync'd and jetted right according to the wideband. Then I might be in buisness. :)

Haha yeah. I cant weld, dont have the time to learn, cant afford a welder, and dont plan to use it enough to justify any of it anyway. Oh well, not a big deal. Ill figure this all out later. Just go to the Weber now and spend the effort on something else. Ill keep and eye out on this thread in the meantime.

Lemme see if I can find you a pic of the sync screws on your carb set......BRB.

OK, here's a decent pic of a set with the 3 sync screw positions highlighted. As the "master" carb (the one directly connected to the thr cable) is the left (I believe), I would sync the adjacent carb to it, then the 3rd then the last. :)

r1_carbs.jpg

Haha yeah. I cant weld, dont have the time to learn, cant afford a welder, and dont plan to use it enough to justify any of it anyway. Oh well, not a big deal. Ill figure this all out later. Just go to the Weber now and spend the effort on something else. Ill keep and eye out on this thread in the meantime.

Not for nothing but try and start thinking differently about that whole shit you just typed.

• Like 2

its a shame motion pro doesn't make the mercury sync tool anymore.

Maybe not but their Syncpro is still a pretty cool tool. To use regular liquid though Id save the 100 bucks and make my own.

Not for nothing but try and start thinking differently about that whole shit you just typed.

:lol: ,,, I'll translate what 72240z meant haha ^^^ = Tristin you're going to want to learn how to weld at some point when/if you have spare time. It unlock's the ability to be creative/repair/save money and is fun sometimes just to break the sucker out and weld away frustration ,,, or create noise so you don't have to listen to nagging :lol: lol

I mean you're a Machinist by trade correct ? + welding = some VERY cool creations could come out of this !

I started ARC welding as a hobby when I was 15 . I think it's one of the most useful skills I've learned to this day. I still enjoy ARC welding the most.

• Like 1

:lol: ,,, I'll translate what 72240z meant haha ^^^ = Tristin you're going to want to learn how to weld at some point when/if you have spare time. It unlock's the ability to be creative/repair/save money and is fun sometimes just to break the sucker out and weld away frustration ,,, or create noise so you don't have to listen to nagging :lol: lol

I mean you're a Machinist by trade correct ? + welding = some VERY cool creations could come out of this !

I started ARC welding as a hobby when I was 15 . I think it's one of the most useful skills I've learned to this day. I still enjoy ARC welding the most.

Thank you

I figured thats what he meant, but I figured I explained it well enough that I cant do any of that right now. I would love to learn to weld, but I have no money for any type of good welder. I dont have access to a welder to practice on, and I dont know anyone who has one that would be willing to teach me. Then if all of that was met, I dont have the time to learn a new skill like that... too busy trying to scratch by right now. All in due time though, thats why I said I would watch this thread.

I thought all of that was obvious from my original post.

Learning even the most basic shit about welding is learning it doesnt require any large sum of money. A usable welder can be had for under 100 dollars, using good wire or rod you can do 90% of what would be required on a car. Its a skill thats worth finding the time, an hour a week anyone has and is all thats needed.

I said what I did because the entire outlook is incorrect. I know that wasnt obvious from my original post and I guess it wasnt from DTP's but it should be now.

I figured thats what he meant, but I figured I explained it well enough that I cant do any of that right now. I would love to learn to weld, but I have no money for any type of good welder. I dont have access to a welder to practice on, and I dont know anyone who has one that would be willing to teach me. Then if all of that was met, I dont have the time to learn a new skill like that... too busy trying to scratch by right now. All in due time though, thats why I said I would watch this thread.

I thought all of that was obvious from my original post.

you can get a meh welder under $300...

I've got a licoln electric and it's a meh.. and it's perfectly fine for most of what I use it for.

welded my seat brackets, made some shooting targets.. nothing i'm really proud of yet.. but i taught myself, and some with some help on youtube.

it's really easy actually.. MIG takes a lot of practice to look pretty.. but it's def the easiest.. just set amperage and wire speed.. done.

Of course this was my dads old machine.. i'm sure you can source one on Craigslist pretty easy.

What DTP said btw... :lol:

DTP's welds remind me of welding with a 12v battery... :lol: jk.. but that's doable too.. (JK DON'T DO THAT UNLESS YOU WANNA BE ON THE FABRICATION FAIL THREAD)

I kidd DTP

You beat me to it 71240z ollz

Its still not a skill I need or can afford right now (whether its time or money). I dont have the $100 do invest in even the most basic welder. I understand that its a skill worth having, I just cant invest into it like youre expecting. Theres a reason why my build thread sits inactive, theres a reason that there was a scramble here to find me a job, theres a reason I dont do much throughout the week...

I appreciate you guys trying to get me to learn, but its not going to happen for awhile. I wouldnt even have the space to store or use a welder where I live. Living on the second floor of an apartment will do that.

Its still not a skill I need or can afford right now (whether its time or money). I dont have the $100 do invest in even the most basic welder. I understand that its a skill worth having, I just cant invest into it like youre expecting. Theres a reason why my build thread sits inactive, theres a reason that there was a scramble here to find me a job, theres a reason I dont do much throughout the week...

I appreciate you guys trying to get me to learn, but its not going to happen for awhile. I wouldnt even have the space to store or use a welder where I live. Living on the second floor of an apartment will do that.

no worries man ,, we were rooting for ya to what to look forward to :)

you can get a meh welder under $300...

I've got a licoln electric and it's a meh.. and it's perfectly fine for most of what I use it for.

welded my seat brackets, made some shooting targets.. nothing i'm really proud of yet.. but i taught myself, and some with some help on youtube.

it's really easy actually.. MIG takes a lot of practice to look pretty.. but it's def the easiest.. just set amperage and wire speed.. done.

Of course this was my dads old machine.. i'm sure you can source one on Craigslist pretty easy.

What DTP said btw... :lol:

DTP's welds remind me of welding with a 12v battery... :lol: jk.. but that's doable too.. (JK DON'T DO THAT UNLESS YOU WANNA BE ON THE FABRICATION FAIL THREAD)

I kidd DTP

You beat me to it 71240z ollz

:rofl: ,,, I keep debating in my head whether or not to submit my build thread to the Fabrication Fail thread ,,, hahahaha.

steering back on topic ,,, 72240z ,,, those homemade carb sync tools look very practical ! nice find

• Like 1

Annnnnnyway back on track I have seen these. Think that fab work is worth every penny of what they are asking.

Agreed. That mani is gorgeous. I'm jealous of those aluminum skills. Building your own(which I did) really makes you appreciate work like that. The intake mani on my car was THE hardest thing I built on that car yet. And that includes custom coilovers on all 4 corners, replacing the floors, flipping the crossmember, doing my own exhaust, AND building a header from scratch....oh AND learning CAD to design my own flanges for the intake and exhaust.(Omg just realized how much time I've put into this car holy crap) :blink:

AAAAnnnnywayy. I'd love to have a manifold like that one. BUT, I'm cheap. And I like to live by whats in your sig. Didn't build it? It's not yours....

:thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 2