R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speaking of filters, this past weekend I installed a spare rebuilt L20B that came with the car. While I haven't managed to actually start the car yet, I can confirm that Pipercross filter that I've got on my R1 carbs lightly touches the hood. I will want to fix that before the element gets worn down.

The filter's backplate has already been offset down as much as possible and I'm already running the shallowest filter Pipercross offers. So i'm looking into the option of having the Bogg runners shortened 1/2" where they bolt onto the carbs.

Once the car is running, I will confirm if the 1.8mm jets are adequate for the 2.0L. My 1.6mm jets were perfect for the L16.

Attached is a pic of the filter on my L16 and where the hood now touches it with the L20B installed.

PipercrossRub.jpg

What's the height if the filter from backing plate to letters?

Total height of the filter is 7cm (from backplate to top - where 'Pipercross' is written).

I managed to get the L20B fired up last night. It's leaking a little coolant from the termostat housing but I was able to take a quick spin and the extra Tq over the L16 is nice! The demanor of the car (sound and feel) is definitely more gruff if that makes sense. The R1 carbs (running w/o filter until I figure out my clearance issue) can now be clearly heard in the cabin which wasn't the case with the 1.6. :thumbup:

During the whole start-up phase (dizzy was off 180 degrees) the plugs got pretty fouled up from oil in the cylinders (to lube a long-dormant motor) and even a bit of flooding. However, the 10 min drive managed to bring the plugs back to nice light rust/tan color, so 1.8mm jets are looking like a good starting point for the 2.0L.

Thanks for the measurement. Ive got filter plans for mine and I need to make sure they are going to clear the BMC and hood.

Glad you got it all worked out to get them running on the L20. I cant wait to run mine on an L20. My L16 auto just isnt cutting it anymore.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised Tristin. With the L20B in it now, I would consider my 510 to be a 'brisk' machine. It's not fast when compared to many modern cars, but like those European 4 cylinder turbo-diesels it's still a whole lot of fun to drive despite being somewhat slow.

In fact, despite only having a short time with the L20B, I can say that I'm pleased enough with the power that my plans for a KA24e have been shelved. I just can't justify the KA24e power potential over the block's rebuild/fitment cost (plus new R1 manifold) and the extra 100+lbs of weight on the nose - especially when a never-started rebuilt L20B was included with my car. Worse case scenario, a future LZ23 build will further close that power gap while keeping the costs low (re-use the same R1 manifold and no fitment costs) and maintaining the weight balance which is a priority for me.

I'll continue to provide updates on the jetting and my filter fitment. Good luck with your project!

Ive seen many people swap to the L20b and are very happy... I have no doubts that it will be quite a pleasure after tooling around in this crappy L16. Honestly though, I think my biggest problem is my carb so once I install these bike carbs, it will drastically improve my driving experience.

WEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL..............developed a valve tick.....Pulled valve cover. Found one of my rocker shaft bolts was completely backed out and ALL the other were quite loose......OMG that coulda been bad.

Either we forgot to torque them putting it together or they backed out somehow. Either way no damage(amazingly) and its back on the road!

Made a quick video of exhaust note 1-4th gear.

• Like 1

just found these afordable volocity stacks with filters. They also have pod filters that fit R1 carbs (45mm).

http://www.z1parts.net/product/carb-velocity-stack-42mm-44mm-50mm-52mm-54mm

http://www.z1parts.net/product/pod-air-filters-for-motorcycles-36mm-38mm-39mm-42mm-44mm-45mm-46mm

I bought the pod filters and with shipping it came to like $36.00 after 5% off coupon "join"

Now I can cut my hood and replace my "filter" screens with real filters.