R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dont follow, mike...

the KA intake only has water at the front by the no.1 runner, if i remember correctly.

id have to guess this is where itd have to leak.. also i bet the intake, since its steel, is getting a little out of whack when it warms up and the leak starts.

is that what the white puffs are every other few hits in the vidya, vintage?

Tap and plug those two water holes.
What are you talking about Mike ? ? ? Ka24e. Not L
Tap and plug those two water holes.
i dont follow, mike... the KA intake only has water at the front by the no.1 runner, if i remember correctly. id have to guess this is where itd have to leak.. also i bet the intake, since its steel, is getting a little out of whack when it warms up and the leak starts. is that what the white puffs are every other few hits in the vidya, vintage?

Mike you been drinking!??!

Again we are confused. I think YOU think we are talking l motor with the little water passages in the intake. But we are talking KA24e. With the water neck coming right out next to #1 cly.

And Farmer, I think the white smoke is water leak. Doesnt look blue enough for oil and its new. Just put the intake back on so I think I need to seal it up better. Pulling carbs today to see if theres coolant in #1 runner. never ends............

Not warped. It sealed fine before. But

Now I think I spoke too soon. I think it's burning oil.... :(

Maybe valve seals? I dunno if the guy changed them when he fixed the head

When I pressurized the runners is there any way the seals could have been pushed out of place or anything???

Smells like oil when running. After I let it idle till it warmed up today I revved it up and got a big poof of smoke then the smoke wasn't as bad anymore. Hopefully it will cure itself maybe was from sitting for two weeks I dunno

There was fuel sitting in the runners when I pulled the carbs today before running it. No coolant though pretty sure. Scared me at first cause the fuel in number one was really dark and looked like oil but was Rhein and smelled like gas. I was like how the crap did oil get in the runner!?!? It's (up hill) from the valves. But later realized there was probably some black paint overspray in the runner. That makes black gas. :)

Smells like oil when running. After I let it idle till it warmed up today I revved it up and got a big poof of smoke then the smoke wasn't as bad anymore. Hopefully it will cure itself maybe was from sitting for two weeks.

This type of behavior is usually indicative of bad valve seals, but you should probably do a leak down test to make sure.

I don't want to read 40 pages...

What was the final result? Do the R1 carbs work good on an L20b?

Good power? fuel Efficiency?

I can get a set of R1 carbs cheap and make the manifold for free.

I like them, everyones already trial and errored the tuning, fab a mani, run a throttle cable, as easy as that!

As for fuel effiency, i get 22 out of my boosted l20b.. id imagine you can get better minus the boost

I don't want to read 40 pages...

What was the final result? Do the R1 carbs work good on an L20b?

Good power? fuel Efficiency?

I can get a set of R1 carbs cheap and make the manifold for free.

Read up and slap it on your fuzzy wall.........or.......stick with your Hitachi

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm going to go over the thread for the basics of the install and such, but have been pouring over some ZX9r forums/threads getting some specifics and troubleshooting. I was told they were in running condition when I picked them up, but I'm sure there's some minor adjustments that are going to need to be made in order to run perfectly due to engine differences (1.8 VW vs. 1.6 L-series)