R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what motorcycles would have triple setups (three carbs), and would a single set be ok to run 2 cylinders on it or should be using single carb for each cyl(two sets)?

Does marine carbs perform the same ?

I read your post like 4 times...........was so confused.

Then came to the conclusion you must have a 6 cyl?? If I had a v6 id use one single downdraft carb thats cheap and ez like a holley or edelbrock 4 barrel.

If you have a inline 6 you could get 2 sets of carbs off a 3 cyl bike. But linking them together might be a pain..

yes, I have six cyl, kind of annoyed that 4 cyl people get the ready product and even cheaper than a inline six, anyhow would like to really know what bike would have carburators worth putting on car, I asked my uncle about his marine engine (its a V6) he said that each cyl had its own carb, would the marine engines be the same as motorcycles (THE carbs!)

A ton of bike carbs are modular so the number of cylinders in inconsequential. You just buy 2 sets and use 6 of them.

Pretty much this. Take the middle carbs out of the second set of carbs and add them in the middle of the second set. The end carbs are a little different.

Spacing matters when it comes time to link all the throttles together and have an adjustment to sync them...

Yep thats the general idea. Vintage you shouldn't talk trash either since you custom intake has been fail this whole time :-P.

Also for the sake of I6 which is the topic nothing is cheaper/easier then just using a dcoe manifold that a person could get anywhere.

I've researched all over the net, and have NEVER seen R1 carbs broken apart and spaced out . seen it done to R1 ITB's with EFI (doesn't look easy)

Look harder

Aston_manifold_carbs_320pix.jpg

Its not common because its self defeating. On an I4 with a hacked up mani its simple and easy but on an I6 having the custom make a mani and space them out without having to is kind of silly. You can just slap on dcoes which can be had cheap if a person is smart and have a ton of support/parts avail.

Doing it with the efi is a cake walk by comparison. The spacers are just tubes, I have seen people use tube with a threaded rod through the entire set to bind them together. The modular fuel rail is just tube with an o ring on each side. Thats very easy to just make or have made longer/shorter tubes to keep the rail proper.

There are people even machining press fit dcoe flanges. This idea isnt some cool grass roots idea anymore its so played its just about off the shelf lol.

64996.jpg

This is the rt I'll be taking with my set up at some point in the near future.

Yep thats the general idea. Vintage you shouldn't talk trash either since you custom intake has been fail this whole time :-P.

Also for the sake of I6 which is the topic nothing is cheaper/easier then just using a dcoe manifold that a person could get anywhere.

Look harder

Its not common because its self defeating. On an I4 with a hacked up mani its simple and easy but on an I6 having the custom make a mani and space them out without having to is kind of silly. You can just slap on dcoes which can be had cheap if a person is smart and have a ton of support/parts avail.

Doing it with the efi is a cake walk by comparison. The spacers are just tubes, I have seen people use tube with a threaded rod through the entire set to bind them together. The modular fuel rail is just tube with an o ring on each side. Thats very easy to just make or have made longer/shorter tubes to keep the rail proper.

There are people even machining press fit dcoe flanges. This idea isnt some cool grass roots idea anymore its so played its just about off the shelf lol.

64996.jpg

This is the rt I'll be taking with my set up at some point in the near future.

i like it! if you end up doing it you should post some results here, id be curious to see how it turns out!

Ouch dude, that's cold...........just plain cold.

^_^

Haha just busting balls, shit happens to everyone.

i like it! if you end up doing it you should post some results here, id be curious to see how it turns out!

Haha me too lol hopefully I can get my z painted so I can get into efi prep.

Fixed intake leaks, put 17.5 jets back in. 3 turns out.

most of the popping went away on idle, decel is still there but much quieter. With full exhaust I might not notice as much. But now got lots of white smoke once warm. Pretty sure water is blowing by into the number one runner................DANGIT !!!

Had this happen before, that water neck is just so dang close it doesnt like to seal up all the time. Gotta prolly pull the intake again..............will look at it tomorrow.........anyone got a EFI setup for sale?? j/k

Video of exhaust

th_4DD88F17-C40E-4CA5-9296-99AC00C1A4D4-2379-000002EA5735E629_zps609b1de3.jpg

Those look like SU style Mike, interesting.

The R-1s are constant velocity and more or less an SU style.

Look harder

Why equal length? The ports on the head are staggered anyway.

But now got lots of white smoke once warm. Pretty sure water is blowing by into the number one runner................DANGIT !!!

Had this happen before, that water neck is just so dang close it doesnt like to seal up all the time. Gotta prolly pull the intake again..............will look at it tomorrow.........anyone got a EFI setup for sale?? j/k

Tap and plug those two water holes.

Fixed intake leaks, put 17.5 jets back in. 3 turns out.

most of the popping went away on idle, decel is still there but much quieter. With full exhaust I might not notice as much. But now got lots of white smoke once warm. Pretty sure water is blowing by into the number one runner................DANGIT !!!

Sorry to hear about that. Good news is that it sounds like it's easy enough to fix.

I enjoy reading about 510 owners and their DIY attempts. There's some great ingenuity out there.

However, I want to make sure that the casual reader is not mislead with your minor setbacks. The issues you're experiencing (air/water leaks, clamps strength etc...) is exactly why I spend the extra coin for a Bogg manifold. Install and forget - it really is that easy. :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about that. Good news is that it sounds like it's easy enough to fix.

I enjoy reading about 510 owners and their DIY attempts. There's some great ingenuity out there.

However, I want to make sure that the casual reader is not mislead with your minor setbacks. The issues you're experiencing (air/water leaks, clamps strength etc...) is exactly why I spend the extra coin for a Bogg manifold. Install and forget - it really is that easy. :thumbup:

Word! Love my Bogg bros mani! Not one problem with it and its soooo pretty