R1 Carbs (lots of pics)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im running my triples open right now too because they just look so hot. Im going to rig up sox to use for driving but pop off quick and easy for when I'm showing the engine off. I like the mesh screen caps and even the pods look cool too but they are so expensive for no good reason.

Tell me more.

the foam ball filters look just like the foam balls you can get at a toy store. you can do the screen insert and set a half foam ball ontop which you can get in many colours, even blue to match your valve cover. alot of minibikers use them to keep dust and dirt out of the carbs to great effect, the result is an air filter that is easily and cheaply replaced.

Many people just get the foam balls at toy stores use use them. or even shape foam sponges to the same effect

Do you have a pic of someone actually using them? Random pics of balls doesnt mean much lol. Nerf balls wont do shit but choke out the engine, the foam is way too thick.

I heard these make great filters here look for yourself!!!

Home_Brick1.jpg

engineering-brick--full.jpg

Dont shit a brick either I'm just having a laugh :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

Thats a pod filter not a foam ball. Can you find ANY pics of someone using foam balls as filters for trumpets? Theres a reason you cant lol.

The closest I have ever seen was mic foam covers a bud of mine tried but it didnt work out well.

831254940_WQmgU-L.jpg

Thats a pod filter not a foam ball. Can you find ANY pics of someone using foam balls as filters for trumpets? Theres a reason you cant lol.

The closest I have ever seen was mic foam covers but it didnt work out well.

I know it is a pod filter, but it is a foam pod filter. I have used nerf balls in the past on street bikes, my last was a 78 CB750 DOHC Cafe Bike and no I don't have oics of it as I had a computer hard drive burn out crash at the time and lost the oics.

Nerf balls are super high density foam and definitely not suitable for filter material. The little sock filters are really for motorsports only, as they're little more than cloth screens. For a daily driver exposed to the elements in the city, you really a proper cotton media or oiled foam filter. Check out ITG or pipercross. I'm running an ITG JC40 by 40 and it fits under the hood. Thing is, it interferes with the bracket vintage rice made because I'm using the Yamaha rubbers. I'm also using the Yamaha velocity stacks.

GZeuE.jpg

Dcu9M.jpg

Nerf balls are super high density foam and definitely not suitable for filter material. The little sock filters are really for motorsports only, as they're little more than cloth screens. For a daily driver exposed to the elements in the city, you really a proper cotton media or oiled foam filter. Check out ITG or pipercross. I'm running an ITG JC40 by 40 and it fits under the hood. Thing is, it interferes with the bracket vintage rice made because I'm using the Yamaha rubbers. I'm also using the Yamaha velocity stacks.

Ya which is why I call BS on using them. If by some miracle the engine can pull enough air through that dense foam to still run it completely nullifies the point of using stacks. Which is to stabilize air flow into and through the carburetor.

I dont really agree with you on filter uses though. There are pretty fine mesh socks that are fine for daily use. You can even spray them if inclined. I never heard once of someone using socks daily running into problems. Anything small enough to make it through doesnt matter all said and done. Shit, I know people dailying with wire mesh filters for years and not having issues.

ITG makes really nice stuff but they are expensive as hell and completely cover the stacks. I bet some picked up their carbs cheaper then that filter costs lol. It also completely covers the stacks.

I think the best looking filters that still retain the hotness of stacks are these mesh style caps

Webcon-Rover-Quad-DCOE2.jpg

and individual pods.

7042710003_large.jpg

Nerf Balls was an example and yes I did use them myself (cheap bastard) and I know there are filters that look like nerf balls that fit inside velocity stacks. where to get them I have no idea.

If they are an actual product or used at all you should be able to find at least a single pic no?

Those arent foam balls, its a foam sheet between a mesh frame like a....... pod filter lol. Have you found any actual pics of foam balls crammed into trumpets yet though? Keep hope alive lol

Just because a few people have done it with good results doesn't mean it's a good idea.

And I dunno, I guess we just disagree. I think those socks and/or mesh look jury-rigged and unfinished. I much prefer the finished look of a proper filter.

Its not a few guys its many many many many people for years and years. Close to 100 years actually since the filters you and some love are a modern invention and for the 1st 50 years of dcoe style carbs life the common practice was open trumpets or sock filters. Pod filters and foam usage for filters in general didnt even begin to show in number up until the 50/60s.

I mean feel free to let me know whats fitting through a fine mesh sock that matters to engine operation and maybe ill change my opinion on it. You can get/make a sock in the same micron size as foam filters too so w/e is good for the gander.....

I actually think the other way that the race look of PROPER socks look the part that individual carb set ups were invented for. You can disagree thats fine, your welcome to your opinion. I can see your side, like I said they make really nice filters. I feel it really is note worthy to mention that the filter costs as much as a set of carbs though, which to me is silly.

It was common practice because that's what was available. Filter tachnology has advanced just like anything else.

There's more to a filter than just it's initial filtration efficiency, which is essentially all the micron size you're talking about tells us. An oiled foam filter will have a lower initial pressure drop and will maintain a lower pressure drop as they get dirty. They will also maintain a higher efficiency as they get dirty. They're expensive because they work. They're also a maintenance style filter, meaning you never have to buy another. Only clean and re-oil. The ITG style filters are also extremely durable and even flame retardant to protect from backfire.

Air filters are one of those things that's there to protect your engine. Why skimp on it? That's like saying, "this metal screen in my oil pan pickup is kind of like a filter, I think I'll just run that. I don't need an oil filter." A motor may ingest dust and dirt particles all day long that don't have to be there. What if you live near a railroad? You want your motor breathing rail dust?

You say there is more but racers still using socks to this day say otherwise. Yes technology has changed, and skimping is never good but I find both those statements funny coming from someone running motorcycle carbs on a datsun engine lmfao. :poop:

A filters MAIN purpose, the reason it exists, is to filter and that is gauged by micron size lol. I think saying "They're expensive because they work" shows exactly how you see the topic, as if something cheaper doesnt work based on price. Track cars use what they use regardless of price why? Because they work :thumbup:

No I dont want my motor sucking rail? dust. Which is why Ill run socks that filter the exact same shit as your over priced foam, SAME EXACT SHIT. Foam that I might add falls apart over time. Google "ITG filter falling apart" and take a look at how pages of people have experience with their "extremely durable" foam filters deteriorating. So you paid 10x as much for what? looks and initial pressure drop citing no real evidence. If that makes you happy go for it man I'm not trying to change your mind on what you like or pay for. Just dont pretend, or preach rather, paying more for filters then your fuel delivery system is doing anything extra besides looking nice.

Also your analogy is ass backwards. Filtering the tiniest of particles out of engine oil is paramount to engine life where as dust entering a motor means fuck all. Dust that I might add is filtered by a 2$ sock or $200 foam filter of the same micron rating just the same. Run your fuel pump into a bucket and let it sit and see how much shit runs through an engine on a regular basis, how much more shit then will make it through even the most basic filters.

Opinions are fine, everyone is welcome to theirs.

Misinformation annoys me though and like the idiot I am I'm always compelled to set it straight when it prob doesnt make a difference anyway lol. On the interweb a mechanic with actual experience and a person who reads and parrots shit online are the same thing. One day I'll learn to just say w/e.

Not upset at all, no hard feeling or anything like that.

The topic stayed on track too. There was a lot of info and filter examples thrown out there for anyone inclined.

• Like 1

You say there is more but racers still using socks to this day say otherwise. Yes technology has changed, and skimping is never good but I find both those statements funny coming from someone running motorcycle carbs on a datsun engine lmfao. :poop:

Well that's funny, I thought we were talking about filters. A reasonably priced ITB setup makes sense. A cheap, stop-gap filter filter does not. Spend the money where it counts. We've already proven that the R1 carbs work relatively well, there are a lot of other bits and pieces that go into making that system work, and a good air filter is one of them.

A filters MAIN purpose, the reason it exists, is to filter and that is gauged by micron size lol.

Did you read my other post at all? There is more to an air filter than just it's initial efficiency. If all we were worried about is the micron size and nothing else, the filters we all use would look a lot different.

I think saying "They're expensive because they work" shows exactly how you see the topic, as if something cheaper doesnt work based on price. Track cars use what they use regardless of price why? Because they work :thumbup:

Come on man, "they're expensive because they work" is not the same thing as "they work because they're expensive." You're putting words in my mouth. I never dogged on the socks because they were cheaper. I wish there was a less expensive solution, but the ITG air filter just fits the bill.

No I dont want my motor sucking rail? dust. Which is why Ill run socks that filter the exact same shit as your over priced foam, SAME EXACT SHIT. Foam that I might add falls apart over time. Google "ITG filter falling apart" and take a look at how pages of people have experience with their "extremely durable" foam filters deteriorating. So you paid 10x as much for what? looks and initial pressure drop citing no real evidence. If that makes you happy go for it man I'm not trying to change your mind on what you like or pay for. Just dont pretend, or preach rather, paying more for filters then your fuel delivery system is doing anything extra besides looking nice.

Settle down man! :confused: Filtering the same stuff for what...10 minutes? Then what? And at what pressure drop? The dirty efficiency and pressure drop is at least (if not more) important than the clean efficiency and pressure drop. Nobody keeps their filters 100% like-new clean all the time. My judgements of the filters is based on my experience and just looking at the options. My background allows me to get a pretty good feel for these sorts of things (mechanical engineer with a concentration in fluid dynamics), and I've used all kinds of different filters in the past. I could point you towards the ITG, pipercross, or any other of the foam filter manufacturers' websites, but I imagine you wouldn't credit that as "real evidence." Don't ask me to cite evidence without providing some of your own.

I will add that I've never had a problem with my filters falling apart. I'm sorry others have. I've kept all of mine clean and just following the instructions with the recommended oils and cleaners, and have had no problems. I've seen a little "graying" of the outside layer of foam on filters that were exposed to the sun, but that's about it...

Also your analogy is ass backwards. Filtering the tiniest of particles out of engine oil is paramount to engine life where as dust entering a motor means fuck all. Dust that I might add is filtered by a 2$ sock or $200 foam filter of the same micron rating just the same.

The induction system is one of two open systems in the engine. One should do his or her best to protect it. How do you think foreign particles enter the engine? I don't want dust coating my cylinder walls as the piston wipes it. and $200?! Where the hell you buying your filters from? Try half that...

Run your fuel pump into a bucket and let it sit and see how much shit runs through an engine on a regular basis, how much more shit then will make it through even the most basic filters.

Sounds like you need a fuel filter :thumbup:

You've filled this thread with misinformation. I don't know who you are, and don't pretend to (like you do me: "interweb mechanic"? please :rofl: ), but you should not be telling everyone that socks will work just as well. When someone comes in here asking for advice on a filter, you should recommend the best option and point towards the socks, shower caps, and mesh as a lower priced alternative, not the other way around. Everybody does things differently, I like to do things "right." You, apparently, like to do things "cheap." Those words are in quotes because the terms are relative, so don't get your panties in a bunch. It's not bad, it's just different.

Your sort of attitude is exactly why many people prefer this forum over a few of the other alternatives on the web. Ratsun has always been pretty open to other's opinions and the people have been pretty nice (except in this thread apparently). You come in here telling me right off the bat that my overpriced filter is bullshit and trying to discredit me as an "interweb mechanic." Not cool. We were just having a nice discussion about different filter types. I don't know what set you off.