• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datzenmike

• john510

• paradime

• Mattndew76

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You got me thinking about Denver. I probably haven't passed through in about 20+ years. The last time I did was on my annual migration from Florida to Hood River Oregon to waste my summer living in the back of the 720 and windsurf and mountain bike the summer away. I was making the 70 to 25 switch when the trans shift lever pivot pin decided to split the scene. Coasting into a rest stop I found a bolt and nut that semi fit where the pin went and guessed shifted my way to Oregon from there. Funny thing I  remember about making that trip multiple times is the most per car concentration of attractive women in the entire country is on 25 between Denver and Fort Collins. A weird phenomenon but I always looked forward to it.

• Like 1

nut:

someone, or something that is crazy, foolish, or strange: It's normal to disagree with FEMA for condemning your garage after a hurricane, but you're a nut if you think climbing on your roof will change their decision. You will get your nutty ass on wink news though.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, paradime said:

nut:

someone, or something that is crazy, foolish, or strange: It's normal to disagree with FEMA for condemning your garage after a hurricane, but you're a nut if you think climbing on your roof will change their decision. You will get your nutty ass on wink news though.

You disparage the news agency's name, but I think that's just it's call letters.  Maybe watch the video on the linked article: https://winknews.com/2023/08/02/roof-fort-myers-beach-protesting-fema-regulations/

The guy isn't a nut, he's trying to stand up to government overreach and ridiculous red tape regulations being forced on him. They want him to tear down his perfectly good garage and rebuild it to newer standards, even though it wasn't an actual part of his destroyed home, most likely incurring all the additional costs. I say good for him, we need more people like him.  Or maybe he should just go loot some retail establishments to get his point across?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

You got me thinking about Denver. I probably haven't passed through in about 20+ years. The last time I did was on my annual migration from Florida to Hood River Oregon to waste my summer living in the back of the 720 and windsurf and mountain bike the summer away. I was making the 70 to 25 switch when the trans shift lever pivot pin decided to split the scene. Coasting into a rest stop I found a bolt and nut that semi fit where the pin went and guessed shifted my way to Oregon from there. Funny thing I  remember about making that trip multiple times is the most per car concentration of attractive women in the entire country is on 25 between Denver and Fort Collins. A weird phenomenon but I always looked forward to it.

I lived in SW Michigan for 22 years.  My brother had moved out here to Colorado, a number of years before that.  That said, I visited him every year, sometimes twice.  I think it was the second or third year I traveled, I flew in to Denver.  SW Michigan (and the midwest as a whole) DID/DOES have some beautiful women, but when I was walking thru the airport after landing in Denver, I noticed the same thing you did!  Beautiful FIT women everywhere!  I got a neck ache looking over my shoulders, back at these women.  I was happy!  For years, I always looked forward to visiting, partly for that reason!  10+ years ago, life had changed in Michigan, I decided to move here.  At first, it was similar, noticing all the beaautiful women.  My bro lived up in the foothills & led a healthy life.  But as I settled into living here, among the "native Coloradians", I started to notice that it was just like Michigan..............regular women.  The obesity epidemic has now taken over the suburban & city people (like everywhere else in this country), but I get 30min up into the foothills/mountains & the attractive FIT women are still up there, hiking, skiing, eating healthy etc.  I love Colorado, but it is EXTREMELY expensive living............ 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, thisismatt said:

You disparage the news agency's name, but I think that's just it's call letters.  Maybe watch the video on the linked article: https://winknews.com/2023/08/02/roof-fort-myers-beach-protesting-fema-regulations/

The guy isn't a nut, he's trying to stand up to government overreach and ridiculous red tape regulations being forced on him. They want him to tear down his perfectly good garage and rebuild it to newer standards, even though it wasn't an actual part of his destroyed home, most likely incurring all the additional costs. I say good for him, we need more people like him.  Or maybe he should just go loot some retail establishments to get his point across?

What makes you think I didn't watch this vid, twice in fact, that I don't understand why he's protesting, and I don't get these call letters spell the word wink? I have empathy for this guy, but maybe the structural engineers on site didn't take Rick's emotional connection to his garage into account when they saw it was no longer safe. While Rick may not like Florida's structural building codes being applied here, they are not arbitrary, and are there for him and his family's safety. Maybe I'm nut's for thinking that sitting on his roof won't pressure FEMA (the evil fed Gov agency he said helped everyone) into changing these safety codes for him because it's absolutely crazy, foolish, strange, and myopic. Or, maybe if he'd looted a bunch of Stanely tie braces to fix his garage FEMA would still have condemned it anyway. 

Edited by paradime
1 hour ago, paradime said:

What makes you think I didn't watch this vid, twice in fact, that I don't understand why he's protesting, and I don't get these call letters spell the word wink? I have empathy for this guy, but maybe the structural engineers on site didn't take Rick's emotional connection to his garage into account when they saw it was no longer safe. While Rick may not like Florida's structural building codes being applied here, they are not arbitrary, and are there for him and his family's safety. Maybe I'm nut's for thinking that sitting on his roof won't pressure FEMA (the evil fed Gov agency he said helped everyone) into changing these safety codes for him because it's absolutely crazy, foolish, strange, and myopic. Or, maybe if he'd looted a bunch of Stanely tie braces to fix his garage FEMA would still have condemned it anyway. 

His garage already survived the f'ing hurricane, why tear it down?  It should be grandfathered in, just like everything else typically is.  Sorry, you need to retrofit every house in california with sprinkler systems because that's code now and that's safest, whether you can afford it or not, and throw in all the historic buildings as well, cause...safety.  No simpson shear walls?  Sorry, tear your house down and start over, new code.  Don't you think that sounds a bit ridiculous?  He has to rebuild it with a conditioned space above? wtf?  I get building codes & inspections to assure them, I really do, but the guy shouldn't have to tear down his garage to bring it back up to current code.  99% of people can't afford that, and I imagine this guy's insurance isn't going to pay for that either.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

His garage already survived the f'ing hurricane, why tear it down?  It should be grandfathered in, just like everything else typically is.  Sorry, you need to retrofit every house in california with sprinkler systems because that's code now and that's safest, whether you can afford it or not, and throw in all the historic buildings as well, cause...safety.  No simpson shear walls?  Sorry, tear your house down and start over, new code.  Don't you think that sounds a bit ridiculous?  He has to rebuild it with a conditioned space above? wtf?  I get building codes & inspections to assure them, I really do, but the guy shouldn't have to tear down his garage to bring it back up to current code.  99% of people can't afford that, and I imagine this guy's insurance isn't going to pay for that either.

Building codes, like everything "government" started out as a good idea but are now weapons used to control. Before I can do anything to my house, it must be inspected --$50-$100, work must be permitted by a "certified" whatever --$50-$100, work is completed $$$$?! (big money) and at least one more final inspection--$50-$100. And all this is for things I could knock out in a few hours. Of course, I would never just fix something. I need government to look after me. It helps my neighbors too, because something has worked fine for the last 50 or 100 years doesn't mean some millennial engineer hasn't done some virtual modeling that proves it is now unsafe. Nothing to see here, just another happy compliant unarmed taxpayer glad to be of service.  🙂

• Like 2
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

WTF has FEMA got to do with building codes or enforcing them? This is more than a rhetorical question, not only do I not expect an answer I don't want an answer.

Tough shit, you're going to get one. FEMA engineers use structural code requirements to decide if a building is safe, or should be torn down. For all we know, the structure of this guy's garage was so damaged it should be torn down because it would be more expensive to prepare it. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, frankendat said:

Building codes, like everything "government" started out as a good idea but are now weapons used to control. Before I can do anything to my house, it must be inspected --$50-$100, work must be permitted by a "certified" whatever --$50-$100, work is completed $$$$?! (big money) and at least one more final inspection--$50-$100. And all this is for things I could knock out in a few hours. Of course, I would never just fix something. I need government to look after me. It helps my neighbors too, because something has worked fine for the last 50 or 100 years doesn't mean some millennial engineer hasn't done some virtual modeling that proves it is now unsafe. Nothing to see here, just another happy compliant unarmed taxpayer glad to be of service.  🙂

I'm totally for building codes and inspections, although I'd rather see it as subcontractor accountability than weaponized red tape

• Like 2

Building codes also protect you from idiot do-it-yourself neighbors building a potential fire bomb too close to your belongings.

2 hours ago, paradime said:

Tough shit, you're going to get one. FEMA engineers use structural code requirements to decide if a building is safe, or should be torn down. For all we know, the structure of this guy's garage was so damaged it should be torn down because it would be more expensive to prepare it. 

repair it.

• Like 1

I've repaired shitty work done by DIYers, and trust me, I've seen some nutty shit that would blow your mind. I've also walked plans through the San Francisco building office, and I've seen those nimrods make STUPID FUCKING changes that blew my mind. What I've never seen is a Gov agency admit a code requirement was actually FUCKING STUPID. It's a passionate notion that we should all be free to build, remodel, or repair our homes as we see fit. That said, we've all seen cities destroyed by a 7.0 earthquake, or category 3 hurricane because their country had inadequate building standards. No one want's their freedom hamstrung by safety rules until they wish they'd followed them the first time.

The advantage of shanty construction (corrugated roofs and bamboo and cardboard walls) in third world countries is it can easily be rebuilt after a disaster. If building for permanence it has to be able to withstand more than the worst that can be thrown against it. This would include being elevated against storm surge. Protection against wind and flying objects as well as a roof that can't come off. Traditional building seriously needs to be rethought here.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, thisismatt said:

I'm totally for building codes and inspections, although I'd rather see it as subcontractor accountability than weaponized red tape

I gave some thought to the handful of pro code replies, but like every freedom/safety issue discussed, I err on the side of freedom and far too many of the building codes are unnecessary, redundant, and simply stupid. I believe everyone should vote and promote greater freedom because inevitably, sooner rather than later, it will be gone.

We understand, that in a democracy, a candidate will never be successful if they say, "Well, in the last 100 years we lost 2 children to accidents that "could" have been prevented by including in the building code another redundant construction safety feature. But, that will increase price of new single family homes by $5000 and mandating retrofit on any permitted old construction, will average $4000. I know $4000 is a big bite and new homes are already priced too high, and looking at the hundreds of thousands of residential building projects in the last 100  years, that's pretty good--So, I am going to vote "no" and do not support amending the current build code."

No politician will ever utter anything like the above paragraph and so all codes, will be stuffed with more and more bullshit. 

There is no way to stop it, all you can do is try to slow it down and so I oppose every new law and new regulation that directly impacts people, as opposed to business (yes businesses employ and impact people but I am already fighting on too many fronts)

And you know I am right, because where ever you live, the important rules, rules like you can't operate a slaughterhouse on a city lot or some other obvious problem has been addressed and codified. It is a very rare thing when a situation arises in cities over a century old that requires new codes. In those very rare situations a new code could be added if two old codes were removed.

Sometimes there is too much freedom. I have a nieghbor from hell who is violating multiple codes that prevent people from infringing on others their right to a peaceful neighborhood. I used a lawyer to makes sure all infringements were verified and I provided proof of each. The lawyer drafted and sent the letter to Code enforcement. All bases covered. Code enforcement opened a case, ran out the two month period and said no infractions and will not answer my Lawyer.  This doesn't make sense for one person to be able to dodge the rules everyone else has to follow. There is selective enforcement.

• Like 2