My great grandfather’s 620 is now mine.

GGPA620

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, bilzbobaggins said:

I think all 620 windshields are the same.  I was thinking rock auto had some, but for some reason the site is not pulling up.

I was thinking this but wanted confirmation. So thank you! Very much!  I'm going to try and go scavenge whatever i can off that 75 or even the whole truck if possible haha

Like bilzbobaggins i think the windshields all through the 620 series are interchangeable, at least I'm counting on it. The rear window size is different between the standard cab and king cab though.

Don

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, 620slodat said:

I would like to hear if the windshields are for sure interchangeable. Let us know.

Don

Yes sir will do! If someone else doesn't chime in and confirm before then. I will be done with my day shift friday. So i will update you as soon as possible. 

Thank you @datzenmike

Below is the info i got from datzenmike about all the glass for the 620s! It was very helpful for me so i wanted to share it here since i did not see it any where else when searching.  It is probably somewhere else i just didnt find it so here it is. Hope it helps @620slodat

Front and sides are but King Cab rears are larger than the regular cab and long box. Doors are all the same but before '76 the vinyl covered door card on the inside had a clip that ran all along the top to hold it in. From '76 on they used those plastic buttons. Fenders are all the same as are hoods. A regular cab  and a King Cab used the same box but the long box was .... longer. '78 and '79 grills are different than the earlier ones but will swap. 

22 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Pretty much everything will interchange. In 1978 the 620 went to balljoints and disc brakes, but the earlier trucks were all nearly identical.

This is very helpful also since im going to be trying to salvage as much as i can off the 75 since it is the only one ive found nearby so far.  Thank you!

'78 model year had big changes. The rims were different to better vent and clear the new disc brakes. Alternator was changed to internal regulator and distributor and coil upgraded (as were all Datsuns that year) to electronic ignition (EI) called the 'remote igniter' with the electronics in a box under the dash. '79 trucks and all Datsuns were converted further to the miniaturized 'matchbox' distributor. The '78 and up L series engines had the W58 head with round not square exhaust ports. The intakes reverted back to coolant cooling/warming flow through the runners from all previous L20Bs with the heat riser exhaust heated intakes. The '79 had the antenna on the left 'A' pillar and all manual transmissions came with a 4.11 differential, though the old 4.375 was an option. The '79 fender badge said DATSUNbyNISSAN rather than the earlier DATSUN  preparing the public for the upcoming name change to Nissan 

• Thanks 1

I was going from memory at work but it shows fender emblem 76980-B9800 as DATSUNbyNISSAN  July '78 and on. This would be the beginning of the '79 model year.

Again there may have been a few old emblems laying around and were used up first, and my info though generally correct and supplied by Nissan, can't possibly cover every production quirk. Maybe the fenders were replaced from an earlier truck????

Found this carrier bearing replacement on amazon. Seems it should work. Only $30!  Planning on a tuneup on Monday or Tuesday and trying to start the 620 for the first time. Then replace this bearing. I will post pics of course. Need to clean the engine bay up some also. For all those who like before and after pics i will have some soon! 

Edited by GGPA620
Images removed

No one in my town has tires for the 14 inch rims. Im looking at the hankook optima white wall tires to order. In the mean time going to tune and try to ge the motor to turn over. And got the tires off the rims to give them a sanding and paintjob. Wish me luck for the motor!

Edited by GGPA620
Images removed

Well i did the following. 

Oil change. 

New air filter 

Spark plugs 

Spark plug wires 

Fuel filter

Old fuel out new fuel in

New battery

Tried starting it aaaaaaand nothing at all.

Just got my headlights to come one as seen below. Hahahaha. damnit. Swapped fuses out and now i hear a click from the starter. At least its somelse to follow. Little by little. 

url%5D

• Like 4
2 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

ck the battery cables.

try putting the 12volt side of the battery right at the starter tab and see if it actually turns the motor over, starter could be bad locked up?

Yea good idea. will do. Hopefully not locked up. I will check though. 

1 hour ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Could beat on it a little bit.  

Yea i was by myself so i was able to yet. Going to try taking the starter off and soaking the bendik with wd40 and try turning the gears on it and the motor manually.  And doing like @banzai510(hainz) and try turning the motor manually too. Thanks guys. I will try on my next chance. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Don't beat the starter. Clean the battery cables and the posts they clamp to. Clean and make sure the start signal wire (Black/Yellow stripe) in on snug.

Hahaha dont beat it like a step child? Hahaha k thanks for the warning. Im going to remove it and check it out.  Tires are ordered also. so hopefully i can get it home soon so im not hauling my tools back and forth. 

3 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

No, clean the battery posts and cables areas first.

K will do. I am actually going to replace the connectors. They were a lil rusty. I will do that first and try turning the motor manually. Then try and start it up. If nothing still i will remove and test the starter. Ive been putting alot pf money at once  so i have to slow down and hopefully the starter is ok. I will check it out in the morning. Thanks for the tip!

Again to anyone who didnt catch the beginning...

I AM NOT A MECHANIC  AND ONLY RECENTLY HAVE BEEN WORKING ON VECHILES BEYOND BASIC MAINTENANCE (OIL CHANGES AND BRAKES)  

So im learning everything with help from here..research on the internet and asking friends.  Any tips or info is appreciated. I am learning slowly but surely. Looking to buy a book soon on the L20b motor. 

• Like 1