GGPA620

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Hit those bolts nuts with some PB Blaster before removal

Hahaha i appreciate the pro tip! I definitely will from now on. i snapped a couple when removing the bench seat! Learning as i go. And usually learn the hard way unfortunately 

Random pics from day 1.  Odometer reads 71k i will be double checking with my uncle if it is true mileage. I did hear this truck made plenty of trips to mexico from new Mexico about 300 mile trips pretty often. Great grandpa's old adventures hahaha. Im already learning more about him just by this truck. Lovin it

Edited by GGPA620
Images removed
On 11/9/2019 at 5:31 AM, GGPA620 said:

Hey sorry to jack your thread,
but in this picture, what does the "L" stand for in the chassis number?
I know that "H" is premium engine.
And "G" is long wheelbase. 
But as we never got this configuration here, I've not seen the "L" before. 
Left hand drive maybe?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Valvebounce said:

Hey sorry to jack your thread,
but in this picture, what does the "L" stand for in the chassis number?
I know that "H" is premium engine.
And "G" is long wheelbase. 
But as we never got this configuration here, I've not seen the "L" before. 
Left hand drive maybe?

Yes i believe it is just for LEFT hand drive. No worries! I found this in another thread when searching for finding vin numbers. But yes L is for LEFT HAND DRIVE. 

1 hour ago, Valvebounce said:

VERY cool truck btw!

Thank you i appreciate it! 

Probably more like 171k.... 

Definitely needs a good cleaning but looks really straight.....

Quick bit of advice keep any old parts you pull out till you absolutely dont need them ... then something's I would still keep... 

Like the seat can be reupholster, even if you want buckets that bench could be gold to other 620 owner....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Thanks 1

Yessir! It makes it that much more special!  I did meet my great grandpa before he passed but he did pass before i was old enough to have memories of spending time with him doing fun stuff. Just him being sick. so it has some kind of meaning to get it running and back on the road to me that i know you can relate too! Sorry for your loss...it does really add to the motivation to get it done. I might be further but i will bw checking it hopefully motivating or inspiring you to get you moving lil by little. Any progress yet? The 73s are aw

I'm on a very limited income, and my wife is also on disability now, so my progress with getting the 620 running will be slow. A few dollars here and there is the best I can do, unless on occasion I can come up with some extra income. 

Something I've found through the school of hard knocks is one thing that might help with old/rusted bolts. First, spray the bolt thoroughly with PB Blaster and let it set to soak in (or your favorite thread cleaner). Then, IF you can get to the back side of the bolt, use a die on the threads. Run the die onto the threads as far as possible, then turn the die around and do the same thing again. The threads of the die will help clean up the threads of the bolt. The threads of the die make a  tapered cut, so turning the die around backwards will clean threads closer to the captured nut. Once this is done (or if you can't get to the back side of the bolt) now is the time to use a box wrench. Turn the bolt looser JUST until the bolt begins to move. Then go in the reverse direction Just until the bolt moves. Go back and forth  with the bolt, increasing the turning distance just a little bit each time. Also, spray the bolt again every couple times, or close to that, as turning the bolt each way will help the liquid go deeper into the threads each time. Keep doing this until the bolt can be backed out completely. Then spray the bolt again and run the die all the way down the threaded portion of the bolt. This will take time, but less time than dealing with a broken bolt.

The best of luck with this project, and may God be your guide.

Don

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Probably more like 171k.... 

Definitely needs a good cleaning but looks really straight.....

Quick bit of advice keep any old parts you pull out till you absolutely dont need them ... then something's I would still keep... 

Like the seat can be reupholster, even if you want buckets that bench could be gold to other 620 

Yea i got the seat back inside i am definitely going to reuse it. Got the arm rests. Visors. Glovebox door and door leather panel cover all put to the side to restore and put back in.  

It does seem pretty straight. Good start i think to a long process. I appreciate the tips!  

Talking with my dad it is true mileage. Our town is very small and it did make a few trips but mainly stayed in town! And my grandpa did take great care of the truck. Too bad it sat for so long. 

Edited by GGPA620
Was given more info about the miles
11 hours ago, GGPA620 said:

Hahaha i appreciate the pro tip! I definitely will from now on. i snapped a couple when removing the bench seat! Learning as i go. And usually learn the hard way unfortunately 

Get yourself easy out set and a tap and die set, you can get those with correctly sized drill bits for the taps. 

You will break many more bolts. :)

• Haha 1

Odometer only goes to 99,999 before turning over to 00,000. That truck is too complete to have turned over. At 100K plus usually there are after market fuel pumps and filters, home made wiring fixes, mismatched headlights and most telling multiple dents and scratches.

• Thanks 1

Do what you need to first to get it running, driving and stopping.... 

Then worry about mods.... 

Having a running and driving datsun that your working on cosmetics and personal touches is way more fun than staring at a project for years.....

Even once I got my 521 back on the road.. (took me 4 years, after it sat for 10)... I drove around for 2 months without door glass and only half a dash and many other items that didnt stop me from driving.... even still I've been driving mine for 2 summers now and I still need some interior work and I never refinished the bed yet... I do small fixes year round and larger projects during the winter..... 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, 620slodat said:

Yessir! It makes it that much more special!  I did meet my great grandpa before he passed but he did pass before i was old enough to have memories of spending time with him doing fun stuff. Just him being sick. so it has some kind of meaning to get it running and back on the road to me that i know you can relate too! Sorry for your loss...it does really add to the motivation to get it done. I might be further but i will bw checking it hopefully motivating or inspiring you to get you moving lil by little. Any progress yet? The 73s are aw

I'm on a very limited income, and my wife is also on disability now, so my progress with getting the 620 running will be slow. A few dollars here and there is the best I can do, unless on occasion I can come up with some extra income. 

Something I've found through the school of hard knocks is one thing that might help with old/rusted bolts. First, spray the bolt thoroughly with PB Blaster and let it set to soak in (or your favorite thread cleaner). Then, IF you can get to the back side of the bolt, use a die on the threads. Run the die onto the threads as far as possible, then turn the die around and do the same thing again. The threads of the die will help clean up the threads of the bolt. The threads of the die make a  tapered cut, so turning the die around backwards will clean threads closer to the captured nut. Once this is done (or if you can't get to the back side of the bolt) now is the time to use a box wrench. Turn the bolt looser JUST until the bolt begins to move. Then go in the reverse direction Just until the bolt moves. Go back and forth  with the bolt, increasing the turning distance just a little bit each time. Also, spray the bolt again every couple times, or close to that, as turning the bolt each way will help the liquid go deeper into the threads each time. Keep doing this until the bolt can be backed out completely. Then spray the bolt again and run the die all the way down the threaded portion of the bolt. This will take time, but less time than dealing with a broken bolt.

The best of luck with this project, and may God be your guide.

Don

Yes sir! I really appreciate that! Goodluck with your build also! It seems the journey is alot of the fun with these builds and just spending time with something that belonged to someone special has its own unique satisfaction. I will definitely take your advice and try that method out. I know i haven't seen the last broken bolt haha but trying to keep them intact can't hurt! 

Best of luck to you as well! I will keep checking in from time to time!

1 hour ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Get yourself easy out set and a tap and die set, you can get those with correctly sized drill bits for the taps. 

You will break many more bolts. 🙂

Hahaha yea i will definitely do so! Lots of great tips! I will do my best but not be suprised if more break hahaha

59 minutes ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

PB Blaster works but soak and give it time. and buy a jar of antiseize and use it.

thermostat housing will break for sure. start finding spares parts if possible

Definitely will get some of both of those. thanks for the recommendation!   I am definitely going to be looking for donor cars nearby to start stockpiling anything i might need in the future!  Thank you! 

39 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Odometer only goes to 99,999 before turning over to 00,000. That truck is too complete to have turned over. At 100K plus usually there are after market fuel pumps and filters, home made wiring fixes, mismatched headlights and most telling multiple dents and scratches.

I was asking my dad about it also. He said it is true mileage. Our town is only about 5 sq miles big and he did take it out of town a few times but mainly just around our small town. It really is pretty complete. I am very thankful to have such luck and blessing from grandpa to get it in the condition it is. 

21 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Do what you need to first to get it running, driving and stopping.... 

Then worry about mods.... 

Having a running and driving datsun that your working on cosmetics and personal touches is way more fun than staring at a project for years.....

Even once I got my 521 back on the road.. (took me 4 years, after it sat for 10)... I drove around for 2 months without door glass and only half a dash and many other items that didnt stop me from driving.... even still I've been driving mine for 2 summers now and I still need some interior work and I never refinished the bed yet... I do small fixes year round and larger projects during the winter..... 

That is great advice!   I will definitely get it back on the road before any cosmetic changes!   Well except repaint the steelies. Haha i can imagine you cruising like that happy as can be still 

Depending on how long it has been sitting, I would plan on replacing the entire brake and clutch hydraulic systems. New masters, slave, wheel cylinders, hoses and blow out the hard lines. If the wheel cylinders popped and got the brake shoes wet, you'll need to replace those too. Even if the brakes work now, if it has sat for a very long time, they will eventually blow out on you.

Like Crash said, throw away nothing! You probably won't be able to find original master cylinders anymore, and those original master cylinders can be rebuilt. I have a basic rule in my shop. Nothing gets thrown away until the job is done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, GGPA620 said:

That is great advice!   I will definitely get it back on the road before any cosmetic changes!   Well except repaint the steelies. Haha i can imagine you cruising like that happy as can be still 

You wouldnt believe how I drove it around my neighborhood for testing....

No glass anywhere.... no doors, fender, hood or bed .... and I had a red gas tank strapped to my battery behind the rear axle.... every time I needed motivation i would drive to the end of the road and back then get to work....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

You wouldnt believe how I drove it around my neighborhood for testing....

No glass anywhere.... no doors, fender, hood or bed .... and I had a red gas tank strapped to my battery behind the rear axle.... every time I needed motivation i would drive to the end of the road and back then get to work....

sounds about right. I've been dreading the brake job due on my 68 Ford wagon. every time i get discouraged i give that ole 390 a bump and listen to the open headers thump 😁

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Depending on how long it has been sitting, I would plan on replacing the entire brake and clutch hydraulic systems. New masters, slave, wheel cylinders, hoses and blow out the hard lines. If the wheel cylinders popped and got the brake shoes wet, you'll need to replace those too. Even if the brakes work now, if it has sat for a very long time, they will eventually blow out on you.

Like Crash said, throw away nothing! You probably won't be able to find original master cylinders anymore, and those original master cylinders can be rebuilt. I have a basic rule in my shop. Nothing gets thrown away until the job is done.

Sounds like it has been sitting for about 10 years!! Sadly. But better for me!  I definitely want to take these precautions and try to be preventive rather repair if possible. I really appreciate the tip. i will start looking for these parts now! And keep the original parts to rebuild!  Great tip about the master cylinders!

• Like 1