My great grandfather’s 620 is now mine.

GGPA620

14 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

I've used belt to fix that in a pinch. That said, rockauto has carries new carrier bearings from $25-$75. 

Yea its good to know there are ratsun ways! I will definitely keep it in mind. Todays first order of business is going to get some more pics. Figure out the year and see if the tires hold air so i can get it home.  Thanks again!  I really appreciate the info. I will start a new thread once i get it more pics and get started. I know everyone likes pics

• Like 1
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, GGPA620 said:

Yea its good to know there are ratsun ways! I will definitely keep it in mind. Todays first order of business is going to get some more pics. Figure out the year and see if the tires hold air so i can get it home.  Thanks again!  I really appreciate the info. I will start a new thread once i get it more pics and get started. I know everyone likes pics

Just an idea.... if your gonna start a new build thread put it in the truck 620 section..... you'll probably get more views and help... this area might get over looked while the 620 section will get the attention of other 620 and truck owners... 

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Just an idea.... if your gonna start a new build thread put it in the truck 620 section..... you'll probably get more views and help... this area might get over looked while the 620 section will get the attention of other 620 and truck owners... 

Awesome i was wondering  so i appreciate the intuitive response. I will get it up soon. 

21 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

I can simply just move you to the 620 forum, you can't. All these posts would be included

If it is better to do that i am cool with that. I dont have to have another new threat or topic. I can always just update this one and keep it going. Just whatever is better for the forum. Thanks tho with that power move hahaha! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

8 '76 would be a '77 model year.

Ok thats what i understood from your previous post. That is awesome. I see what you meant tho...i found a insurance card and it said 76. But when ordering my parts it needs to be for a 77. If it changes anything. I went and got it cleaned out a lil today with the time i had. It definitely needs alot of work but i am very excited to do it. 

The change in model year is the previous summer, usually June. Back then they weren't very careful when registering. Probably just asked the owners and they said 8 '76 so '76 it was. I can tell it isn't a '78 and up by the grill and the '75 was the last year the pillar vents on the outside were used so '76 or '77.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The change in model year is the previous summer, usually June. Back then they weren't very careful when registering. Probably just asked the owners and they said 8 '76 so '76 it was. I can tell it isn't a '78 and up by the grill and the '75 was the last year the pillar vents on the outside were used so '76 or '77.

Awesome. I am working on figuring out the whole upload thing for pics. I got a bunch today. I really do appreciate you and everyone here that helps. I would be even more lost without ratsuns! And really the only way im going to be able to restore/ customize my great grandpa's truck back to life. It is a little overwhelming to see how much it needs. But it is also alot of fun. Just cleaning it out i found a bunch of little things giving me a glimpse of the truck's history it had before it was parked. 

• Like 1

For pictures you'll need to get an account (free unless you want to pay for extra options) with a photo hosting site like, but not limited to , ingur, image shack. For god's sake do NOT use Photobucket. In very abbreviated form, you take your photo there and download and store it. When you want to post your picture, go there and download the image information, bring it here and paste it in your post. I just used trial and error till I got it to work for me.     

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Looks like a 4 and someone stamped a sideways 8 over it.

Not the worst I've seen but may still flop around or vibrate.

Yea i see the 4 and 8 also haha. Odd. And the rubber doesn't look horrible. Sad it was parked and rotting because of that. I got lots more pics from my lil progress today 

3 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

4/76 means April '76 and best of all the 142,420 body number agrees with the '76 production numbers beginning 090,001 to156,761 end. I would call this now a '76

Awesome! That is great to actually know thanks to your knowledge!  I have awesome a 1976 datsun 620 longbed! So excited to get going. now i can start ordering parts!  

Well if you have scrolled this far you might be interested in the build. Here is my 1976 620 longbed. (THANK YOU DATSENMIKE FOR HELPING ME FIGURE OUT THE YEAR) It Was originally my great grandpa's. Then became my great uncle's. And he parked it because he was not able to find parts in my small town he needed. It is now mine!!  Here is what i got as far as day 1 type pics of my build. Not really sure yet of which direction i will be going with it just yet. I will post updates on this thread only. And just search for most of the info i need. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPS OR HAD HELPED WITH PICS AND TIPS AND TRICKS FOR WORKING ON THESE AWESOME AUTOMOBILES!  I am honored to now own a datsun and look forward to this build. Below are pics of how far i got on my first day of getting my hands on the truck. Not tons of progress. but progress!  Thank you for checking it out and for any help you may offer. Open to feedback or suggestions and tricks to fix things i come across. I will keep lots of pics coming!

Edited by GGPA620
Images removed
  • Like 1

That is good!!! You have a bit of history there since it has been in the family since new. I can understand your excitement as I have my Dad's (passed away) 1973 620 that he bought new. It currently does not run, so it sounds like you may be ahead of me in that you have a chance of getting yours running.

Don

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, 620slodat said:

That is good!!! You have a bit of history there since it has been in the family since new. I can understand your excitement as I have my Dad's (passed away) 1973 620 that he bought new. It currently does not run, so it sounds like you may be ahead of me in that you have a chance of getting yours running.

Don

Yessir! It makes it that much more special!  I did meet my great grandpa before he passed but he did pass before i was old enough to have memories of spending time with him doing fun stuff. Just him being sick. so it has some kind of meaning to get it running and back on the road to me that i know you can relate too! Sorry for your loss...it does really add to the motivation to get it done. I might be further but i will bw checking it hopefully motivating or inspiring you to get you moving lil by little. Any progress yet? The 73s are awesome!!

• Like 1

So i got the seat out and cleaned up some of the cab. Got the old nasty seat cover off. Majority of the crap out but needs a good vacuuming and wash down inside still. Found a bunch of old tools. Some usable still. I think  a pair of keys for it. Some old .308 casings and some unshot .22lrs shells. Some old brake fluid. Arm rests and visor and the door panel covers actually seem in good shape i can use still! Very cool!   Only the driver and back window are good. But its a start! And im loving it! Hope you're enjoying and excited! 

Edited by GGPA620
Images removed