1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the engine stripped down to a long block to have a look inside...

image.jpeg.d8a27e4b918aac0bf33a3f089d519f1a.jpeg

The previous owner must have changed the oil religiously

image.jpeg.d3f45dbe4db26681501ba14519239f60.jpeg

I was shocked at how clean the inside looked...

image.jpeg.d320f149d2a5c1ffeeaaafdb94388516.jpeg

Also took off the oil cooler adapter...

image.jpeg.c97060d5c22630a506ba252067fd8504.jpeg

And made sure an old 70s filter fits...

image.jpeg.be2603694a99b6869963864f75494a27.jpeg

Hoping to clean and paint the long block on either Wednesday, or next Saturday. Then we get to bolt on the shiny bits!  😁

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 3
On 7/29/2022 at 6:29 AM, datsunfreak said:

Current plan is to top that with one of these. I like the idea of EFI for the car, just not the stock Ford EFI. 😄

Curious to see how the F.I. system goes. (If you decide to use it)

Before I even bought my Ford, I was wanting to add that system to any car I bought.  I keep hearing that the cheap little electronic box that you use to setup/tune the car has a fairly high failure rate.  The companies apparently want you to return the boxes, and won't send an exchange.  You are now stuck with whatever turn around time it takes for them to repair it..

I have never actually spoken to someone that had that happen, so that could just be rumor.

Funny thing is, there are Youtube videos from various shops saying never buy the FITech, and other shops saying never buy the Holly unit.

On 7/29/2022 at 6:29 AM, datsunfreak said:

Thanks for the double post Duncan.  (You asshole!)

Sorry man.  The board had a huge lag, and I didn't think the first hit of the button worked.  😪

Edited by Duncan
  • Haha 1

I'm in favour of the FI setup for the turn-key reliability, and had originally intended to go with the Sniper 2300 system but I figured that it was overpriced for my phase 1 build,  since future phase 2 plan is for a motor swap anyways.

Look! Squirrel!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I keep hearing that the cheap little electronic box that you use to setup/tune the car has a fairly high failure rate.  The companies apparently want you to return the boxes, and won't send an exchange.  You are now stuck with whatever turn around time it takes for them to repair it..

Well, for what it's worth, I am fairly sure you don't have to have that plugged in for the car to run. It just does the set up and any later manual tuning, not maintain your settings (those are stored in the ECU, inside the throttle body). And if you are in the one year warranty period, they will exchange it (at least according to online reviews they will, see below). 

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I have never actually spoken to someone that had that happen, so that could just be rumor.

Funny thing is, there are Youtube videos from various shops saying never buy the FITech, and other shops saying never buy the Holly unit

Over the last few years I have learned an invaluable truth. The internet is a vast repository of people who love to hate on things they shouldn't. 

Everyone I have talked to personally (not internet rumors) that installed an FITech had good things to say. Some reported small part failures, which were quickly rectified by Summit. Several have been running them for 3-4 years with minimal fuss. Several made the comment that most of the bad reviews seemed to be from people who incorrectly installed it/set it up. Some people just shouldn't be allowed around cars and tools at the same time. 😄

I also look at it as, I don't know anyone who slapped a new carb on a car that worked perfectly and continued to do so for years and years. It's an old car. If you don't want to tinker with it, get a new car. 

Yes, it costs double what a new carb does, but it sure seems like it's totally worth it. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, EDM620 said:

I'm in favour of the FI setup for the turn-key reliability, and had originally intended to go with the Sniper 2300 system but I figured that it was overpriced for my phase 1 build

Same. I just want/need basic and reliable. So it's either an entry level EFI or a new Edelbrock carb for me. 

6 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Over the last few years I have learned an invaluable truth. The internet is a vast repository of people who love to hate on things they shouldn't.

Are you saying that not everything on the internet is the absolute truth?!?!?!?!  😮

When I was looking for a 30's-40's car, I looked at a '38 Chevy Coupe for sale.  It had a sniper system on it that seemingly worked very well.  He was telling me he spent two weeks going back and forth with Holley because it wouldn't run right.  Finally, the tech line asked him if he had a metal screw, or a plastic screw holding down the air cleaner.  He had a metal screw and changed it to plastic which cleared up the problem.  I thought the guy was kidding, but he swore up and down the air cleaner hold down was causing rf interference with the system.  

Eventually, I will end up with an EFI system on my car.  I am also leaning towards the FITech unit if I had to buy today.  My car had a new Edelbrock carb on it currently, and it runs great, so I'm in no rush to fix it...

👍  👍

13 hours ago, Duncan said:

Eventually, I will end up with an EFI system on my car.  I am also leaning towards the FITech unit if I had to buy today.  

I was bouncing back and forth between the FITech and the Summit MAX-EFI 500. The Summit kit is actually manufactured by FITech, so quality should be consistent between the two. The main difference is the FITech has a built in fuel pressure regulator (Summit does not), but the Summit has an external ECU (FITech is built into the unit). In the end, the built in regulator was more important to me than the external ECU. 

And the FITech comes in gooooooooooooold. 

fif-30005_ja_xl.jpg

9 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Such a tease. 😄

It has a serious Carolina squat right now due to no engine. When the engine gets in the car, I'll show the rest of it. 😁

There's also a really cool Dodge van blocking my shot...  😄

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

And the FITech comes in gooooooooooooold. 

You know what they say...Green is for the money, and GOLD is for the honeys...

Have you heard about the Edelbrock AVS carbs.  They actually atomize the fuel before it squirts into the manifold.  I spoken with two guys who personally switched to them, and they say the difference is night and day.  It's ALMOST like fuel injection, but obviously no ecu tweaking like you can with the later.. The carbs sell for about $400-$500-ish.

I'm not rushing out to get one, but they sound kinda cool..

12 hours ago, Duncan said:

Have you heard about the Edelbrock AVS carbs.  They actually atomize the fuel before it squirts into the manifold.  I spoken with two guys who personally switched to them, and they say the difference is night and day.  It's ALMOST like fuel injection...

Actually, the AVS2 is what I was going to buy before I fell down the EFI rabbit hole...  😄

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-19059

edl-1905_cn_xl.jpg

• Like 1

And I may still buy that one... 😄

It's been a very tough choice between simple/cheap to install (AVS2) versus simple/cheap to manage (EFI). 🤔

Those Edelbrock carbs are dead simple to operate, they don't leak (like most Holleys), and they are super simple to set up. They are basically the Weber 32/36 of the 4bbl world.

In fact, the first generation AVS carbs were actually made by Weber. If you peeled off the Edelbrock sticker on the front it was stamped Weber underneath. 😋 

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

They are basically the Weber 32/36 of the 4bbl world.

In fact, the first generation AVS carbs were actually made by Weber. If you peeled off the Edelbrock sticker on the front it was stamped Weber underneath. 😋

I was just about to say this very thing!

I am looking at Ford old ramp trucks to have something to drag shit around locally.  Prices have skyrocketed up on ramp rucks  just like everything else.  My thoughts are to get one of these standalone FI systems to improve the fuel economy.  I am curious to watch your install.  

edit: As far as reviews go, folks with bad results seem to post and review things more that someone who had a great or satisfactory result.

Edited by bilzbobaggins
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

As far as reviews go, folks with bad results seem to post and review things more that someone who had a great or satisfactory result.

This!  I try to review stuff I'm happy with whenever I can remember to do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

As far as reviews go, folks with bad results seem to post and review things more that someone who had a great or satisfactory result.

Yeah, if you make a customer happy, they tell 3 people. If you make a customer mad, they tell EVERYBODY THEY MEET...

Got the timing cover off yesterday. Timing chain is of the double roller variety, and looks like new also...

image.jpeg.a1a889ddf99f3799aff0b89910ce94f5.jpeg

Did my best to get all the oil and grime off the block. Came up decent, but still need to hit it with the wire wheel again to knock this surface rust off...

image.jpeg.917f5a623f90a4d2a75ff27dc507e582.jpeg

• Like 4
On 8/4/2022 at 6:21 AM, datsunfreak said:

If you make a customer mad, they tell EVERYBODY THEY MEET...

Ain't that the truth! I try to make sure when I'm given service that's above & beyond expecations that I let their employer know too - going the extra distance for a customer needs to be recognized.

• Like 2
  • datsunfreak changed the title to 1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules