1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules

1 hour ago, dimlight65 said:

Today on "No Context Theater"...

giphy.gif

After looking around at different high temp engine paints, well....

image.jpeg.6fda3ae2d0c06b2c38571f0bcd778ee7.jpeg

My oil pressure sender did not fit in the space provided, but I found a cool brass adapter that allows you to mount it at a 45 or a 90 degree angle from stock (no, it's not painted)...

image.jpeg.af0a86ade3ec26ea9b1b39798849f67f.jpeg

Valve covers, intake, and timing cover on...

image.jpeg.b5f112a232a2c004184007bb4072ed15.jpeg

Hoping to get crank pulley back on next time, and maybe swap oil pan and install dizzy. 👍

• Like 4
  • Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, Duncan said:

I'm liking the gold! 

Is this painted or anodized? Looks like anodized in the photo...

image.jpeg.6ce41193d392b5e103a8837bc686b

Actually, neither.  😁

The oil pan is gold cad plated. It may get painted, not sure yet. Original plan was to keep it as is to compliment a blue block. But the block most likely isn't gonna be blue now, so...  😋

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
On 8/8/2022 at 10:47 AM, datsunfreak said:

The oil pan is gold cad plated. It may get painted, not sure yet. Original plan was to keep it as is

And decided to leave it as is.  😁

Also installed the harmonic balancer and timing pointer from my 302 to make life easier down the road...

image.jpeg.725245aa770d2bd860dc6e327beb5a66.jpeg

While swapping the pan, I noticed the inside of the crankcase also looked brand new, you can even see the crosshatch on the cylinders was freshly done. I am 99% sure this engine was recently rebuilt. While the pan was off, I also removed the rear sump pickup tube and installed one for a front sump (forgot to take a pic)...

image.jpeg.f46405934b182ba0df7c8527ab25daae.jpeg

Tried to install the distributer, but that failed epically. I had ordered a new one, but it doesn't not fit into the block very well (too tight at the base, like it was machined a few thousands too large)...

image.jpeg.6c14c2cb8dc03d70625849d3ab033524.jpeg

Plus it came out of the box with the vacuum canister damaged...

image.jpeg.9db42a94183288d587a970d56e3af432.jpeg

Gonna see if I can find a reman factory dizzy, or may just go with something aftermarket...

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Not that I have ever really priced dizzys, but that seems incredibly inexpensive. 

Like a lot of things, they only come in two prices, either just under $100, or just over $300... 😄

And it seems to be down to whose name is on it. They are all made in China nowadays... 🙄

After doing some digging, I was able to find a company that offers a "matchbox" type distributor for it, at a reasonable price. Tim keeps suggesting using the GM style HEI, but they are so big and ugly that I just can't do it. Obviously the HEI is nice because the coil and spark box are internal, which beats the OEM style I wanted to use (both external). This matchbox dizzy splits the difference with internal spark box and external coil...

61-YbMZYOeL._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Like 2

Point the second is...

I am 99% sure I am going to buy the Edelbrock AVS2 carb for now, just to keep it simple.

Then some day down the road, after I put a few miles on it, I will convert to the Holley Sniper EFI and use the Sniper dizzy so I have fuel and spark control in one unit. 

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

I am 99% sure I am going to buy the Edelbrock AVS2 carb for now, just to keep it simple.

You need to put an enabler warning on this for me 🙂

I need to take a good photo of my current carb and intake (both Edelbrock) and see if they can tell me what I currently have.  I'm not sure if I can get away with the smaller cfm unit, or if I might need the 650.  My Ford runs really good, but somehow I think the AVS should make it even better...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I need to take a good photo of my current carb and intake (both Edelbrock) and see if they can tell me what I currently have.  I'm not sure if I can get away with the smaller cfm unit, or if I might need the 650.  My Ford runs really good, but somehow I think the AVS should make it even better...

Is yours a 350 or 305? If it's a 305, and you really prefer torque to top end, you could get away with the 500cfm instead. Slightly better throttle response and bottom end. 

I spoke to them and they told me a 351 is right on the edge of the 500 being too small, and if I wanted to have any mid-range I would need the 650. Ideal sizing for my engine size/cam is around 550-600cfm, so...

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I spoke to them and they told me a 351 is right on the edge of the 500 being too small, and if I wanted to have any mid-range I would need the 650. Ideal sizing for my engine size/cam is around 550-600cfm, so...

I'm pretty sure it's a 350.  Has a slightly lumpy cam and aluminum heads.  I don't go romping the accelerator much these days, but that Ford is fairly heavy and it scoots pretty well.  I'm guessing here, but I'd say it's in the 275-300-ish horsepower range. My wife had a 305 Camaro way back when, and it was quite the dog. 

With the front mount kit on it to fit in everything into the Ford, the front i.d. boss on the block is totally covered. That front boss will tell you everything you need to know about the motor, and even what kind of car/truck it originally came in.

I'm sure you know that, and not even sure why I'm repeating this.....  🤪

• Like 1
On 8/11/2022 at 1:13 PM, datsunfreak said:

Tim keeps suggesting using the GM style HEI

Because I'm lazy and the "all in one" aspect almost beats out the mud-fence, flat tire, butt-ugly aspect for me.

• Like 1

So got the (second) new distributor on, coil mounted (sort of, needs shorter bolt), water pump on (missing one bolt I need to buy), dipstick in, thermostat and housing installed, and motor mounts installed. We also took a look at, and formulated a plan for, the alternator mountings. And of course we need some more/different bolts to make that work because nothing can be simple...  😋

image.jpeg.9a76e50c0a9f95197422e8292a65e9e8.jpeg

Also wanting to find a water pump pulley for it before we install it in the car, but I think we need to put the alternator and crank pulley on first to see which one we need. Just trying to do all the little things that are ten times easier on the stand than they are in the car...

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2
32 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

Also wanting to find a water pump pulley for it before we install it in the car, but I think we need to put the alternator and crank pulley on first to see which one we need. Just trying to do all the little things that are ten times easier on the stand than they are in the car...

I'm not so sure about 351 motors, but the guys in San Diego were always hassling with different lengths of water pumps / alternators , etc, etc or their 289's or 302 motors.  Hopefully, the 351 motors are better about that. 

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

I'm not so sure about 351 motors, but the guys in San Diego were always hassling with different lengths of water pumps / alternators , etc, etc or their 289's or 302 motors.  Hopefully, the 351 motors are better about that. 

Well, my water pump and crank pulley are both spec'ed for a mid-70s car 351W, so that should be what water pump pulley I need, but it's tough to find listings for them that list what they are specifically made to fit. Heck, it's tough to find them even with their depth listed. It looks like as far as OEM goes, there are only 2-3 options so I'll get there eventually...  😁

Alternator is going to need (mostly) custom brackets anyway, so I'm just going to make it line up with the cranky pulley and go from there. 👍

• Like 1

'80s 'Stangs were also heavy.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, datsunfreak said:

Tim keeps suggesting using the GM style HEI, but they are so big and ugly that I just can't do it. Obviously the HEI is nice because the coil and spark box are internal, which beats the OEM style I wanted to use (both external). This matchbox dizzy splits the difference with internal spark box and external coil...

61-YbMZYOeL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Bigger will reduce arcing across plug towers and carbon tracking.

• datsunfreak changed the title to 1967 Galaxie 500 Project, aka Jules