The 620-z

craig2001

Hi guys, 

I figured it was about time I threw a write up together about the truck I spent the the best part of a year building to finally make a deadline of my own wedding.

So a couple years ago I found Datsun 620 in a barn, it was tucked away in an equestrian facility between footballers houses right by tottenham hotspur's training ground.

Before buying this I had never even heard of the truck but from the pictures alone I fell in love and started mentally building the project.

I am a big fan of resto-mod's so knew from the get go that this would require some new suspension and running gear, once I had it back in the workshop I took measurements and came to the conclusion that the MX-5 would be an ideal candidate for suspension geometry due to its track width and the trucks weight being so similar.

As for the running gear I wanted to keep it in the Nissan family and due to the trucks short nose I decided to pick up a 350Z as a donor and carry everything I could over to the truck. 

And thus began the build of the Datsun 620-z

AXL7d1J.jpg

7zemBRI.jpg

XPyPsKg.jpg

6dFpiqg.jpg

bOXIpxX.jpg

t4EBKs1.jpg

tpJtTv8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The truck had not moved in 30+ years and once home a good clean was needed,

The car was like a time capsule inside containing everything that was in it on the last day it was used, news papers, documentation, money, even the recipt for the Ford pickup that inevitably replaced the datsun and saw it parked up in storage.

Next of course came the breakdown and after a good clean I began stripping her down.

lTNfvVo.jpg

PLJ7Hfg.jpg

the brake fluid had seen better days 

H1bZzP4.jpg

VdUlfHn.jpg

kX9qmMG.jpg

dDIWVxp.jpg

IhJjJIM.jpg

vc3Z2Dz.jpg

LEzVVh6.jpg

dDUFEQE.jpg

• Like 3

Next up was a big step.

I decided i would commit to the MX-5 suspension but simply welding in a front sub-frame from an MX-5 as I had seen some examples of would not be something I want to do.

they are far to ugly, bulky, rusty, flimsy  and fairly impracticable where space is concerned for what I would like to do.

So with that in mid It was clear I would fabricate something of my own using the MX-5 subframe as a basis and transfer over the desired mounting points to achieve the desired geometry 

So I began by making a subframe jig....

qQ1VOyi.jpg

zmIBC2O.jpg

R8y3A40.jpg

c6gJkq6.jpg

QfLWtxz.jpg

t5fu16s.jpg

Once that was complete I began making my own subframe

LlKBKYb.jpg

PrInhb9.jpg

• Like 2

After completing the lower of the subframe jig I had both a level point to take measurements off and something substantial to weld into position, So I began modifying the chassis to accept its new front frame.

D3QLIA2.jpg

H96DAey.jpg

uyLdOqF.jpg

4z5UC1P.jpg

E2zXDBX.jpg

gzwcWKF.jpg

80Kusjj.jpg

AvWvADY.jpg

OXrrrhd.jpg

H3B3fkn.jpg

Next up was to create top mounts for the suspension uprights. I had saved the top mounts cut from the MX5 so that I could bolt to two holes pre drilled in the top of the upper arm mount so that I could achieve alignment. 

KZbdyqE.jpg

v1jG85J.jpg

ABVs2pD.jpg

XbF7YiQ.jpg

And then she was back down on her own feet up front

• Like 7

Next up i turned my attention to the rear of the chassis and began to consider how I would mount the rear subframe. For the rear thanks to the available space I knew i wanted to keep it as a removable bolt on item for ease of maintenance. 

Upon measuring I found that the rear sub-frame would sit perfectly between the chassis rails.

It seemed all to easy on paper but with a little measuring it became quite obvious that the rails would cause issue with the upper rear wishbone and also the coilover itself.

I found a few versions people had done by notching parts around the vital components but that was not for me so I knew some drastic chassis cutting was needed. 

Which is what follows.

First I removed every unnecessary bracket

dFqHsv4.jpg

next I made up the ideal chassis section that will need to replace what is existing.

SruAw01.jpg

ejS3Z1h.jpg

Once that was made I could actually begin to weld the item into the rear of the chassis without making any cuts to the existing chassis legs. This plus a number of ugly braces welded in were perfect to prevent the chassis from moving when cuts were made.

1mr1aPh.jpg

kFXrdwt.jpg

Qt3Cmyz.jpg

9hmJRFe.jpg

8e7TYbf.jpg

As you can see this allowed me to do one side at a time completing it in two halveds. Once the chassis rails were complete I could move to complete some more extensive bracing.

3YsJ9jA.jpg

wiX3okf.jpg

1mU2b8D.jpg

G2kHdAZ.jpg

5SyccI8.jpg

And finally back down on all 4 wheels with twin wishbone independent suspension :)

qxhv91j.jpg

tv0gmSW.jpg

yuK8xSI.jpg

yuK8xSI.jpg

• Like 6

Farmer took the word right out of my mouth, this is awesome, my first question would be how long it took from when you pulled the engine to when you started it up and pulled it out of the garage under it's own power?

This is reminding me of the MX520 top secret project which took a couple years.