The 620-z

craig2001

I used my wedding as a deadline also. If im honest im not sure if i was a bit over ambitious or naive, what was 3-4 hrs work on weekday evenings  only in the last 4 months became 4-7 every evening and almost every weekend solid. It near killed me in the final month haha 

• Like 1
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Short post on modifying a rear MX-5 subframe to take a 350Z diff as I didnt get many pictures.

The 350z diff s quite a simple item to mount, with two mounting bushes up from and one rear pin that goes through a bush mounted in the subframe itself.

At this point having the subframe mounted to the chassis was important, I had it fixed in place when i found a fixed 90 degree angle between the frame and the diff input flange. I then centred the diff input flange to the chassis and also the output drive shaft flanges needed to be located correctly and in line with the rear knuckle so that the drive shaft would not foul the rear suspension upright.

For the front I made the new box section mount that I wanted to weld to the MX5 subframe, I also made a rear mount that would be fixed at the back of the subframe.

I fixed the new mounts to the diff and got it into position within the subframe and measured several times before tacking the mounts into place.

i then removed and fully welded. Here are some pics.

GUMihCO.jpg

nFvooNg.jpg

ch1oFbZ.jpg

v5uwRtJ.jpg

RxQlIza.jpg

ftUF4nX.jpg

• Like 1

The front end was next on the agenda as i began to turn my attention to the body work,

Getting parts in the UK is quite difficult and the inner wings of the truck and the front panel was in bad shape.

I was able to get a replacement front panel and being that I planned to fit a V6 I decided it would be best to have a removable front clip. 

And so began the cutting.

I first made side supports and had some laser cut components made to suit.

PuEUXhC.jpg

iaFxIc0.jpg

0k5z9lt.jpg

fDCKCon.jpg

CgCotqK.jpg

I then removed the front panel and the inner wings and began fitting the new front panel.

Wyokr7F.jpg

V6xomnp.jpg

urKG8TD.jpg

wPCLoE2.jpg

xuvfKmD.jpg

Once that was complete I could get an idea of how the panels would fit.

XrnpxZR.jpg

iVpCSFe.jpg

lRXusep.jpg

RbxBFal.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice work.  I'm building a pretty modified 720 and I've been planning a bolt on front body assembly like you built.  Nice to see someone else's approach to the idea.

• Like 1