Any other guitar players/builders?

59 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Someone sent me this link which I thought had disappeared quite a few years back.  The price is outrageous enough, but the $6.50 shipping is even more absurd.

A must have for the serious collector

That is awesome!!!  😄

I didn't really know people collected those. Especially at those prices...

If you still have any, you may be sitting on a gold mine! 😁

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

If you still have any, you may be sitting on a gold mine! 😁

I had a metric shitload initially, but I have probably about 100-ish left now. 

I used to go to the NAMM Show and a lot of pro guitarists have personalized picks. After talking business for a few, I'd ask them if they had a pick they could give me.  If they gave me one, I'd give them one of mine.  Most of those guys were floored when I gave them one back.  They usually said that they never got one in return.  We'd have a good laugh, and that was one of the things I used to break up those long-ass days on the floor at NAMM. 

BTW, that has been on ebay for quite a few years and still no takers...

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I had a metric shitload initially, but I have probably about 100-ish left now. 

Most of those guys were floored when I gave them one back.  They usually said that they never got one in return...   

Makes me wonder where they got it from then...  🙃

5 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Makes me wonder where they got it from then...  🙃

I used to play in Orange County and Los Angeles.  If I knew someone playing there the following night, I'd throw a small handful on the stage to let them know they were following me 🙂

I also liberally gave them out at various dealers and trade shows, etc, etc, around the country.  

Again, all in good fun.  I had business cards, but the picks were just a little unique touch that was pretty cool.. 

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Not really a builder of guitars, but I don't know if I ever posted this.  Here's a guitar and amp I painted to have a matching pair. 

Funny story on this '61 Custom Shop Telecaster.  This was a dealer return because it had the wrong headstock decal.  The Monday after a LONG NAMM Show, I got a call from Corporate saying that I needed to do a segment on a local TV Show that featured the new Cyber-Twin amp that was just debuted at the NAMM Show.   I grabbed this guitar, and I did the segment. I kept thinking to myself that this particular Telecaster sounded really great.  I stashed it by my desk and took it to a gig that weekend, and it turned out to be a really, great sounding Telecaster which I've kept since '96 or so.  The amp is a very early Pro Jr.

I couldn't believe a dealer returned such a great guitar even after I offered to send them an easily replaced headstock decal.

Edit:  After re-reading it, the above kinda reads like it took it home and more-or-less stole it or never returned it.  I did purchase it, and wouldn't lose my job over doing something like stealing. It never returned to the shop, but it was replaced with a pocket full of cash 🙂  

This Tele is one of the one of the three I've kept after owning quite a few..

matching.JPG

This pair also matches a certain blue Datsun wagon....

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2
  • 7 months later...

One year at the NAMM Show, I had a small break and was walking the aisles.  Suddenly, I heard the unmistakable sound of EVH playing one aisle over.  I got over there quickly, and there was Eddie tearing it up on a Daisy-Rock guitar through some shitty little amp.  He still sounded like Eddie, regardless of what he was playing through.

Good times, indeed.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

A friend who is an executive type at a music manufacturer called me a while back and said this was in the works.  We're both Nuno fans, and I'm posting this here instead of the "what are you listening to thread"  The song is pretty good, but guitar players are picking their mouths off the floor after hearing Nuno's solo on this.

It is really other worldy and Nuno's mastery is on full display.  No puloffs, no tapping, and he literally picks every note.  Totally insane, IMHO.

11 hours ago, Duncan said:

guitar players are picking their mouths off the floor after hearing Nuno's solo on this.

It is really other worldy and Nuno's mastery is on full display.  No puloffs, no tapping, and he literally picks every note.  Totally insane, IMHO.

Always thought he was supremely underrated, probably because of the band he was in. Opening riff on "Rest In Piece" still slays. 🤘

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Normally, the shred thing kinda bores me, but when Nuno plays this, I find it amazing. So clean, AND he pulls it off live.

This just got posted. My brain pretty much explodes around the 30 second mark.

I will stop taking this thread off topic now.  Thanks for bearing with me 🙂

Edited by Duncan
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A very long time friend passed away last week.  I knew he had more guitars than the average player.  His widow knows absolutely nothing about guitars, so I went over to help.  Turns out he had around 70-ish guitars!  He does have a few valuable / semi-valuable pieces, but most are low end models.

I loved the guy, but I'm kinda pissed he did nothing to prepare anything in the event he passed away.

I'm probably going back next week to start the LONG process of cataloging the stuff with a photo to help his wife get them up for sale.  What a pain for a bunch of $150-$200 guitars.

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

I'm probably going back next week to start the LONG process of cataloging the stuff with a photo to help his wife get them up for sale.  What a pain for a bunch of $150-$200 guitars.  

What about contacting a dealer? Maybe someone like Norman's in Tarzana? Not the most money, but the probably lowest effort for you both. 

Any mexican strats in there?  😁

I was thinking about that, but Norm mostly sells higher end stuff. 

Not only that, he is one of the most miserable rat bastards I ever had the displeasure of having to deal with. Seriously, he is THAT bad..

There is one Mexican Tele that is a three pickup model.  I'm not sure what it is as I didn't ever deal with the production stuff.  I think it might be a Nashville Tele.  Oddly enough, I can't recall finding one Strat at all.  His two kids went through and pulled out a dozen or so guitars they wanted.   Might be one in there, but I didn't find one among the stuff to sell..

The nicest one is a Martin 0028-EC.  It's an Eric Clapton Signature model.   I strummed it briefly, and it sounds great.  The second nicest one is my old Custom Shop Tele baritone.  I made a real lopsided trade, but he loved that thing, so I'm happy he had some fun with it.

He also has an Epiphone Korina Flying V.  At the time, it was a more accurate reissue than anything Gibson had.  I suspect that the body is ash, but died to look like the yellowiish White Limba they re-named Korina back in the 50's.  I didn't really check it out, but it's never been used, as is most of his stuff..

Once I get stuff cataloged, I might take the list to GC and see if they might be interested in making an offer.  I know they will give a real lowball offer, but his wife won't have to deal with boneheads, and a quick sell might appeal to her.

Edited by Duncan
1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I was thinking about that, but Norm mostly sells higher end stuff. 

He had a fair amount of cheaper stuff when was there in 2019, some things as low as $250-300ish. I mostly only looked at Strats though. Always on the lookout for a cheapish mexican burst I can turn into an SRV clone...  😋

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Not only that, he is one of the most miserable rat bastards I ever had the displeasure of having to deal with. Seriously, he is THAT bad..

Never dealt with him personally, other than to buy a shirt.  😄

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Once I get stuff cataloged, I might take the list to GC and see if they might be interested in making an offer.  I know they will give a real lowball offer, but his wife won't have to deal with boneheads, and a quick sell might appeal to her.

That sounds more workable, and they may offer as much as a Norm-type dealer anyway. 👍

Cool idea for a thread. I play regularly at my local church. Never built one though.

Current go-to is a white Mexican Strat with maple neck through a POD Go. Previously used a Squier Tele vintage vibe and Gretsch Electromatic with Bigsby.

With the younger guys coming through the ranks, I’ve been really enjoying playing acoustic on a Cort and singing. Occasionally I’ll masquerade as a bass player.

Edited by Lachlan
  • Like 1

This "Gibson" flying V body showed up a little bit warped. Okay, a LOT warped. 😄

Since I wanted to replace the face anyway, my friend with a CNC helped me shave 3/16" off the face...

image.jpeg.b7395186b3a6d9077f586bc950f4a386.jpeg

Then to true it up, we shaved 1/16" off the back side...

image.jpeg.204bb6a077bb8b7072285da30c75f825.jpeg

This should knock it down the required 1/4" for a new face, and now it's nice and straight/flat. 👍

Of course, in the process of doing this, I learned that the neck pocket needs to be completely redone to suit the donor neck. See, the Gibsons are designed with a few degrees of tilt in the neck mounting face. The Ibanez donor I am using to finish this, is not. 😋

So I will most likely have to add some material to the neck pocket, then reroute it to suit the Ibanez neck. Once it is finished the "repair" will be invisible, so it's not a huge deal. But I am dangerously close to wishing I had just bought a template and made my own body instead of buying a "finished" body...  😑

• Like 2