• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

My last one had P90s, but this one is getting some nasty Seymour Duncan humbuckers😈

I love P90s, and will probably put them in my next build (red oak Tele). 👍

I still have my early 80's Strat with a humbucker bridge pickup and a Floyd Rose.  It originally had a DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge pickup, but I changed it to some other lower output Duncan pickup.   I can get tons of gain with pedals if I need it, but the early high output pickups just didn't have the tone.

I've known Seymour for a long time, and I would imagine he's figured out how to get a boatload of output along with better tone.

I also love the name of "Mayhem" pickups.

On 3/15/2022 at 9:30 AM, Duncan said:

I still have my early 80's Strat with a humbucker bridge pickup and a Floyd Rose. 

Interestingly, the guy I am building this for wanted a string-through-body fixed bridge. Which is good, because I will never install a Floyd...  😄

On 3/15/2022 at 9:30 AM, Duncan said:

I also love the name of "Mayhem" pickups.

Me too.  😁

• Like 1
6 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Interestingly, the guy I am building this for wanted a string-through-body fixed bridge. Which is good, because I will never install a Floyd...  😄

The Floyd's do have a tone to them.  They're a pain to re-string, but the damn things DO work as advertised.  The Strat I have is an '82 American made, and I bought it at Nadine's Music in Hollywood for $250.  I paid about $300 for the Floyd and pickup install 🙂  It's buried DEEP in my closet, but I'll dig it out sooner or later and post a photo.  I don't think I've even looked at it for 4-5 years now..

• Like 2
10 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Booo lol 🙂

I don't hate them, but they can be a pain to install and set up correctly. Enough so that I don't think it's worth the hassle for the benefit.

I've played a few Jackson/Charvel/Ibanez guitars with them and like them as a player, just not as a builder. 😁

That said, if you want me to build one for you, I'll figure it out. 😄

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Duncan said:

The Strat I have is an '82 American made, and I bought it at Nadine's Music in Hollywood for $250.  I paid about $300 for the Floyd and pickup install 🙂  It's buried DEEP in my closet, but I'll dig it out sooner or later and post a photo. 

I kinda want to see it now...  😁

14 hours ago, Duncan said:

I don't think I've even looked at it for 4-5 years now..

Tell you what, don't open it, just slap a FedEx label on it with my address, I'll look at it for you.  😋

Edited by datsunfreak
16 hours ago, thisismatt said:

I worked on some doors at Seymour Duncan's house one time. That's all I got 😅

I worked at Fender in the Custom Shop when I was introduced to him.  He was somewhat surprised by my last name (Duncan) and IIRC, I seem to remember he never ran across anyone with the same last name.  He actually sent me a Christmas card the following Christmas.  The NAMM Show is usually in January/February, so I went by there booth and thanked him in person.  I don't attend trade shows anymore, but we always looked each other up nearly every trade show we attended, and we because pretty friendly.  He really is a very nice guy.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I don't hate them, but they can be a pain to install and set up correctly. Enough so that I don't think it's worth the hassle for the benefit.

I've played a few Jackson/Charvel/Ibanez guitars with them and like them as a player, just not as a builder. 😁

That said, if you want me to build one for you, I'll figure it out. 😄

I have been thinking about this actually, ever since our last pm's. I even have a donor... not sure if your into V's?  😄

I honestly can't tell you when I last had any thought about this guitar.  At the time, I was playing in an all original material kick-ass bluesy rock and roll band.  I more or less bought this because of the price, (and honestly) it was a very trendy thing to have back then. 

It's in better shape then I remember, it's MUCH heavier than I remember, however it plays better then I remember 🙂

It's late, but I'm curious to plug it into a Marshall and see what it sounds like.  I'm pretty sure the bridge pickup is a Duncan '59..

floyd.jpg

I can't believe it, but I've owned this now for 40 years...

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2
On 3/18/2022 at 6:34 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

I have been thinking about this actually, ever since our last pm's. I even have a donor... not sure if your into V's?  😄

Not yet, but have been wanting to build one...  😁

My shop mate Tim is super into Hello Kitty stuff so I keep joking that I'm gonna build him one of these, but he says if I make it a flying V instead he might actually try to learn how to play it...   😄

The vintage korina (aka white limba) Vs are dead sexy...

594528fe9fb9366bded019f8dfe8d0f7.jpg

And I have some black limba that would be tits on one...  😁

pdbukijweqyazfx3aa75.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1

I have a very Custom Robben Ford that is all natural limba, and 100% lacquer finish. 

It's REALLY nice.  It's very Les Paul-ish, but I'm thinking it's going up on the block pretty soon.  It's another one I've owned for 25 years or so, and I only played a gig with it once.  The guy that built it for me came to a gig right after I got it, and that was the last time I ever used it in public.  Cars and guitars that are exceedingly nice really should go to persons other than myself 🙂

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

he says if I make it a flying V instead he might actually try to learn how to play it...   😄

They are cool, and if it has a bigger neck, they can sound really good.  They aren't the most comfy thing to play if sitting down. though..

Yeah, it can be done, but it's still less than ideal, IMHO of course. 

I had a very early reissue for a few years, and I really liked the fact that it was fairly light and had a HUGE neck on it. 

What's with the guy playing a jazz chord on a flying V?  That's not allowed on those 🙂 

• Haha 1

This is going to be a string through body, and instead of individual ferrules, I prefer this...

20220320_170728.jpg.e712f99a6db75c40b10743ca642a82dc.jpg

Neck test fit...

20220320_163121.jpg.3b2ed108eaa542814c28c74a8cd63794.jpg

Starting to look like a real guitar now...   😁

20220320_163138.jpg.ce9fbbee40185a7c5cae8d1457f2ef70.jpg

I also drilled the top side holes for the strings and bridge after that pic. Just been sanding and sanding trying to get it super smooth. Hoping to add some stain to it today or tomorrow...

• Like 2