Any other guitar players/builders?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And after a TON of sanding, we are here...

large.IMG_20200229_164321_689.jpg.1340a9

That is with it wiped down with alcohol to see how it will look when finished. Got a neck coming for it this week, so I I should be able to move forward as soon as that arrives and gets properly fitted...

Essentially what I plan to do is similar to the "parallel universe" Jazzmaster Fender put out this year. I had this idea before they released it, and I'm kinda pissed they beat me to it...  😄

large.PUV2JStratMSG-large.jpg.2dc01a9ce3

Mine will have Jazzmaster pickups and tremolo/bridge, but Stratocaster everything else. And I think I will make a maple pickguard to match the sides/neck...

• Like 1
On 3/4/2020 at 1:34 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

Love the way the neck color transitions into the body where you sanded it back

Thanks! I dig it. 

On 3/4/2020 at 1:34 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

How much are you getting for these 'Fakers' (Love that too BTW) 

No idea. This will be the first one I try to sell.  😁

First two I built for myself to keep (one Strat, one Tele), and the burnt Tele I built as a gift for my brother. This was my first go at something really fancy. 

The ice cream sandwich Strat is being built for a customer who saw that guitar on my Instagram and wanted me to build him a Jazzmaster-style Strat. I have enough wood to do at least 4 more of those bodies, though. 

Interestingly, the guy who wants the Jazzmaster/Strat already has a custom "hybrid" of sort. It's a Jazzmaster body with all Tele bits in it. I told him next I need to build a Tele with all Strat bits in it to complete the circle...  😁

Are you interested in one, or just curious? 

• Like 1

If that tattoed bonehead can't hear the difference in different woods, he's completely deaf, or he doesn't play at all.

Why you don't see maple bodied guitars? Bubinga, Purple Heart, ebony?  Beautiful as a top, or possibly fingerboard, but not a body.

Delaney Bramlett brought in the Rosewood Tele George Harrison played on the rooftop concert.  George modified the shit out of it trying to get it to sound better, and then ended it up giving it to Delaney because he hated the sound.  Delaney graciously asked me to play it, and the damn thing was (probably) in the 12 pound range, and it was the thinnest, screecy, nails-on-the-chalkboard sounding things I've ever heard.  

It was DAMN COOL to play that famous Tele, but it sounded terrible and literally weighed too much for a strap.

Fucking skull tattoos.

edit: I did go back and see his purple heart guitar.  He was only using veneer pieces and not solid woods.  What annoys me is says later that woods don't sound different.  Doesn't change my mind about his opinions or his fucking tattoos on his bald ass head.

Edited by Duncan
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Duncan said:

If that tattoed bonehead can't hear the difference in different woods, he's completely deaf, or he doesn't play at all.

Why you don't see maple bodied guitars? Bubinga, Purple Heart, ebony?  Beautiful as a top, or possibly fingerboard, but not a body.

Mark, somehow I knew this would light a fire under you...  😁

FWIW, they do commonly make basses out of both bubinga and maple. I have a maple Fender Jazz bass right now, in fact. And I feel like at some point there were maple Teles/Strats? But I can't back that up with actual science. I know there are tons of smaller builders that use it though...

I was not endorsing his opinions of the validity of "tone wood" or head tattoos, just excited that they featured my guitar.  😊

Edited by datsunfreak
1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

Mark, somehow I knew this would light a fire under you...  😁

If you play an Alder bodied Strat, and then an Ash Strat, there is a HUGE difference in sound.  Just sayin...

FWIW, they do commonly make basses out of both bubinga and maple. I have a maple Fender Jazz bass right now, in fact. And I feel like at some point there were maple Teles/Strats? But I can't back that up with actual science. I know there are tons of smaller builders that use it though...

Unless it's a Japanese model, I have never seen a maple bodied Fender bass.  Bass players usually want the polar opposite of what guitarists want, and they don't come close (frequency wise) to guitars.  We did quite a few flametop basses and other exotic woods in the Custom Shop, but they were always laminated tops to my knowledge.  Maple is very dense and heavy, and there no "lightweight" swamp ash maple, so I can't imagine how heavy a maple bodied bass would be.. We did use a lot of exotic hardwood fretboards and tops, but I can't really comment on bass tone.  I have zero to none bass experience, but I do know a great bass tone when I hear one...

I also used to tell customers to "never say never" when it comes to older Fenders..

I was not endorsing his opinions of the validity of "tone wood" or head tattoos, just excited that they featured my guitar.  😊

Well, honestly I couldn't sit through  "the skull" pontificating, so I didn't watch the whole thing and I missed your guitar 🙂

You never really said anything about woods or tone, but he was rattling off, and I thought he was just a UK Hipster-dork :}

You and I can disagree about anything and everything, but I never, ever take offense. We're always gonna be Bros.  Warning: I am actually recuperating from yet another round of heart surgery, so I am a little bitchy at the moment, though.  😐

As soon as I feel better, I'll post up a pic of my latest Tele with matching amp, and some of my other guitars.  I picked up a 2006 Les Paul Jr reissue a little while back, and my guitar buddies that have played it have literally lost their collective minds on how this guitar sounds.  It's just one of those special guitars.

Edited by Duncan
25 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Unless it's a Japanese model, I have never seen a maple bodied Fender bass.  

Mine is Mexican. I've seen a few maple ones, all were from Mexico, and a little on the thin side, probably to help offset how heavy the maple was.  

27 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I also used to tell customers to "never say never" when it comes to older Fenders..

Then there's this.  😃

27 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Well, honestly I couldn't sit through  "the skull" pontificating, so I didn't watch the whole thing and I missed your guitar 🙂

You never really said anything about woods or tone, but he was rattling off, and I thought he was just a UK Hipster-dork :}

Mine is shown right around the 12:30 mark, if you want to fast forward to it. I thought the link above would take you directly to that spot in the video as it's rather long and I didn't expect anyone to sit through 30 minutes of video for my 30 seconds of fame.  😂

30 minutes ago, Lockleaf said:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but does wood or shape of the body change the sound of an electric guitar at all?

That depends on who you ask. Duncan says yes, totally. I say, sometimes...    😁

IMO, shape is not too meaningful, other than that if it's a very dense wood, with certain shapes there would be more of it. I believe the biggest contributor to sound is 30% pickups, 30% amp, and 30% the guy who is playing it.

The other 10% is mostly chicken bones and voodoo...

Plenty of people would disagree with me and say guitars should only be made of certain woods. But to me, that's like saying a 510 is only fun to drive if it has an L-series in it. 

I choose woods based on what I think would look cool and/or function as intended. I choose my pickups based on the sound I want to achieve. And I haven't built one yet that sounds bad to me...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow i just realized my question on wood changing tone must have seemed a stupid.  I check in here often just to look around but i COMPLETELY missed your conversation with Duncan on that very topic just posts before.  Somehow i skipped that entire conversation.

Still, really interesting to read about and i will have to check out those 30 seconds of fame.