Any other guitar players/builders?

I have always wanted a short scale bass, so I figured why not build my own?  😄

Started with some oak and walnut scraps and made a 1.5" thick slab, then used some walnut pieces I had to make a book-matched 1/4" thick top for it...

large.20201020_173043s.jpg.e4feda900f847

The shape is of my own design, with hints of Telecaster, Stratocaster, and Jazzmaster all mixed up to make this...

I rough cut the slab to shape and decided to put it on a diet before gluing the top on...  😁

large.20201020_181758s.jpg.3673bdbb176d4

Top glued on and body edge routed...

large.20201022_184028s.jpg.3367b688bb302

What the back looks like...

large.20201022_184039s.jpg.48b62d05f863c

Cleaned the top with alcohol to get an idea on what the finished product will look like...

large.20201022_184300.jpg.a22b6471335096

Decided to do an elbow carve that shows off a bit of the oak underneath...

large.20201023_171656s.jpg.11fc80bd8fe05

I purchased a neck for it from thefretwire.com for a Hofner-style violin bass (think early Beatles Paul McCartney). It's a 30.25" scale (most basses are 34" scale)...

large.20201024_130315s.jpg.6c87591889a2e

I wanted a bit of fretboard overlap on the body so I trimmed some off the back edge...

large.20201024_130338s.jpg.a008e34d058c3

Then made a template out of MDF for the neck pocket on the body...

large.20201024_131745s.jpg.32c731d96b336

And got the neck pocket routed...

large.20201024_162737s.jpg.dfa2a5ac88873

If you are wondering why the neck pocket was left so long, it is because this neck is made to be glued on, not bolted on. So I decided to take advantage of that to try something fun...

large.20201024_162823s.jpg.6b0ba4ed3d9ae

Got the neck glued on and did some more carving and sanding to blend it all together...

large.20201029_170951s.jpg.d52855322be01

The upper end of the neck is sooooo comfortable on this now...   😁

I am still waiting on a few key parts to arrive, so I got a little crafty with the headstock. I don't fancy the Hofner "waving flag" shape so decided to tweak it a bit...

large.20201024_190321s.jpg.821e219e9fe08

This is more of a Paul Reed Smith shape...

large.20201024_191511s.jpg.9c0e9c806743d

I covered that with a piece of flamed walnut veneer and beveled the edge to make a sort of faux binding...

large.20201025_190236s.jpg.17b640f843bff

Then I made a truss rod cover out of some scrap oak and more walnut veneer...

large.20201115_192829s.jpg.f665dd5dd3ded

I'm kinda stuck there until the pickup and bridge arrive. But I have a couple of other crafty ideas on deck for this too... 😁

• Like 3
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Baritone Tele that is 27" scale.  It's tuned B to B.  I forgot the string gauge, but it's quite heavy.  With the long scale length and tuned down to B, it plays like it has .009 gauge strings.  It has some serious cajones... I'll get a photo of it soon..

5 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I have a Baritone Tele that is 27" scale.  It's tuned B to B.  I forgot the string gauge, but it's quite heavy.  With the long scale length and tuned down to B, it plays like it has .009 gauge strings.  It has some serious cajones... I'll get a photo of it soon

Very cool!

That's sort of the idea here. I'm looking at .040-.090 flatwound strings for this. With the shorter scale, it should be super easy to play, but conversely may be almost impossible to slap. At least for me.  😁

• 2 weeks later...

Killer.  If you ever want some Hawaii wood sent your way let me know.  I also have a wood hobby and have sources.  Koa, Mango, Ohia, Milo etc.   So many great woods here.  We pay too much for the normal good stuff though.  Oak, Cedar, Walnut...   I’m making Macadamia frames right now actually.  Looks a lot like silver oak.  

• Like 2
16 hours ago, tr8er said:

Killer.  If you ever want some Hawaii wood sent your way let me know.  I also have a wood hobby and have sources.  Koa, Mango, Ohia, Milo etc.   So many great woods here.  We pay too much for the normal good stuff though.  Oak, Cedar, Walnut...   I’m making Macadamia frames right now actually.  Looks a lot like silver oak.  

I would love to do one from koa, ohia, or really any of those woods...  😁

Thankfully oak has been pretty cheap this year, but ash has gone crazy. I've got a few projects going with bamboo too...

19 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

Have you ever looked at the guitars (and other stuff) made out of old skateboards?  I think people get some cool looks from them, not sure if that's up your alley though.

I have, actually. There's a cool youtube channel called Woby Design where he builds all kinds of stuff from broken skateboards. He's done a guitar, chairs, tables, and even a skateboard (much meta). I sent him an email and asked is he would make me a 1/4" panel to use as a top for a guitar and he said no.  🙁

So I just ordered some stuff from these guys to make my own. I just haven't had the time to dig into it yet. It is coming though...  👌

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

do you build the necks or buy them?

I currently just buy, but wanting to build one soon.  👍

Problem is, up until now it's been mostly Fender style guitars. I can buy a bolt-on "Fender" neck for only a couple of bucks more than the materials alone cost, so it's just not cost effective to build your own.

This build has got me interested in doing more with a glued in neck, so I am going to make a pass at building my own very soon. I built a router sled for cutting truss rod grooves, and picked up some walnut for the express purpose of building a multi-laminate neck with it. Still need to get some more tools though, specifically stuff for cutting fret grooves and cutting/installing frets. I do have the tools to level and polish them already, though. 

You can buy pre-slotted fretboards from a few vendors, so I may do it that way first, before trying to slot my own. 

slotted-fingerboard-for-fender-guitar.jp

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

I know you work in wood for these, but have you considered a hobby crossover?  Guitar bodies made from patinaed car parts?

I had not.  😁

I have however been collecting pieces of patinaed wood. I have some pieces of super old and weathered oak I am going to use to make one soon. 

I keep looking at stuff like this and thinking, what if...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7h_tjn-2lFtslozW0X4y

I am also keen on seeing if I could use an old weathered railroad tie, because the texture/grain on those is amazing...

47473654.jpg

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2

Very cool.  I can see that making some amazing looking pieces.  My brain instantly imagines a bunch different ways to make use of that grain structure.  I imagine the first just being clear epoxy to fill the gaps.  Then purple glow in the dark epoxy.  Then maybe fill it will molten aluminum.

Would it be possible to inlay a wide piece of that all the way up a neck, and then make a clear overlay with the frets on it?  Then you could see the texture but it wouldn't interfere with playing?

Anyhow, I will stop telling you how to do what you do.  I'm just enjoying the craftsmanship.

• Like 1
On 1/15/2021 at 3:54 PM, Lockleaf said:

Very cool.  I can see that making some amazing looking pieces.  My brain instantly imagines a bunch different ways to make use of that grain structure.  I imagine the first just being clear epoxy to fill the gaps.  Then purple glow in the dark epoxy. 

That is the plan. Cut it down to around 1/4" thick, flood it with epoxy, then use that as a top glued to another piece of wood. I am doing that with the old crusty oak I have. Obviously sanding it smooth kills all the patina, but you don't want to touch that roughness, so a thin layer of epoxy will preserve it as is while making it smooth to the touch. 

Would it be possible to inlay a wide piece of that all the way up a neck, and then make a clear overlay with the frets on it?  Then you could see the texture but it wouldn't interfere with playing?

Totally. And that's a very interesting idea. 👍

Anyhow, I will stop telling you how to do what you do.  I'm just enjoying the craftsmanship.

I am open to any and all suggestions.  😁

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...