Any other guitar players/builders?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just some random guitar stuff.  Yngwie is currently touring, and the band is complainig that they can't hear his guitar on stage.  They say he's not loud enough..

yngwie-wall-of-marshalls.jpg

I think I'm suffering from Marshall envy..

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2
On 9/23/2023 at 5:35 AM, ]2eDeYe said:

I don't even have one Marshall 😞 

I had quite a few and have been thinning them out. 

I owned most every popular amp at one time or another, and it just comes down to two for me.  Marshall or tweed era Fenders. I'm getting too old to deal with band foolishness anymore, so guitars and amps are being thinned WAY out these days.

• Like 1
On 9/23/2023 at 11:18 AM, Duncan said:

Yngwie is currently touring, and the band is complainig that they can't hear his guitar on stage.  They say he's not loud enough..

Has he still got his chops? I’ve got heaps of respect for players that keep improving late in their career. Jeff Beck was perhaps the best example of this.

I wonder how many of those stage amps and cabs are just shells. I watched an interview with Simon McBride where he said he used to use three amp and cab stacks side-by-side and it was just too much. He’s now using the two outer ones with the middle as backup.

I read somewhere that they are real.  He has a crew of 2 or 3 guys, and it takes them 3-4 hours to set it all up.  I think he really only used 2 heads and 2 cabs.  I did a show with him and Robben Ford quite a few years back. (If you can imagine that show)

Despite his reputation, he wasn't difficult to work with at all.  My friend and I were running front of house sound and monitors, and nearly murdered Robben Ford's roadie. 

Yngwie still has his crazy technical chops, but I can only take him in 15 minute (or less) doses.  I actually saw him when he first came to the USA in a little club in LA, and he was playing in a band called Steeler.  IMHO, he was MUCH better in a band with some commercially viable songs.  He was ripping it up when allowed, and he was somewhat more musical back then.  Now it's just speed that comes off as a wank-fest.  Again, technically crazy, but after ten minutes of it, you've heard it all.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Duncan said:

Damn.  I acquired both of these pieces around 1980.  i was kinda bummed to see them go yesterday.  I priced at the moon, and I got the stars for them, so it was a very good investment.

Speaking as a fellow with 5 guitars, I have only ever wanted just one good amp...  😁

And my current Fender can mimic a dozen different vintage amps, so no more amps for me...  👍

I currently have about 7 guitars, and three of them are going to be culled out of the herd.

I currently have the white JTM45 head and white basketweave cab, A very early JCM800 1x12 combo with a matching 1x12 extension cab, a '59 Fender Bassman reissue, an '69 4x12 Marshall basketweave cab, and an early '70's Marshall 2x12 cab.  

The '59 Bassman is going to go, and I think the original '69 Basketweave is also going to go.   

All said and done, I'll have about 4 good amp setups depending how I can mix and match the head/cab combos.

The JTM45 is really only about 30 watts, and with the 2x12 cab, I can crank it and not kill people.  Believe it or not, the 50 watt 1x12 combo is louder than shit.  🙂

I know that is still a bit of stuff, but I still get a call now and then for a gig or a recording session.  A few of the producers have specific requirements for gear and specific sounds.  A really prefer a Tele, but a Strat is requested quite a bit, and I do have a very nice sounding one.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1

I essentially have one amp, Crate Stealth 50w tube.
I have 2 other guitars other than these 3. One is an acoustic under my granddaughter's care the other is being rebuilt into something cooler than what it was.

IMG_1048.jpeg.a094082917886f0aad824941aee82ad8.jpeg

• Like 2

Not a real amp or guitar but a cool key holder Missus Kelmo found on a recent trip to Nashville.

WpI9jl6.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I thought I never really got a photo of my matching guitar AND the wagon.  I was looking through some old texts, and discovered this from appx 5 years ago.  My neighbor (with the Pantera) went to a Veteran's Day car show locally, and I brought the Tele I painted to match the wagon.  I didn't have a way to display it, so I just stuck it on a guitar stand in front of the car.  About ten minutes in, I realized that was a huge mistake.  People were picking it up and.or bumping into it, so it went back in the case in the the cargo hold of the wagon.

Michael Anthony from Van Halen came by, and I showed it to him (of course).  He thought it was cool, and told me Eddie had a few guitars painted to match the 55-57 Nomads he had.  Anyway..

IMG_9437.thumb.JPG.28e40ae17ef834b64a42c2819028f797.JPG

And no.  I don't wear the jhorts any longer.  It was quite a few years back.  🙂

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1