LS1 into 620?

Pokecatcher

Hello fellow datsun owners,

I'm looking for pic's and advise on installing a Ls1 into my 620 with standard front suspension.

Most 620 with Ls I've seen have custom fronts ends/ chassis.

Is there a reason for this? Apart from bigger brakes and better handling.

Yes, I've googled and searched Ratsun.

Any advice will help. Thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having searched Ratsun you already know it doesn't fit.  If you want a stock rad support and grill, the firewall and floor needs to be cut and the heater removed. If you want to keep the heater, the rad goes in the tray. You'll have to pick one but I would think stuffing the engine back as far as possible would help off set the huge weight gain on the front end. What year 620 and did Oz get the '78 and up disc brake front ends like we did. It would be a scary ride in an LS with four wheel drum brakes.

• Like 1

Hope you have a king cab, get out your sawsall or death wheel whichever you prefer and start cutting. I hope you do this swap just so I can see it and say I saw it. Your truck, your build, do what you want. I'm currently planning on putting a 350 into a 620 but that's future not anytime soon 

• Like 1

It's not just the exhaust that becomes a problem with torsion bars. The narrow width between the torsion bars causes all kinds of fitment problems. I bet an LS oil filter would even hit the 620 torsion bar.

I have been using the Holley oil pans lately. They are rather inexpensive and very low profile. They make tow different shapes.

If you've got a drum brake kingpin front end, I would ditch it and build a custom suspension. If you've got disc brakes and balljoints, I might try to do a coilover conversion and keep the rest of the suspension. In this case, I'd rather have the drum brake setup. That would give me a reason to scrap it and build something...?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for everyone's input.

my 620 is a 73 bulletside small cab, kingpin 4 wheel drum brake model

The rear diff has been converted to a 720 diff

Definitely doing a ls1 conversion, I'm maybe 1.5% done 

*Old engine/gearbox is out

*purchased a VX SS 5.7l LS1 4l60e

*will definitely need to remove torsion bars as there's 400ish between bars and 4l60e valve body is 395ish

*ordered some 2002 Frontera rear rotors dimpled/slotted 

*went to"u pull it"and removed 1999 Frontera rear calipers(painting red;) )

Probably going to coilover the existing front.

• Like 2

Hey man I love your idea here. Its going to be a very tight fit. 

Im currently in the middle of swapping a 5.3 LS into my hilux. 

The hilux has a flat firewall which has been huge in getting it too fit. It DOES fit though. 

Since you are going to try it on a datsun i suspect that recessing the firewall will HAVE to be done. That forward kickout that datsun firewalls do will probably put the engine way too close to the grill area. 

Mine is going to barely just fit a radiator and fan setup. 

Figure out your header routing as well. Ive built a custom set of headers for mine. It was the only way to get it to work.

Love your courage to tackle this though! Good luck!

• Like 2

You could try to recess the firewall like they did back in the 50's by cutting out the section and simply moving it back, then fill in the gaps. If you have access to sheetmetal tools you could even build in a nice radius to the filler sections. If you do not have access to those tools, you could probably find the pieces you need in some old transmission tunnel, or even a trailer fender.

There is room in the radiator support to cut in the radiator, giving you some extra inches at the front of the motor.

What accessories are you planning? If you don't need power steering or AC, the drive setup can be quite compact. Lots of companies out there making tidy bracket these days.

• Like 1

The biggest obstacle I see coming is the space for the transmission.  A smaller trans like a T5 would be a better fit, but eliminating the clutch pedal will give you more room for your feet.  

I just got started running 3" exhaust on my 620, so I'm positive there is room for it if you get rid of the torsion bars.  You will want to ceramic coat any pipe  under the driver and passenger feet, to where the pipe starts its horizontal run or heat will become an issue.  

If you go witha front clip replacement, try to set it up so you can use 12" coil springs instead of 10".  This opens up shock options to something soft enough to give a decent ride.  We run soft adjustable shocks with a 10" spring to limit travel (severely lowered)  and its "kidney belt rough."  

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
13 hours ago, Pokecatcher said:

So, plan didnt work.engine will sits to high if using stock lower control arm mounts and cross member.

Now going down the route of using a full 1983 L300 IFS sub frame, Similar to bolt in mustang 2, HQ holden front ends.

Try try and try again something may work.

Is it the oil pan that is the problem? Holley makes two inexpensive, very low profile pans that work in tight spots. I've used them both.

• Like 1

My 620 got a full front clip 'way back in 1980, couldn't stand the kingpin/drum setup. A few years prior to the clip I put on it I transplanted a Chevy Vega front suspension/ brake setup...bad move because it had so much bump-steer that it was crazy to drive (lack of knowledge at the time). The truck actually started V-8 life with a tired junkyard 289 Ford in 1979, I put over 100K miles on that combo (289 and C4 trans, 8 inch Ford rear). When it would hardly start from lack of compression I put a fresh 302 Ford in it. Add 200,000 more miles before my son pulled the tired 302 out to install a 350 Chevy and THM350 trans. He went drag racing with it at that point. When he went too fast, the tech guys required a roll cage which we put in along with a little NOS. After scattering the 350 it got a 406 Chevy and more NOS. A year of racing eventually causing the 406 to expire. NOS can be hard on parts. The truck was parked for 10 years before I got back to putting the truck back on the street with a fresh STOCK 350 Chevy. This will actually be engine #5 for this truck that I've owned since 1977. The original butchered firewall is still in place along with the ladder-bar rear suspension from its drag race days. The addition of some bushed heim joints on the ladder bars and a good panhard bar will hopefully make it more streetable. I wish my son would have left the three link suspension on it (from 1985) that I built long ago...a great street suspension, but he felt the need to go with ladder bars for drag racing. By the way, the 60 ft times were better with the three link...he was wrong on that call.

An LS fits with MAJOR work to install in a Datsun truck, it's wider than an old style Chevy and although lighter and more powerful, much more work to install. I have an LS1 in my 1935 Ford sedan since 1998 when that type engine was fairly new (no aftermarket LS stuff back then). It was a great choice then and still fun to drive.

The best V-8 fit for a 620 is a small block Ford with a rear sump oil pan but what would be wrong with a nice turbo 4 cylinder??? I might be tempted some day.

• Like 4

I'm gathering some images and scanning some historical shots of the truck. I will post them soon in an "intro" post.

Taken at Los Angeles County Raceway Palmdale (gone now) back when the 406 was still intact. It launched pretty hard on 10" tires. It's a crappy photo but I couldn't find the original so I scanned this one.

Datsun-launch.jpg

Edited by Ozz
ADD PHOTO
  • Like 3