Justice for the 69 datto (pics)

Jsoi510

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

got ECU and CAN/AM  box situated and secured  for now. Aint going no wheres homes,  wiring head aches are no joke, but finally got the engineerings to go broooooom broom 💨💨. going to start connecting my tail lights,  but going to have to do a little more reading on the wiring, need to figure out how I would wire the EZ-wiring harness  to the light switch, flasher switch,  wiper motor switch, that red wire is my fuel pump + I just need to re rout it back in through the cabin . 

ecu and can am box .jpeg

Edited by Jsoi510

dam I think by now I know where every wire goes on a stock harness, that dam  schematics page of my manual pop up the the minute I close my eyes! but up to now in the trunk I just need to tie in my side markers and license plate lights I to the light harness, which I have ready to tap into it but since they need some cleaning I left them  out for now.  but for now I have power to my park, my brakes, reverse and   blinkers which  im working on  them, they are at hooked up  at the steering column next just need to figure out the rest of the wiring) then test out there blinkers.

will need to  figure out my fuel gauge wire, and run my antenna power to the  rear.  but other than that! rear lights are a go

the front section I got power to park lights high beams and low beams using the  original light switch as well.  only issue here is my high beams  are on on position 1 and on position 2 EZ wiring not so EZ 😅 but happy that my rear and front lights are working. but that's probably beacue I have my high beam and high beam indicator wires runing to the same side as my  park lamps. I couldn't figure yet where to hook up the HB/HB indicator wire too. 

my horn wiring Is hooked up and working as well, just need to  clean the grounding point at the steering wheel to have it work properly. 

the heater switches are working and so are the settings on it. So far I must admit im still bit scared that I may not be hooking things right.  I am trying my best to read the diagrams and understand em,  but with no one who knows wiring to guide me if im wrong,  im just confident in  what im reading and studying to go ahead  connect things. up. I mean it only took me a week for that head light switch to get hooked up hahaha,  and looking forward to the flasher and wiper motor switch🤯🤣 still A LOT of work to do under the dash, mostly reading and figuring out if the ez wiring will hook up to the 69 cluster, I know it had a voltage  regulator on the back which If my memory serves me right it dropped the 12v to 6v? 

next step is to clean up the wiring in the front and the trunk  since I had wiring going everywhere  for the testing purposes, but cant wait to see that engine bay clean and free of all that wiring mess. Looking like medusas head all tangled up everywhere. 

will post pics soon enough 

An affordable but really nice looking way to wrap wiring is to use two layers of electrical tape.  Wrap the first layer inside out (sticky side out), then the second layer normal, sticking the two sticky sides together.  This creates a really nice vinyl tube allowing the wires to move inside it and also preventing the disgusting black goo that cheap electrical tape leaves on wires if you ever have to go back in.  It can be done with the cheapest tape there is and still give great results.  Personally i think it looks much better than the plastic loom, though not as nice as the woven expandable mesh loom.

• Like 2

This works great - I did it for the first time on my VG33 510 wagon project after hearing about it here on ratsun. You have to wrap twice, but the end result is very nice and should make future work much less messy. The other alternative is the more expensive Tesa tape.

4 hours ago, Lockleaf said:

An affordable but really nice looking way to wrap wiring is to use two layers of electrical tape.  Wrap the first layer inside out (sticky side out), then the second layer normal, sticking the two sticky sides together.  This creates a really nice vinyl tube allowing the wires to move inside it and also preventing the disgusting black goo that cheap electrical tape leaves on wires if you ever have to go back in.  It can be done with the cheapest tape there is and still give great results.  Personally i think it looks much better than the plastic loom, though not as nice as the woven expandable mesh loom.

3 hours ago, rosso said:

This works great - I did it for the first time on my VG33 510 wagon project after hearing about it here on ratsun. You have to wrap twice, but the end result is very nice and should make future work much less messy. The other alternative is the more expensive Tesa tape.

for wiring I did twisting wire by wire the put tape about every 4-6 inches, then passed it through the mesh tubing. but I might doe  the tape trick for the dash wiring.  need to get a few more rolls of tape first the lol. 

and they are alive!!! also being that its an entire after market wring,  and  me learning electrical as I go I am proud of how far ive gotten lol, and haven't popped but one fuse,  any one done  the EZ wiring on their 510? still need to figure out  my wiper motor, my turn signal switch and how to hook up. my high beams,, since at the moment my high beams turn on on  position 1 and 2 of my light switch, and that was with me flowing some info datzen mike posted  o the wiring for the  light switch.  the again figuring out how the hell I get. the ned wiring to work the head lights with out all the extra relay grounding work gives me head ache all day 

IMG_1165.jpeg

• Like 1
On 10/21/2020 at 9:56 AM, Lockleaf said:

On 10/21/2020 at 11:25 AM, rosso said:

So gave it a try and wow! You would think this would be part of common sense for us car guys. Since we are constantly dealing with messy  PO’s work😖 but dam thus trick us gona be the new way to wrap 

used The mesh tubbing to rout lines to the front and rear sections through the frame. but starting to do tape trick and like it so much more. Like Rosso said will make future work less messy. 

• Like 2

still stuck trying to figure out my light switch,  but took a brake and worked up on my wiper switch and my wiper motor,  which also works now.  wiper  switch is on dash already, and so is the lighter, 

still need to wire up the light switch correctly,  I had found somewhere a diagram of someone doing it off the stock light relay,  but I don't have that stock relay any more. I do have the entire car harness thoe, which as helped me figure out the routing on my 69 510 since most schematics out there are matching 70-72s  kind off like the black wires at the light relay on 70-72 (correct me if im wrong ) are different mine are red yellow and runs all the way to pin #1 go light switch, then pin 2 is actual ground on my light switch. I seen the other diagrams and its a different color than mine,    here's the link to where I found my 69 diagram https://cardiagn.com/datsun-510-and-pick-up-1968-72-service-handbook-pdf/

this is the light set up off the original light relay in a 510 http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26144

any help greatly appreciate

Took the advice from 243demo and drew a diagram then applied it in action. So now my high beams and low beams and front and rear park lamps work as they should. I’m sure this can be simplified  and if you know how I’m all ears. First time messing with relays  and it was fun.  But here’s is the drawing of how I did. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

Looking much neater for sure,  fuse box mounted and secured. All wires ran to their destination.  

only thing left to actually wire now is just the actual gauges, I’m still reading on schematics and post to see how to go about it. But hell all lights working, now.  Time to go and put on caliper  and pads  and hook up brake lines. 

the wires sticking outbid driver door are going to be removed and my green wires are my reverse light. 

the wires running across the bottom of the dash to the passenger side are my starter and alternator wires.  Temp and oil. They are going through the the fire wall soon. Once I see my alternator is charging and All is ok I will wrap and  tuck em.

1A74B425-DAAD-4E5A-99AA-617AF439CBB9.jpeg

3DB11E44-3BBA-411A-8C9C-FE84209E7F37.jpeg

• Like 2
On 11/5/2020 at 9:04 AM, Icehouse said:

Wow!  You've do so much work to that car! 

trying for sure! want to be riding in  the car already man!  that electrical surge was no joke, still have t brake my heads own the dash but for now I think I'm ok lol.   your box is what made it super easy! for the engine harness part thoe thank you!

just went to pick up all the 15LBS of chrome pieces I had for the car. going to polish them and see what ill actually put on,  most likely jut the hood and trunk trims, and  front and rear window trims.  as well as floor jam chromes  and that 68 front grill 😎 ohhhh so shiny  like star in sky.  with them vents (not plastic) and bumper plate light is this a 68 bumper light? 

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 3.48.24 PM.png

• 1 month later...