Anyone got a 'how to install a weber 32/36?'

d.p

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered this cone filter from K&N:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009WFRTH6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Still need to figure out the vacuum advance line, my dizzy has a threaded compression fitting but I do have a pertronix that has a vacuum advance plate with a nipple on it, can I just swap that one on when I put the weber on?   Wasn't planning on installing the dizzy at the same time anyway.   Or does anyone know the size of that threaded fitting on the stock dizzy? 

35509652856_0456de8eac.jpg

35509681626_5c34ca5e98.jpg

I could not find anything to convert my OEM advance to a nipple to accept a rubber hose.  I guess I could just jam a rubber hose over the threaded portion and hose clamp it down?  Going to have to come up with something to install the Weber.  

And yes to smog and no I don't have to worry about it cause my truck is registered as Historic so no emissions or smog or anything like that.    I just need someone to confirm I can remove all that stuff circled in red in my previous post (it all ties together).  

You can remove all that stuff. It's purpose was to inject oxygen into the exhaust stream and burn off or re-combust more of the pollutants. It does not effect your engine in a positive way. It was designed to reduce tailpipe emissions. Just be thorough in your de-smog adventure. Does that air pump have it's own belt? Mcmaster Carr is where I purchased threaded pipe plugs for the holes left when I de-smogged '71 240. I just searched Home Depot site and they also stock them in popular 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" sizes. You'll have to trial and error the fitment and possibly Tap the open holes to fit the threads. Totally worth it in the end, especially if you enjoy AND have the time to spend on it.

Do you have a Matchbox Dizzy? 

You can remove all that stuff. It's purpose was to inject oxygen into the exhaust stream and burn off or re-combust more of the pollutants. It does not effect your engine in a positive way. It was designed to reduce tailpipe emissions. Just be thorough in your de-smog adventure. Does that air pump have it's own belt? Mcmaster Carr is where I purchased threaded pipe plugs for the holes left when I de-smogged '71 240. I just searched Home Depot site and they also stock them in popular 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" sizes. You'll have to trial and error the fitment and possibly Tap the open holes to fit the threads. Totally worth it in the end, especially if you enjoy AND have the time to spend on it.

Do you have a Matchbox Dizzy? 

Yes air pump has its own belt but that comes off with all the other crap right?   I got time and I do enjoy working on it when things go right lol.   I have the stock points dizzy installed right now but have a pertronix waiting to go on after I do the Weber.  

At least 4 people have said that you don't need it.

Yeah well I didn't even know what the air pump was when you guys said that. I got it now though.

Fucking around and those injectors in the exhaust manifold are seized right and right...couple already rounded too. Looks like I can swap out the vacuum advance too.

• Like 1

Focus for the win!

You can use a dual point distributor with a Pertronix, but you have to use a single point breaker plate. Nissan Motorsports used to sell a solid breaker plate, but I don't know if it's still available.

But yes! Keep your eye on the ball and finish the carb install before opening any other cans of worms.

• Like 2

Not trying to install pertronix now was just going to swap the vacuum advance from the perttronix to my stock one so I will gain a nipple on that side.

Please don't, both units work , why start pulling parts off one for the other...

But not my stuff any more... i'd rather see you just pop the new dizzy in its all set and it works....

Temp swap the vacuum advance distributor on my stock dizzy with the vacuum advance distributor from pertronix so that I will have a nipple instead of the threaded end. I would then swap it back when I installed the dizzy you gave me.  It is just a couple screws and a spring holding it in place.  

cut the tubes off first, leave enough sticking out to fold over if needed. remove exhaust manifold, get the pipe fittings red hot with a torch, use pipe wrench to unscrew, replace with plugs. I put pipe plugs in and then ground them down even with the manifold, looks a lot cleaner than bent over pipes, lots of room to work in there now. If you do this remove the entire pipe that goes into the head

It would be easier for you to install your weber with the intake off the engine

And while you're at it, change out the distributor instead of screwing up one or both swapping parts, That would be the easy and smart way to go

Ratsun is funny because everyone saying cut,weld,fold,delete but as soon as I talk about swapping the vacuum advance diaphragm from one dizzy to another its like I'm about to kick a baby in the face.  

Anyways...still waiting for parts to show up so no movement on this, hopefully later today or tomorrow.  

• Like 2