1200 of dooooooom

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. Probably has 200hp! :D

Sounds a bit optimistic but I don't know enough about L-series to really say much.

Our family grocery getter has a 2.4L supercharged engine and only makes like 194hp :(

Either way I'd still love a supercharged L-series

I looked extensively into mounting a centrifugal (Paxton Novi 1000) on an L series a couple years ago. It is very do able. A Ford Probe intercooler has inlet and outlet on same side. So you could mount it under the distributor. Very short outlet into the intercooler and very short pipe to EFI manifold inlet.

In my opinion, the "way" to do it is with standalone EMS running fuel and spark with an intercooler. Dan Hall said he can build a very stout L series (or variant) 2.3L or so that is good for 12-15 psi all the time. This would make for a very raunchy L motor.

Just talking about it makes me want to do it again. Based on my estimates, the setup I'm describing, using the following major components:

• Very good condition block and head.
  • Cutom rods and custom forged pistons
  • An experienced skilled engine builder, o-ring'd head, etc.
  • Used or rebuilt blower
  • Custom blower mount
  • MegaSquirt EMS for fuel, spark and knock detection
  • Custom plenum style intake manifold
  • Custom crank pulley and blower drive
  • Intercooler setup as described above

With those assumptions, doing as much work on your own as possible, this is a $10k or so engine build. It also has the possibility of being well over 200whp, dependable, and able to be in a daily driver...

Point being, this is not a cheap endeavor. The cool factor would be over the top. So much more fun and interesting than another SR20DET..

Yes, that's what it looks like. When I was talking to a Datsun friend of mine about a supercharged L series, he suggested the clutch idea on the blower. Flip a switch and 6psi! It would be pretty easy to set it up in Megasquirt to have two tunes as well, controlled from the same switch... There is reportedly a Mercedes blower with the clutch from the factory..

RHD too. Never work on a LHD. I will confirm that there is a Mercedes blower with a clutch on it. My buddy had a 4 cylinder kompressor motor and I thought it was a good idea when I saw it. With megasquirt you could probably get the computer to "turn on" the S/C at a certain throttle position and at the same time have it switch to the second fuel MAP. Megasquirt rules!

this is a $10k or so engine build. It also has the possibility of being well over 200whp, dependable, and able to be in a daily driver...

Yes, I figured that. Rare as it is, I was joking a bit and making fun of the 4-cyl L-series. :) Looks like a clean build.

the old L28 turbo is 180 crank hp at only 6.8psi

I would bet that purpose built L20b turbo has much higher boost.

I like the supercharger idea over turbo. Any input Fineline?

To each their own I guess. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

The big problem I see with the clutched S/C is that you cant change to a smaller pully for more boost. U also again are using power to make power. If your using a stock configuration S/C then you are kind or stuck with the boost its going to give you when its going to give it to you. If you were going to use something like a paxton or vortec centifigul then you have the options like the p-trim or s-trim. These to me are the same as the turbos because they change the inducer and exducer dimentions to make boost earlier or later. With the aftermarket units you can also change the pulley to make more boost.

As the age old dilema goes you then have the turbo. Basically scavenging power to make power. I think theres a little more in the form of adjustability to taylor a certain turbo to a certain motor. Probably less in the form of bracketry and flanges to mount it and a little easier to mount an IC. For those guys thant want to do a "budget" build there are certinaly more turbos to be had at a J/Y.

Either way one goes you have to respect the fab thats going to go into making it work. Its not easy by any means. As long as you know the strengths and weaknesses of either system you can design yours to minimize the performance lost to the weaknesses and exploit the strengths.