• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Im thinking the speedo

Never had it disconnected so it would be odd for it to fall out of there.  

I guess I just need to crawl under the steering wheel (what a bitch to do) and see if I can find where it came from.  

• Like 1

Could be anything, maybe fell down the defroster opening. No way to grip it to tighten but it could be turned onto something as a spacer.

Brake light switches just use two thin nuts.

Will it fit a radio to space it or the knobs. (Yeah I know you don't have a radio but it may have had one in the past)

• Like 1

Yeah it is nice and my first real NOS part.

Got the wideband installed and not quite sure what I should be doing with it? After installing it and driving around for a little bit (its raining here) it mostly stayed green but when I got on it it went to 10.x - 11.x which richen up.  I couldn't get much higher than 4K RPMs because of the weather and I really have no idea what I should be seeing on the A/F.  Can someone give me a crash course on tuning with a wideband? 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 1

WOT is wide open throttle. So this would be balls to the wall hard acceleration or top speed pedal to the metal. Your air/fuel ration should be richer than part throttle and I would say in the mid 12s. Richer than this doesn't gain anything much and just shoves gas out the tail pipe. Your idle and highway cruise speed should be closer to 14.7 for best mileage.

• Like 1

Ok I got rich and lean mixed up, it didn't go lean at all during my short test.  Hard to see it too because the gauge is hanging loose until I get a mount.  So at more than cruising its going rich around 11-10 which means I should lean it out the carbs?  I had it backwards and richened them up but it started pouring and my helper (son) quit on me.  I tried to do it on my own but almost impossible to watch the gauge and drive around. 

Should the truck never be lean?  I only want it to be stoic or rich? 

I also swapped out my volt meter for a water temp and it hovered right around 160 which equates to left of the break in the line on the OEM temp gauge.  

• Like 1

It may go lean when decelerating. It can be slightly lean at idle and light throttle cruise but when the engine is working you want increasingly richer mixtures till the pedal is near the floor, then you want in the 12s.  

• Like 3

That's normal. It revved up but only getting enough for idle so... lean. I've hit 21 before briefly but I don't think this is anything to worry about. Carburetor engines do it all the time without problems. While this is 'dangerously lean' it is, after all, very little fuel and air and I doubt it even burns completely on it's way out the exhaust port.

I have slide carburetors and when letting off the gas, it goes rich for a couple of seconds, then quite lean. Does your down draft do this?   

• Like 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Does your down draft do this?   

He’s running dual 44 Mikunis.

DP, you can’t “fix” a top-end rich condition by turning any screws. Jets are the only thing you can do at this point.

If the truck is going super lean on deceleration and there is popping out the exhaust, then you could try going richer on the idle jets, but it’s a trade off really. Emulsion tubes and air correctors play a huge part in WOT tuning, but even then it seems like your carbs might not be too far off.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mainer311 said:

He’s running dual 44 Mikunis.

That should work also. Side or down draft have a single throttle plate and a venturi. I have a slide carburetor with a throttle plate but the slide changes the venturi size and am wondering if the a/f meter goes rich on let off before going lean.

• Like 1

I guess I am just trying to get the most of my setup and assuming having a wideband will help me do that.  RN I don’t fully understand what is ideal for idle, load and WOT or if they even matter. Meaning as long as it’s not too rich or too lean it’s fine.   

The truck runs great, super smooth on the highway, starts up super easy too but maybe not as fast as I expected.  Don’t get me wrong it’s a huge improvement over the an l16 but still slow compared to what I am used to.     

Anyways after driving it some more with the wideband under load it’s around 11-12.x give or take, never goes lean except on deceleration in gear but for the most part it’s between 11-15 driving around hooning it and such. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...