My 1971 521

d.p

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think my oil pan is leaking at the back of the block on the slave side.  I can try to take a pic but it looks like that corner of the pan isn't sealed against the block.  Almost like there is something there that is preventing, too much RTV or the pan is not straight in that spot.  I used the cork gasket plus a bead of RTV but for whatever reason that area the pan isn't laying flat against the block.   Can I just smear RTV in that spot to seal it up?  

• Like 1
On 8/21/2021 at 1:42 PM, d.p said:

Can I delete this fucker? It’s the evap tank and the line that runs to the engine bay is capped off and has been for a long time.  

image.jpg

That's a fuel vapor expansion tank and if you don't need to pass emissions testing, you can remove it. But, it's there for a reason. Fuel vapor does expand and needs to be vented off, in this case, through the EVAP charcoal canister. Removing either or both will leave you with one of two problems - fuel smell or pressure int he fuel tank. You could get a vented fuel cap/filler neck and have that vent off the gasses. at least that way, fuel won't blow back in your face when you fill up the tank.

• Like 3

Called the Vapor/Liquid separator.

Single hose goes to top of filler neck, left one of the pair goes to the top of tank (return) and the right one the vapor vent line, goes to the flow guide valve. If the tank build pressure above 0.4 inches of mercury the flow guide opens and lets the fumes into the crankcase for storage.

Never understood having those. Fumes collect in there but it's vented to the flow guide valve or later charcoal canister for storage.  I think the intent is to have somewhere that some of the vapors can condense over night and drip back into the tank, else why have two hoses from the tank?

• Like 1

Well at this point I guess I’ll just deal with it.  It’s not to bad and I got a pan under the truck to catch it. Maybe when winter hits I’ll do something about it. 

On another note I got some new wheels for my other car.  Sold the HREs and bought some BBS LM-Rs.  

CD3E8CCB-C029-4865-AB9D-7FDE03822C24.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my rubber valve cover gasket installed, and installed a new helicoil and used loctite in that one hole.  Hoping it holds if and when I have to take that cover off in the future.   

51456896103_b965a967c7_c.jpg

I also got some videos of my exhaust at idle and WOT, sounds pretty mean if you ask me.  Not sure if they will embed right but just click on them if they don't.  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 3

Looking to get my bench redone, does anyone regret getting leather?  Its cloth right now and not sure if I want to do leather or just cloth again.   My dog rides in this fucker a lot and I would think cloth would be better based on that alone.   

Does anyone know the original material?  Coconut husk or horse hair? 

• Like 1

It really just gets everywhere below the seat.  So I guess I should have all that replaced with foam then?  I got a magnaflow muffler (#14335) and a vibrant resonator (#1790).  What I do wish I did differently was exit it out the back or side, right now its turned down and not sure I prefer that over coming straight out the back,  

• Like 1

Well my lovely wife saved the day and brought me a NOS nikki pump and I was on my way.   Sill going to go electric I think once I figure out what to buy.  Fuel pump died on the way to the upholstery shop but I did manage to end up getting there.   They didn't have much in cloth patterns but I did kind of like the hounds tooth in either white/black or blue/black.  I like the blue/black but it is a lot to match the exterior of my truck.  

51465530772_5457b5a092_c.jpg

51467026159_fdb09e1841_c.jpg

• Like 3

Current seat is white/black and doesn't get dirty but I know what you mean.  I have a spacer on the fuel pump, the one that came with the airtex pump(s).  That white spacer is now in between the nikki pump and the block.  

51467403803_c45250e52f_c.jpg

• Like 1

@BrothersGarageYeah I like the idea of black leather/vinyl surround with blue/black hounds tooth inserts that would look cool.  Cup holders would be nice as well.

@banzai510(hainz) I threw it in the bed of my truck cause the spring fell out underneath the truck never to be seen again.  

Edited by d.p
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if I can change the oil pan gasket without moving the motor? Meaning can I just remove the center link and drop the pan?  if not what is the easiest way to change it? 

Also is the cross member removable on these trucks? 

EF9B1439-5912-4C91-9721-E05F4D24EB56.jpeg

• Like 1