Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

That website company is based out of Dubai. Order it anyway and see what happens.

I didnt even notice that, wouldn't be the first time I bought something from that side of the world.....

I'll probably see if that newer part number turns up something.....

If not I'll order through them and see what happens....

• Like 1

I tried searching for the newer part number on ebay and even found another website selling them....

The ebay one was $83, so I'll probably go that route since I can file a claim with ebay if I got screwed.... all seem to be coming from the Dubai area.....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Cast aluminum. No wonder it broke.

I'm just wondering what was the reason it actually broke....

When I did the rebuild a couple years ago I found a cracked bearing, I think this transmission had a hard life before I got it...  I suspect the fork cracked shortly after installing the transmission.. it definitely makes sense why my shift into 5th has never really smooth.... I'm just lucky I didnt grenade the entire thing.....

• Like 1

I've seen broken shift forks before, but most of them were in race cars. You didn't, by chance, use a big hammer to get the tailhousing on last time, did you? I don't think you'd do that, but thought I'd ask.

As per shipping, maybe it got smuggled over one of our unsecured borders by a terrorist. 😆

Keep that source for future parts needs.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I've seen broken shift forks before, but most of them were in race cars. You didn't, by chance, use a big hammer to get the tailhousing on last time, did you? I don't think you'd do that, but thought I'd ask.

As per shipping, maybe it got smuggled over one of our unsecured borders by a terrorist. 😆

Keep that source for future parts needs.

I dont think I did anything , no big hammer used on reassembly.....

Who knows why it happened,  I'm hoping it was just a fatigued part....

• Like 2

There's not really any force applied to it. It just moves reverse and 5th gears. Reverse every day, 5th not that often. No one 'hammers' reverse and 5th is not second. There are also stops so you can't force the shift fork deeper past the gear. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I have been slow going fixing the transmission, with the 4spd I can still drive it so I haven't really cared... I have had other things to do with the house taking my time..... 

My wife made weekend plans for our 14th wedding anniversary on August 2nd. She thought it would be fun to drive the datsun for the weekend ( first date truck ).... problem is it's 1 1/2 hours away in Rockport Massachusetts .... with no 5th gear I dont really wanna spend that long with the rpms screaming...

Taking back roads adds 1 hour to the drive.... she wont do that....

So I'm on the time crunch.... I figure if I can get the transmission repair by this weekend I can get it swapped in the following weekend and ready to go for the end of the month....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

DOOOO IIIIIT. The house can wait. (Says the guy going through another room reno.)

Tell that to my wife.... she got her new counters and floors finally so the kitchen is back to fully functioning I just have a few last little things to finish up.... 

Now I think she wants to redo the hallway again .... we just did that 12yrs ago...

• Like 1

My wife would laugh in my face if I suggested taking my truck anywhere but a short distance with her in it.  Meaning the nursery, Home Depot, breakfast, coffee and shit like that are the ones only allowed destinations. 

Edited by d.p
  • Like 4
45 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Next up was removing the roll pins that hold the forks on the shift rods, and then remove those parts...

Luckily no bearings or gears need to be removed for this repair.... 

20210712_174937.jpg

What about the detent balls and springs in the adapter plate?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

What about the detent balls and springs in the adapter plate?

I have the 3 springs removed, I left the detent balls in the holes for now and put the bolts back in so I dont loose them.... the 3 springs were the same size but one bolt was longer....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

My wife would laugh in my face if I suggested taking my truck anywhere but a short distance with her in it.  Meaning the nursery, Home Depot, breakfast, coffee and shit like that are the ones only allowed destinations. 

That's generally all she does too... I think we took it to my home town of Grafton Massachusetts a couple times.... that's about a 45min to an hour ride depending on the roads traveled.... 

I was surprised she wanted to, I only said it as a joke.... I could be wrong but I think Rockport is kind of a rich people area.... I like to make the rich cringe with the datsun by parking next to their expensive cars.... we took it to some fancy thing my wife wanted to go to once, I just think its funny exiting the truck in a suit and her in a nice dress..... I'd love to pull it up to the valet and see what they say or do.... but I dont trust that......

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

That's generally all she does too... I think we took it to my home town of Grafton Massachusetts a couple times.... that's about a 45min to an hour ride depending on the roads traveled.... 

I was surprised she wanted to, I only said it as a joke.... I could be wrong but I think Rockport is kind of a rich people area.... I like to make the rich cringe with the datsun by parking next to their expensive cars.... we took it to some fancy thing my wife wanted to go to once, I just think its funny exiting the truck in a suit and her in a nice dress..... I'd love to pull it up to the valet and see what they say or do.... but I dont trust that......

The valet would grind gears!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

The valet would grind gears!

Oh ya I forgot it has the millennium anti theft device..... 

I swear I am teaching my kid to drive stick shift no matter what.... 

I really wonder how some people ever got a license in the first place....

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Oh ya I forgot it has the millennium anti theft device..... 

I swear I am teaching my kid to drive stick shift no matter what.... 

I really wonder how some people ever got a license in the first place....

My son has a racing cockpit with a 6 speed, all he wants is a manual for his first car.  Goes back and forth on what it is he wants but most likely something JDM in a manual.  

• Like 2