A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

The smallest (1.50) needle valve will flow a bit less than 50 pounds/hour (8.33 gal/h) at a

fuel pressure of 2.1 - 2.8psi. Enough for 100 hp per carb!

(Extracted from a manual somewhere for reference. If I find the source I will edit the post.)

• Like 3
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well today was not a good datsun day.... Last night I noticed my parking lights in the rear were not on but I had interior lights and front parking lights.. I checked the rear harness and there is no power being sent, so it's not the bulbs.. I need to locate the plug that connects to the rear harness and check that spot next.... and no the plug not in the correct spot but it is buried in my dash above the ac unit.... 

If that wasn't bad enough I went to leave work today and I could not shift into reverse to back up....

When I got home still no reverse so up on jack stands it went.. I pulled that little mechanism that prevents a shift from 5th to reverse and that didnt help.... 

I'm pretty sure the only thing I can do now is pull the transmission to have a look inside....

Any thoughts?

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

Last night I started pulling the transmission.

Driveshaft,  rear mounts, speedometer disconnected and slave removed...

I'm hoping to get the rest unbolted today....

My thought is to put my 4spd back in for now, my ride to work is on a 55mph road so I'm usually cruising at 60...

Then I can fix the transmission while still driving just incase I have to order parts or something.....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Last night I started pulling the transmission.

Driveshaft,  rear mounts, speedometer disconnected and slave removed...

I'm hoping to get the rest unbolted today....

My thought is to put my 4spd back in for now, my ride to work is on a 55mph road so I'm usually cruising at 60...

Then I can fix the transmission while still driving just incase I have to order parts or something.....

Damn you dont waste time!

Ive been talking about swapping the transmission in my 510 for almost 2 years now! And the spare is just sitting in the basement hahaha... maybe one of these days...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, demo243 said:

Damn you dont waste time!

Ive been talking about swapping the transmission in my 510 for almost 2 years now! And the spare is just sitting in the basement hahaha... maybe one of these days...

If I didn't start taking it apart at 9:00 at night I might have gotten more done....

When you finally decide to do yours  let me know, if you need a hand with yours I can take a ride over... 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Have a look at the roll pins that hold the strikers to the shift rods. I bet one partially backed out. You may not need to pull the entire trans apart.

I'm hoping I can just remove the tailhousing to have a look but we will see once I get it on the bench.... 

I'm hoping to have a quick look before I put the 4spd in, then make the determination if I can repair the 5spd quick enough or not....

I'd rather be driving with a 4spd than not at all....

A side note I have also had a wierd issue with 5th.. shifts fine on the bench and sitting still but when I go to shift at highway speed it doesnt like to go... I have had to do a sort of double clutch thing then it slips in gear no problem.....

The problems keep coming too... 

I could not push my clutch slave piston in by hand last night....

No idea what's up there... 

Everything works fine, I think the spring was enough to return it but obviously something isnt right....

Had an advanced auto parts gift card so I spent the money on a replacement just in case.....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

If I didn't start taking it apart at 9:00 at night I might have gotten more done....

When you finally decide to do yours  let me know, if you need a hand with yours I can take a ride over... 

just gotta decide if I want to pull the whole engine/trans combo… or if i want to drop it out from underneath- which still requires lifting the engine to get to all the bolts…

probably just pull the whole thing - will make it easier to check the clutch and flywheel and their bolt torque 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

5th and reverse are held on by the big nut on the tailshaft. If that nut backs off, which is quite common, it can cause issues with 5th and reverse.

I'm hoping its something that simple.... I'd rather stuff the 5spd back in.... atleast I have options....

• Like 2

I guess I wasnt that lucky....

While the nut could use some tightening, it didnt back off because it was staked in place... it was not the problem ..

However I did find the issue....

I'm hoping it's been the issue with 5th all along.... everything else looks good.... 

So I guess 4spd for now.... 

20210618_170711.jpg

• Like 2

I managed to get the 4spd installed....

Driveshaft and slave cylinder is all that's left and I should be back on the road....

One good thing is I had bought a parts transmission awhile ago and it had this rusty thing on it... rubber was still intact atleast.... well i needed it in order to put the 4spd back in.... I had modified my original to mate to the 5spd....

20210618_184450.jpg

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Bummer. Used to be able to buy those parts over the counter, but now I bet you'll have to get one from a Datsun transmission guy. Or maybe a whole used trans for parts.

Ya it's looking that way... I can find an 86 and up shift fork but I believe that's for a 71c transmission, and if I'm right the rods the shift fork mount to are slight bigger...

I have the stumpy 71b which I believe is from the 84-85 720 ....

I need to figure out if the shift fork is the same as the long tail 71b transmission or not.... I imagine they are but I'm not 100%sure.... 

I also wonder if a 4spd reverse shift fork would work.....

I'm probably gonna put an ad up here soon... probably my best chance....

• Like 2

32819-E9800 is the part number for the 71B 720 (all years) 5 speed shift fork. A 4 speed will not work for this.

The earlier 71B 5 speeds used in the 280z, 280zx (non turbo) 620 and 810/Maxima are all the same and will fit.

Good news is the 71C used in the later D21 Hardbody 4 cylinder 2 or 4wd 5speed is the same but NOT the VG engine, has to be 2wd/4wd 4 cylinder Z24 or KA24E/DE. The 71C in the '86 and up S12 with CA engine will also work but not the VG 5speed.

S13/S14 (240sx) and on won't work either.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Found one for a 240sx 71C, shit. I know I have one, I took a diesel 5 speed apart.

Hey Mike I cant seem to find an available part with number 32819-E9800

However nissan parts website says it was replaced by 32819-E9810....

I was able to find a place with 4 available do you think that's a correct replacement part number?

• Like 1

The original part number was 32819-E9501. As it turns out, 32819-E9810 the S12 (CA engines) and the D21 71C (Z24i and KA) that I mentioned use this revised number.

E9501

E9800

E9810 are the 'fork-shift, reverse and overdrive' so yeah good to go.

How much?? I get $87.59 but this is old info and may be Canadian dollars.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The original part number was 32819-E9501. As it turns out, 32819-E9810 the S12 (CA engines) and the D21 71C (Z24i and KA) that I mentioned use this revised number.

E9501

E9800

E9810 are the 'fork-shift, reverse and overdrive' so yeah good to go.

How much?? I get $87.59 but this is old info and may be Canadian dollars.

This where I found it... $72....

https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=32819E9800

• Like 1