A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was definitely damage to the old synchro.... so it must have been getting hung up on the flat spots.... 

Tried to take some pictures.... 

But I'm not sure how good they show it....

Old one is on the left and the 3rd picture.....

20210724_124328.jpg

20210724_124343.jpg

20210724_124353.jpg

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

Well this was a dumb ass move..... 

I managed to lock myself out of the garage.... I just got home and put the datsun away and I locked the door without grabbing the keys....

Not a problem except everyone else wasn't home and the house was locked up too ..... 

So fuck it I broke the lock, got my keys and got in my house.... only to realize the back window was open and the latches dont work on the screen, so I could have easily climbed in and gotten my spare keys.... now I have to fix my garage door.... oh well.....

20210724_162801.jpg

• Like 1

I reassembled everything except for 1 bearing just incase....

Put the tailhousing on and did a few shifts and so far it does seem to shift better..... every time it goes in gear like it should...

So I'm moving forward and finish assembling the transmission....

I'll have the transmission done soon and ready to go back in....

Tonight or tomorrow I'll start pull the 4spd out.....

20210724_172814.jpg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I was gonna say the same thing. More secure too.

Its not really an issue where I live but it did make me realize how easy I can get in.....

I really want to do a roll up door but thats not happening anytime soon....

I did a half ass repair for now....

Probably going to buy something a bit stronger and redo the lock setup...

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

There was definitely damage to the old synchro.... so it must have been getting hung up on the flat spots.... 

Tried to take some pictures.... 

But I'm not sure how good they show it....

Old one is on the left and the 3rd picture.....

20210724_124328.jpg

20210724_124343.jpg

20210724_124353.jpg

The real work is done by the tapered cone on the inside of the synchro. Those teeth help just a tiny bit.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The real work is done by the tapered cone on the inside of the synchro. Those teeth help just a tiny bit.

That tapered cone should be polished smooth. Too late I guess.

• Like 3

Well if it the same part I'm thinking it was smooth..... and yes definitely to late now....

I was able to remove the 4spd and get the 5spd bolted up to the engine today....

Still have everything else around it to reattach but that shouldn't take long.....

• Like 2

I think I'm about 95% done....

I believe back half of the driveshaft and shifter are all that's left....

Ran out of time today....

Should be able to finish up tomorrow.... that gives me a couple days to drive it and make sure all is good before our trip this weekend...

• Like 1

I did a clutch on my 510 race car in 20 minutes once. I was on pre-grid for a race and noticed that the clutch was shot. Pulled into the shop, dropped the trans with one hand holding it (510 4 speeds are very light), replaced the disc and re-installed the trans, and made it back to pre-grid before the race.

You should be able to install the driveshaft in a day.

The nice thing about transmissions is that there's no break-in. If it works on the first drive, you're done. Unless something catastrophic happens...

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I did a clutch on my 510 race car in 20 minutes once. I was on pre-grid for a race and noticed that the clutch was shot. Pulled into the shop, dropped the trans with one hand holding it (510 4 speeds are very light), replaced the disc and re-installed the trans, and made it back to pre-grid before the race.

You should be able to install the driveshaft in a day.

The nice thing about transmissions is that there's no break-in. If it works on the first drive, you're done. Unless something catastrophic happens...

I would have been done last night but had things to do with the family....

I couldn't believe how much heavier the 5spd felt compared to the 4...

I struggled some to get it up and back far enough to clear the clutch.... had help the last time....

Evey time I'd lift the bellhousing the whole transmission would slide forward....

I used a  ratchet tie down to hold it up and a jack under the bellhousing..... eventually got it...

That crossmember is some much fun to have in the way.....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The strap is a good idea.

It's nice when it finally clunks into the clutch and onto the back of the block. That's when you know it's home.

Pfft. I've had 3 pilot bushings compress so much during press that the input shaft wouldn't slide home. One was from the clutch kit, and the other 2 were factory Nissan. That was a lot of fun.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Pfft. I've had 3 pilot bushings compress so much during press that the input shaft wouldn't slide home. One was from the clutch kit, and the other 2 were factory Nissan. That was a lot of fun.

Well I might be the only fool who has a nismo pilot bearing instead of the brass.... fits perfect, never had that problem..... 

Just got home from a test drive and I'm beyond excited.....

Transmission shifter flawlessly, it's never gone so smooth in to 5th as it does now..... I was also able to get up on the highway doing 70 without any driveline vibration too... 

I think I'll be good for this weekend's trip.....

• Like 5

Congrats man!  Just be sure to put all the extra parts in the glove box in case you need them later.  I have a stainless steel glove box insert just for that reason.  The card board glove box could not hold up to the weight of all the parts I did not know where they went so they live in the glove box just in case.

• Like 2