old trucks are DIRTY

So I flew down to the LBC last week and spent a week clearing out my dad's garage. We finally started on the truck this morning, and now the engine is resting on its mount. Pics to come in a project thread.

With the engine out, I want to clean it before I open it up (yes it's sad -- I read manuals), but I've never done it before. All of your project threads show sparkly clean engines and engine bays, but they must have looked like mine at some point. What degreaser do I start with? How do you get to those tiny crevices with it? An overall strategy is what I need. Any sage advice is welcome. I never know if everyone thinks my questions are stupid, but I have to start somewhere...

Y'all thought I meant old trucks are NASTY huh. Sick fucks ;)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you obviously didn't look at my engine pics. my truck is gross. teh friewall is black, the block is so caked in grease and oil it wont rust anytime soon, and i get greasy even OPENING the hood.

what i have used with good results is Foamy Engine Bright and Oil Eater. i also used a fairly stiff brush, a toothbrush, and toothpics. it really depends on HOW clean you want it. clean enough to work on, or clean enough to eat off of. it will also take time to clean it enough to eat off of, so make sure you dont rush it. rush and you miss things.

oh and the only stupid questions, are the ones NOT asked.

Thanks for the encouragement, I guess I've just been a part of lot of other online communities where everyone is a flaming asshole. You guys rock! :thumbsup:

The other part of cleaning besides grease is the copious amounts of corrosion. Brake lines, aluminum housings, surface rust on the frame... I'm thinking of using a dremel with a wire brush, should I get a grinder?? Are there solvents?

normally if i open up an engine, ill go as far as getting the block hot-tanked because not only does it clean the outside real good, it cleans the inside as well. ive tried a wire brush on a dremel on my brake lines before and worked real good but went through the brushes really fast. after the paint is clean in the engine bay, a mothers powerball with buffing compound works great on bringing back the shine in all the little cracks.

I've been using ZEP HD citrus degreaser - 6$ - from home depot,that sht works great. soon as you put it on the area your working on, scrub it and keep putting more on as you scrub then wash it off soon as you stop. or use simple green super strength, I hear that also works great. remember to read the instuction before use. good luck

• 5 weeks later...

I use purple power usually, although that stuff is nastyu when it gets on your hands. I've used simple green to clean ge turbines, and it works good also, doesnt seem to mess your ahnds up like the purple power, but pp, and some water and a brush and you will do good.

Dont let the pp stay on too long, otherwise it can tend to take paint away.