Betty White: The new 280Z racecar. Ugly Betty's autocross replacement.

HRH

Are you trying these things one at a time or just changing a bunch of shit at once at then it still doesn't work?

If what you're saying g is correct it sounds like that module is bad. Is there any way to test if there is anything coming from it?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I've been testing different things methodically.  So far the last remaining thing is that igniter, which being it's a CAS instead of the regular dizzy, that igniter is an ignition amplifier according to the '81 turbo manual ('83 system is different but same type of amplifier.)  No test option in the '81 manual that I can see.  I'd like to find an '83 turbo fsm so I could confirm certain things.  Skib got me a diagram which has a lot of it, but near as I can tell, I finally have things hooked up correctly.

Thinking I'll probably be dropping some cash on that ignition amplifier, reluctantly.  Pisses me off I can't test it.  I would put up some pictures, but I'm kinda tired from the day.  Just done lots of staring at wiring diagrams and double checking stuff, as well as trying a few ideas that didn't pan out.

The system seems to work just fine, just no spark.  Last piece of the system (which was wired backwards initially) is that igniter.  I sure as shit hope I fried it, otherwise this is going to be an expensive lesson.  And if it still doesn't work, I'm abandoning the factory wiring and ecu and going custom.  Or strapping an SU carb on it.

Ok, well rockauto had it, but then they cancelled saying they didn't have it.  Sonofabitch.  Nissan doesn't have it.  Motion doesn't have it.  Autozone doesn't have it.  We don't have it.  The only person remaining is fucking O'Reillys and I really really don't want to order it from them!  Fuck!! :angry:  Anyone have a spare one of those they would sell me?

Well I feel like a traitor.  I supported the evil green assholes.  Unfortunately, the only other option after Rockauto cancelled my part due to no availability was one on Amazon that shipped in 1-3 months.  Helpful, right?  And the other was a used module from a wrecking yard, which, while may have worked just fine, was only 30 bucks less and is still 30+ years old.  So I opted for the online option from the only remaining vendor, which was...yeah...  For those of you who give a shit about your work, you know how hard it is to support the enemy.  And they are just that, unless you like monkeys pushing buttons at your local parts store.  Don't get me started on my soapbox.

Anyway, the other options are the Z31 ECU and harness upgrade.  I have some options here, but that requires re-wiring everything and while not super hard, I'd rather just make what I have work and maybe I'll be able to get the car ready for autocross.  We shall see, module should be here Thursday/Friday, in time for the weekend.  Sure as shit hope it works.  Otherwise I'll be a very sad panda.

I don't see it going into the main harness, just comes out of the other one along the fender.  If it goes to the tach, it ends there so the tach can function.  But this thread makes me wonder with the MSD stuff:

http://www.zdriver.com/forums/280zx-performance-technical-79/msd-ignition-13365/

Here's another one.  It does mention specifically the MSD though.  But I wonder if I do need to hook up that 2.2kohm resistor to the tach.

http://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/54828-msd-my-78-won-t-start.html

No, I know exactly where it goes, it's the tach wire. The tach I have doesn't need the 2.2 kohm resistor. Module came today, as soon as I'm off I'll race home and install.

• Like 1

SHE RUNS!!!!!  :D

Have I mentioned I'm so completely happy right now?!  I would do a video, however, upon running for a bit, it was noticed that the heater core they had mounted in the passenger seat has likely been frozen and broken because it pisses water like a big dog.  And there seems to be a fuel leak from one of the fuel lines.  I'm thinking it may be the one I unioned together.  So, I may yank out and fix that entire section this weekend.  I may just run a new line.  We shall see.

Either way, I don't care.  I diagnosed it correctly, which renews my faith in my diagnostic skills, and she fired right up upon installation of the new module!  And next time I'll know not to screw up the wires and blow that shit out!

• Like 7