Betty White: The new 280Z racecar. Ugly Betty's autocross replacement.

HRH

As I suspected, the O2 did nothing.  I ended up hooking up the idle solenoids and re routing it and the vacuum sources to replicate the original system.  Left out the charcoal canister, as it's only emissions and has nothing else to do with the vacuum system as far as I can tell.  I suspect this may solve the issue since the VCM controls both the EGR and AAC valves.  Technically it's only for idle, but what happens when you dump the throttle after WOT?  Yep, idle.

I would have tested it earlier but had a prior engagement for mom's birthday, then a work function thing tonight.  I'd go do it now, but it's 10 o' clock and revving the race car around right now is kind of dick to the neighbors, so I'll wait until tomorrow after hiking probably.  I'll let you all know.

• Like 1
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, so I'm annoyed.  It doesn't seem to matter what I do, I can't get this goddamn thing to do what I want it to do.  Runs pig fucking rich.  Tried hooking up the air solenoid, indeed it seems to be only for idle.  Idled higher, still too rich.  Debated hooking up the charcoal canister even, but don't really want that fuel soaked mess sitting in the engine bay, especially with no auxiliary return line to the fuel tank.  Went to the AFM, began carefully adjusting the trigger wheel, went two points either way.  I know from messing with Ugly Betty it works.  However, it will make a change for a minute, and then just go back to full rich pretty much.  If I hold it at 3000 rpm, it'll miss due to richness.

I'm beginning to see why no one who has transplanted one of these in another car has been happy with it.  It seem that original excessively vacuum controlled system is just too complex, yet too dumb to work well without all it's original crap.

So what I have now is a car that accelerates well and runs richer than snot, so much so that it fouls spark plugs.  And it smells bad.  Not good racecar smell.  Hell, the 200sx system I hooked up on the 510 worked damn near perfectly, but it also didn't have a turbo on it.

I don't know.  I'm regrouping for the night while smelling like exhaust, something I loathe.  Especially because it's the smell of failure.  Akin to the diesel dipshits who think black smoke is power.  No, it's just unburnt fuel.  Wasted power.  I did get the megasquirt ECU for the truck.  If I can figure out what I need to put in it, perhaps I'll go yank a VG harness or some other 6 cylinder from the wrecking yard and make it work for that.

All I know is I need a better plan to fix this thing.  I'm really getting tired of working on it.  I just want to drive it fast.  That's it.

• Like 1

Investigating options now.  SDS or MS.  I have the MS for the hardbody, but it's the kit to assemble and quite frankly, I haven't figured that part out yet.  SDS is attractive because it's just a few things and all the software and whatnot is embedded.  One of the guys I know at autocross has two cars on it, he's quite fond of the system.

• Like 1

Black smoke in a deisel can mean power, I depends on the reason for the extra fuel. A lot of tuners dump the extra fuel to lower egt's because most idiots don't know how to do it the right way.

It sounds like a stand alone will be the best bet, unless you put it back to completely stock it probably won't work, and even then it still might not.

Yeah, I'm trying one more thing.  Getting a good fuel pressure regulator.  Not the cheap $30 ones I've been getting.  Got an actual aeromotive good quality from Summit.  I don't know what pressure the fuel is at now, it's just on the stock fpr.  And considering I'll need one anyway for an aftermarket system, I'll try this first.  Perhaps the shorter line or whatnot is causing excessive pressure, or even the stock fpr is bad and over pressurizing.  Since I haven't put a gauge on it, I don't know.  That's about the last thing of "tuneability" in the stock system.  I'll try that before I give up entirely.

We shall see.

New, believe I ohmed that connector and it was good.  On a sadder note, Summit fucked me.  I ordered a FPR.  Got the kit today, came with a three outlet FPR, which was okay, I can block off one side I think.  But the gauge was supposed to be 30-70 psi, I got sent a 0-15 psi gauge.  So that makes me wonder if the FPR is for EFI or not.  I don't know whether or not they're different.  Pissing me off right now, but Summit is usually quite good with customer service so I'll cut them a break and call them tomorrow if I get a chance to try and get it figured out.  Oh well, I have yard work to do this weekend anyway.

You already got me some!!  Thanks!!   :D  I put it on the back hatch on the top.  I got two from the Flatcat BBQ I think.  Now I can't remember who gave them to me, but I think they were from you.  

Was thinking some bigger sponsorish type stickers ;)

• Like 3
  • 3 years later...

Just to finish this, I'll leave this here.  Motec screwdriver ecu, car runs pretty well.  Need to do some more stuff to her, but alive after only 4 years hiatus.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Couldn't hear it after 5 tries to shut the tin can door. Matt you scared the shit out of me in the 'Blue Betty"? Flatcats life flashed before my eyes that day at Canby.

I'm going to be putting a passenger seat in it after I get all the peripherals sorted.  Next time you're in Spokane after this coronavirus mess, you should get a ride. 😉  It's a bit faster than Ugly Betty.  And potential for easily more hp with moderate fiddling.  It is rather loud inside, but oh well.  On the run the other day I had a group of walkers I had blasted pass waving their arms in a circle, wanting more when I came back around. 😄  It was awesome.  I obliged them 2nd and 3rd gear.

• Haha 1

Ugly Betty!!! Wow I was just about to open my mouth and say slow down when you let off and I was saved from that embarrassment! Betty was pretty fast and I really liked the song she was singing.

I had a lot of plans for this year, (sigh) may have to put off retirement. See how it goes, haven't seen my grand kids in Calgary since two summers ago. That was just before Len passed away.

• Sad 1