Betty White: The new 280Z racecar. Ugly Betty's autocross replacement.

HRH

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Racing is next weekend. I'm going to start at it hard on Saturday and try and get her ready.

Q, you can't believe I broke it, cmon, I can break anything!! ;)

• Like 1

Can't believe you fried that original module.....

Mine burnt out when I stopped at a stop light. I was like wtf..? 

Here is proof. See terminal lead soldered to the inside prong. Well... that is, where it was once soldered. I repaired it.

20150808_220659_zpssbmyfzlb.jpg

• Like 1

Sweet!  Today is going well!  Have the fuel leaks fixed, bypassed the heater core.  Found out the MSR unit (very nice expensive unit) had a complete blowout on one of the bottom tubes where it bends to go back into the unit.  Little 1/4" flap blew out of the copper tubing, rather odd fail.  Anyway, removed it for now, will probably put in a different (cheaper) heater core later and then run the ducts to the windshield again.

They had windshield fogging issues in Portland during one of the races, hence the heater core install to keep the windshield from fogging over.

• Like 1

Thanks!  Today is exhaust raising, need to shorten the down pipe by a bit, car is low, and right now the turndown after the manifold is lower than the transmission, so need to fix that.  Need to wire new gauges or hook up the old ones that are there if I have the right fittings.  And I need to put the oil cooler on.  And then front brakes and possibly rear diff swap.  We shall see.

If it's an R200, I wonder how easy it would be to get rid of the extension shaft on a D21 4x4 front diff and use that in the rear for more aggressive gearing?

• Like 1

Spent all day working on the exhaust.  Have I mentioned exhaust is more annoying when you have to creeper under the car with very little room and yank the exhaust out a section at a time to weld, then re-install to check fitment, etc.?  And Mohammed stopped by (big thanks!) to help and unfortunately we then found out the gauge for the oil pressure needs a 1/8 pipe to an fitting or JIC, not sure.  Anyway, then the theromstat housing won't accept the large sending unit for coolant that most gauges supply, so I'll need to drill out or modify the current one, or use another I have that will accept it.  

Mohammed confirmed no shavings or big pieces of block in the oil cooler so we went about hooking that up.  Then I cut a hose too short.  Not in enough time to get more 5/8 multi-duty hose.  Which NAPA has, and O Reillys is useless as tits on a boar, in case you were wondering.

So all in all, I have the exhaust mostly done.  Need to make a skid plate for the muffler and cut and reweld the outlet pipe as it angles down too far and touches the ground.  However, the whole car needs to be raised.  It currently sits about 2" off the ground.  Fine for a track car, not so fine for autocross and bumpy pavement.  I did shorten the downpipe by 2" so it's even with the oil pan at least.

Not the most productive day and racing is this coming weekend!  Bah.  Might see if I can't get it finished for Saturday, or perhaps I'll just race Ugly Betty again.  Depends on how easily the gauges go, then the exhaust remnants, the seatbelt install, then brake pads in front, then tire fitment. Remind me again why I have race cars? :)

• Like 1

There is one on the back hatch!  :)  The oil pressure gauge has a nice stainless braided line.  That's what clued my in to the oil line.  I have an 1/8 npt - 4 adapter now that should work great for that.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I am happy to announce a piece of Eleanor is now on the turbo motor.  (Eleanor of course being the old 510)  The thermostat housing happened to have the 16 mm threading for the fan switch I installed, which now houses a mechanical temperature gauge, which works.  The oil pressure gauge works now after my 1/8 npt to -4 adapter, and the oil cooler is hooked up.  Added some more oil since the oil cooler adds quite a bit of capacity.

Have brakes, seat belts, and a few other issues.  And skid plates.  This thing is WAY too low.  I'd rather not knock off the muffler and/or oil pan on the way up to autocross.  I need to get a trailer.

Well I got home at about 8 something tonight, didn't work on her.  Going to bed right about now.  I'm probably screwed for working Saturday due to lack of a driver, so that's going to suck.  Going racing Sunday, so at least there's that.  It'll be a short day on Saturday, I'll probably cut out about 3 or so.  Although I just thought about another option for that.  Anyway, I'll be lucky if I get the thing up to autocross without a few niggling issues.  I haven't even gotten the motor full warm yet to see how she's doing.  I'll work on seatbelts and exhaust and skidplates and brakes Saturday night, possibly tomorrow night.  We'll see.

Yeah, I think I have a couple extra go-pro mounts.  Rose just left for autocross, going to eat some breakfast then finish up the last little projects on the z.