Betty White: The new 280Z racecar. Ugly Betty's autocross replacement.

HRH

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not that!  :)  Actually had quite a good day.  Rose assisted with tools and helping clean the car and the tools/garage, and then we separated Mike's asian tranny and I told her how he liked those kinds.  There will be some pictures up shortly. ;)

• Like 1

IMG_7886_zps2yanwwa8.jpg

These are some of the fragments left over from the exploded engine.  Found them on the framerail when I was fixing the fuel lines.

IMG_7887_zps6q5niz25.jpg

This is Rose.  She drives a rotary. ;)  (No dirty comments!)

IMG_7889_zpstc4xiq4x.jpg

This is the line that caused all my grief.  Finally got it rearranged today and it looks nice and clean like it's supposed to.  Had to cut one line a little more than I wanted.  May end up doing a short section of metal and two little snips of rubber line, or I'll add a small section onto the end.  The short line had a kink in it slightly and when I straightened it out, it made some micro-tears it seems.  So I opted to shorten it past those.

IMG_7892_zpshgzpc1pm.jpg

IMG_7893_zpsjlkaypgd.jpg

IMG_7895_zpsbmhbpht7.jpg

IMG_7894_zpsz3ngim9t.jpg

IMG_7896_zpssxuubjzm.jpg

Menagerie of dogs in the kitchen!

IMG_7898_zpscd1roxpv.jpg

IMG_7900_zpspoofod2u.jpg

IMG_7901_zpszfultzav.jpg

Sorry Mike, you're getting sloppy seconds.  I had my way with the asian tranny!!  :D

IMG_7902_zpsicdelm1g.jpg

After I got the torque converter off, I noticed this.  See anything out of the ordinary?

IMG_7903_zpsd29jnjv8.jpg

I've never seen an L motor spit a rear main like this.  What's even weirder was it was leaking, but not a ton.  Dumb luck I guess.

IMG_7904_zps63giicpw.jpg

Motor is awaiting oil-leak repair tomorrow.

IMG_7906_zps2tyndttw.jpg

Back in the garage!  And clean!  Still need to clean out the engine bay, lots of leftover engine bits on the framerail.  But the car is ready to accept a motor now.

IMG_7907_zpsu7gmaecx.jpg

Mike's 3 speed non-OD asian tranny he for some reason wants.  Even saved the lines for you!  

• Like 1

So I talked to the Datsun guru this morning, he said excess crankcase pressure is the only way that would have happened.  So I'm thinking when the car was sputtering and spitting trying to figure out the cold start issue, I'll bet that's what did it.  All the vents are recirculated for turbo control on that motor, so makes sense if it couldn't find an outlet, it would pressurize the crankcase.  Anyway, I'll start going through everything today and see if I can figure out what was causing that.  Maybe a stuck vacuum can or something.

IMG_7908_zpswzjzh5sw.jpg

IMG_7909_zpsemijutqk.jpg

This is the filter base I'm planning on using, however, I realized something else.  The oil cooler currently on the car may well be contaminated since the block grenaded.  I could back flush it to see how much crap is in there, but the other idea is to use the original oil cooler (which means making more custom mounts, etc.) and just retrofit the JIC fittings and make some custom lines.  Haven't figured which way yet, we'll see when I examine the remote oil filter housing and filter for particulates.

IMG_7910_zpsufp3m2dc.jpg

IMG_7911_zpskfwt8w3a.jpg

IMG_7912_zpsstamsp3d.jpg

I should have cleaned this off, but I didn't. Thus didn't realize the inlet for the forward oil line is also a screw that attaches the filter base to the block.  I ended up removing the locating bolt then tapping the housing with a hammer and block of wood, which of course worked, but I also had to remove the two sensors to spin it off.  Could have just pulled it straight off had I realized.  Oh well.  End result is the same, so no worries.

IMG_7916_zpsbnviwepr.jpg

Check out the multiple strengtheners along the oil pan!

IMG_7914_zpsukmejcet.jpg

Pan with turbo oil feed.

IMG_7915_zpshn38ufls.jpg

IMG_7917_zpspdtdz98f.jpg

Inside of the block looks pretty good.

• Like 1

Yeah, now I'm just debating carbed turbo vs. stock system vs. Megasquirt or similar.  Carbed turbo gets rid of so much crap in the way.  Once you get the tuning right, works just fine, especially for racing.  Plus I can omit a giant mess of wiring.

Just ordered "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.  I've heard that title enough times, never read the book.  Now is about the time, just like the Datsun Bible I think.

Just ordered "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.  

GREAT READ!!!  I finished that one and started "How to make your car handle" by Fred Puhn.

Input shaft or output shaft?

I would think input sinse its typically a 24 tooth shaft.

Yeah, now I'm just debating carbed turbo vs. stock system vs. Megasquirt or similar.  Carbed turbo gets rid of so much crap in the way.  Once you get the tuning right, works just fine, especially for racing.  Plus I can omit a giant mess of wiring.

Just ordered "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.  I've heard that title enough times, never read the book.  Now is about the time, just like the Datsun Bible I think.

Very good book, Iv owned a copy for quite a few years.

IMO carb turbos are fun for nostalgia cool but if your racing and

a particular rule set dosent restrict you to carbs its not practical.

The EFI, even the stock stuff will be more on the ball and reliable.

The wiring can be cleaned up and theres plenty of stuff on the stock L28et that dosent need to be there for racing.

Yeah, I just worry about the idle stuff since the computer is self learning for that.  Not to mention it was still running crappy when cold, couldn't figure that out entirely.  I'll do some book learning and see what I think.  I know of many people back in the day who did carb turbos and had great results.  But, that will also dictate what manifold I use and what kind of setup I need to make.  So, I'll come to a conclusion after I read the book.

So this is the 280zx.  It appears to be 24 spline by my count.

280zxsplines_zps1l05k12n.jpg

720splines_zps1kcnewzy.jpg

Oddly, I had a 720 driveshaft laying around, I think from a '80 one year truck with a L20B in it.  It only has 22 splines.  Odd, no?  I thought they had 24 too?  Maybe I'm just mis-remembering.

pullupsme2016_zps7zt2rpmi.jpg

GET SOME!!!  :D  I work out.

280zxsplines_zps1l05k12n.jpg

If you count a spline in the two gaps you get 26. All my driveshafts are 24 (counting the two missing ones) as shown.

Do you have the Auto driveshaft? Can I have it or the front spline part? Hoping the U joints are the same and I can just swap the spline part. I was afraid of this.

Lol, normal Peter? I don't know about that, but I can fake it!

Mike, yeah you can have the drive shaft too, that one is what came out of the zx. I don't think the rear is any different, should bolt up. Worst case you'd have to drill the rear flange.

• Like 1

Yep, that should be going away this weekend.  It's a great idea, but I hate it.  When I want to workout, the last thing I want to do is hook cables to different things, etc. etc.  I like basic things, like doing pull ups while holding free weights, etc.  One of my other NAPA guys is getting it.  That will make room for an additional treadmill for the girlfriend. ;)

Mike, I'll check when I get a chance for the clips.