Accidentally overfilled tank, week and a half later, still insanely strong gas smell?

Kytoaster

Well, I was getting no real odors or anything, and went to fill up with gas. When I did, I accidentally overfilled, and a little gas shot out of the filler neck. 

Since then....there's been an OVERWHELMING smell of gas fumes?

I washed the truck off, and it looks like any hoses under the filler neck are still attached...it just smells like gas....reeeally bad, and I can't figure it out?

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Datsun or Suzuki? Truck= Suzuki?  You can edit your title by selecting EDIT then FULL EDITOR at bottom of every post. The tank on a 610 is above the rear axle and goons are under the cargo space and behind the axle. A Suzuki forum might know.

• Like 1

I was talking about my 620, sorry. 

I had to replace the filler neck as it was dryrotted/cracked badly, but once I did that I had no gas smell. 

Once I filled up with gas and accidentally overfilled it, the gas fume smell is just constant?

I also swapped to a weber carb, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it? I didn't notice the smell until I accidentally overfilled?

• Like 1

Your 620 is over 40 years old.  There are probably several hoses connected to the gas tank, and the evaporative emission system, and any one, or more, of then could be bad.

On a 521, there is a 5/8 or so diameter hose that goes from the top of the filler neck to theopposite end of the gas tank, from where the filler hose drops in to the tank.  i have seen that hose jusat crack from old age. 

It would be a good idea to replace all the fuel system hoses on any vehicle that old.  Remember, in the 1970's they did not plan onalcohol being mixed with gasoline.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I checked all the hoses, and they are actually in decent shape. The gas cap still has (what appears to be) rubber gasket on it. It only happens when I fill COMPLETELY up. 

Put $10 in last week, put the cap on and went on my way.  Filled completely up today, and it smells like there is a cup of gasoline sitting in the bed of my truck.

No leaks, but it's definitely coming from around the gas cap/vapor tank area. I wonder if by completely filling up with gas, I'm somehow getting some in the vapor tank, and it's just sitting there?

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

You say you just installed a Weber carb.........

I had this same issue after I installed a Weber too. I

Somehow I over looked that I left thw fuel return line wide open and uncapped. Every time I filled up, gas would literally pour out everywhere from under the hood, passenger side, near frame rail / fuel filter area. Simply capped it, allok now

• Like 1

I had the same issue with my 77 620. Strong fuel smell even with the back slider shut. Pulled my tank and the return line was badly dry rotted. I replaced all hoses and hose clamps. No more problems. Also have a 720 4x4 that just jerked you out of your seat upon acceleration. Found that the feed line going to the fuel pump was dry rotted just enough to lose fuel pressure. Any Datsun I have had I always end up pulling the tank! :)

• Like 1

I had the same issue with my 77 620. Strong fuel smell even with the back slider shut. Pulled my tank and the return line was badly dry rotted. I replaced all hoses and hose clamps. No more problems. Also have a 720 4x4 that just jerked you out of your seat upon acceleration. Found that the feed line going to the fuel pump was dry rotted just enough to lose fuel pressure. Any Datsun I have had I always end up pulling the tank! :)

I'm really just considering replacing all of the fuel hoses under the truck, the smell is SO strong.