Datsun "Indy car" Special....with photos!!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend if mine actually works on vintage racecars, such as the era of indy car you're building, they have one from about that time that is called the death car, it killed something like 3 people, you can see the repairs in the chassis where each guy died or was horribly injured. That said, cool build man, look forward to seeing how it turns out.

I can't remember which state I heard is pretty strict about that, a guy I knew with a Jeep got a ticket for having his wheels 4 inches past the fender. Just looked through the Oregon laws and from what I gather they could really care less about what you do to your passenger car, but everything over 8,000lbs has to have fenders.

That would be Washington, lots of weird rules about that kind of thing.

no more than 2 inches past fenders, need mudflaps if I think 1/2 of tire is exposed (all trucks) and I think we aren't allowed to have exposed tires at all. Never looked into that.

Also I think the bottom of the bumper can only be 48 (?) Inches off the ground. I know there's a limit just can't remember what it is

no more than 2 inches past fenders, need mudflaps if I think 1/2 of tire is exposed (all trucks) and I think we aren't allowed to have exposed tires at all. Never looked into that.

Also I think the bottom of the bumper can only be 48 (?) Inches off the ground. I know there's a limit just can't remember what it is

Unfortunately, the only limit we have like that here is that your headlights can't be more than 60" off the ground. Which just means all the monster trucks around here have auxiliary headlights on the front bumper.   :rofl:

Yep....cost a pretty penny to get the 6" of tire covered on my Jeep. Would love to be able to run without them at all. But the Toyo MT's toss sooooo many rocks.

And for sure hoping you get the money sorted. Id love to see this build continue. Thanks a bunch for sharing!

In Washington there is no lift restrictions but the bumper and head lights have a limit. Tires also must be inside of fenders or flares. Kind of like you aren't required to have a windsheild but are required to have windsheild wipers.

ONLY ,, on newer cars. My old 55 had no bumpers,, and i have driven by more than a few local and Staters with at no fenders on rear, when i first put it together,,  and they have relaxed the rules considerably since then....... There is just to many exceptions to bother pulling you over..

.  There is a guy local here that drives a super modified (engine hanging out the side and shit) ,, another that drives a winged sprint car and yet another drives one of the old late 70s  "jalopy" race cars ,, with what look like dirt track tires,, i see them all the time at the store down the road...  Headlights, at least one brake light ,, and a license plate,, and you're good to go..  

Now,,  if you even smell of asshat,,,,,,,,,, you're gonna pay  my friend

ONLY ,, on newer cars. My old 55 had no bumpers,, and i have driven by more than a few local and Staters with at no fenders on rear, when i first put it together,, and they have relaxed the rules considerably since then....... There is just to many exceptions to bother pulling you over..

. There is a guy local here that drives a super modified (engine hanging out the side and shit) ,, another that drives a winged sprint car and yet another drives one of the old late 70s "jalopy" race cars ,, with what look like dirt track tires,, i see them all the time at the store down the road... Headlights, at least one brake light ,, and a license plate,, and you're good to go..

Now,, if you even smell of asshat,,,,,,,,,, you're gonna pay my friend

that's dowm there though, you can get away with a lot more there than here
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool Project...

Doesn't Indiana require a annual safety check? Are you exempt for a 'one-off' vehicle?

Just as an idea for making body components, that is cheap and easy, at least for smaller parts... try what I did.

• Form hardware cloth into the shape you need
  • Stitch fiberglass cloth, using needle and thread, to the wire form (this keeps the cloth from unraveling when you brush the resin on)
  • Saturate the cloth with fiberglass resin
  • Roughly shape the hardened form
  • Bondo and smooth
  • Primer and paint

You can make complex shapes with the above.  They won't be particularly light, but you don't need super metal forming skillz either. :)

I made the rear cowling on the bike below using this method. The lights are 'frenched' in using mushroom cans that were hot-glued in place, then fiberglassed.

IMG_20120816_181012_zpsgzgyjmed.jpg

Cool Project...

Doesn't Indiana require a annual safety check? Are you exempt for a 'one-off' vehicle?

Just as an idea for making body components, that is cheap and easy, at least for smaller parts... try what I did.

• Form hardware cloth into the shape you need
  • Stitch fiberglass cloth, using needle and thread, to the wire form (this keeps the cloth from unraveling when you brush the resin on)
  • Saturate the cloth with fiberglass resin
  • Roughly shape the hardened form
  • Bondo and smooth
  • Primer and paint

You can make complex shapes with the above.  They won't be particularly light, but you don't need super metal forming skillz either. :)

I made the rear cowling on the bike below using this method. The lights are 'frenched' in using mushroom cans that were hot-glued in place, then fiberglassed.

IMG_20120816_181012_zpsgzgyjmed.jpg

Thanks,

Yeah.I.may.do.something.like.that.for.the.tail,but.want.the.other.panels.made,out.of.metal.or.metal/wood.core.laminate.

Indiana.hasn't.had.passenger.car.inspections.for.a.long.time.now.

There.are.rules.for.one-offs.and.to.get.a.title.

Once.they.check/inspect.it.they.issue.a.title.I.think.

Mine.is.just.a.modified.umm...truck.