3D printerama or why I need to stop cluttering up other threads

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good use for a gun lock

Exactly, it's the crappy lock that came with the Mauser I bought like 10 years ago. Commifornia requires all guns sold come with a lock, so they usually come with the cheapest locks you can find.

Exactly, it's the crappy lock that came with the Mauser I bought like 10 years ago. Commifornia requires all guns sold come with a lock, so they usually come with the cheapest locks you can find.

I think thats fedral with new pistols, maybe even everything you buy new.

mossberg i bought last year or the year before came with it too

So did my saiga, I think they come with all new firearms.

Makes sense, all of my handguns have come with manufacturer ones. I only knew Cali had a specific law for it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Yeah, but it wouldn't matter if that piece were hard if the pipe were flexible. assuming it's the correct size etc, it's a genius retrofit that only requires an easily obtainable 2" diameter piece of duct hose to connect to the original defroster vents.

Why would it be a pain to print? I don't know much about 3d printing. I would have thought if a printer was big enough to print a thing, you could print it just by pushing go once the model was built. how does it work in reality?

• Like 2

Yeah, but it wouldn't matter if that piece were hard if the pipe were flexible. assuming it's the correct size etc, it's a genius retrofit that only requires an easily obtainable 2" diameter piece of duct hose to connect to the original defroster vents.

Why would it be a pain to print? I don't know much about 3d printing. I would have thought if a printer was big enough to print a thing, you could print it just by pushing go once the model was built. how does it work in reality?

For the hobbyist level stuff there is still quite a lot of finicky things required to get good prints, for small simple stuff it is not to far off from print and go, big or complex prints are a different story.

There are some part shapes that just are difficult, anything with overhangs requires support usually or some careful planning on orientation etc... Also, those need to be made out of abs but are big and hollow. They don't need to be kept to tight tolerance or resolution so that is a plus. But you probably need at least a raft or they will likely come off the print bed, as the contact area is small. Big abs prints without a good footprint and with overhangs take a long time to print and tend to have a high failure rate, and will likely need some post processing cleanup.

• Like 1

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

So in theory, if you were to add a panel to the bottom of the shape, would that resolve the footprint issues? Make it maybe a popout plate like the stock radio filler panel?

Make the base extend all the way out as far as the overhang, then add vertical sprues from that extended base plate up to the overhang. Where would be the best place for sprues? Halfway up the overhang? Out toward the edge of the overhang? Both?

I realize that these would require post printing finish work to remove them competely, but perhaps they could be designed to snap off relatively easily?

Would these ideas work, or are they unusable or based on misunderstanding the issues and equipment?

• Like 1

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

So in theory, if you were to add a panel to the bottom of the shape, would that resolve the footprint issues? Make it maybe a popout plate like the stock radio filler panel?

Make the base extend all the way out as far as the overhang, then add vertical sprues from that extended base plate up to the overhang. Where would be the best place for sprues? Halfway up the overhang? Out toward the edge of the overhang? Both?

I realize that these would require post printing finish work to remove them competely, but perhaps they could be designed to snap off relatively easily?

Would these ideas work, or are they unusable or based on misunderstanding the issues and equipment?

Without getting into the details the print programs do what you're describing if setup properly. They can add the supports to the model as easy snap off versions in the places needed, and the raft is the name for the panel at the bottom.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if anyone would be interested in this, but I just posted to GrabCad a .STL file for a 240z map light bezel. I modeled this last year when I had my 240z and never got around to posting it up. There are pictures as well on the page:

https://grabcad.com/library/240z-map-light-bezel-1

I do not have any pictures of it installed unfortunately. If anyone prints it out and installs it, post up some pics!

large.JPG

• Like 1