• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After watching me spend a day making little stainless steel buckets to "french" the taillights in, German says to me, "No, that looks no good.  This is better." and holds up the rubber-donut mounted lights Datsunfreak showed y'all a few posts up.  I flippantly said, "Sure, if you want to make those fit, I'll run them."  He said, "Ok." and walked off.  I thought nothing more of it.  This morning I was surprised to find taillights installed in my van!  He apparently stayed "late" after I left and trimmed the holes to make them fit.  I wired them up and, I think, I am ready to test all the wiring and can finally "gussy up" the harness.  So, with my plans for taillight installation thwarted, I decided to "fix" a rust hole and close off the old gas tank filler neck.  Datsunfreak has a picture I sent him of the panel welded in and another of the Bondo smeared onto it.  I'm sure they are as bad as the engine bay picture I took for my 1200 thread, so y'all may have to wait until Saturday for his pix.  We'll see.

• Like 1

I made another decision which is not going to be popular around here... I'm ditching the teardrop windows.  After driving all around looking for new ones and/or ideas on how to fix the existing ones, I started grokking the side of the van and thought, "Those just don't look right on this van for some reason."  I schlepped over to Metal Supermarkets, bought some steel, cut out two teardrops, and zooked them into the holes.  Esteban, our live-in paint and body guy, is going to clean them up on Sunday.  I also made a panel to delete the heater box while I was buying steel.  So, I'm sure Datsunfreak will make posting of pictures tomorrow... unless "I'm dead to him" for welding up the windows.  We'll see.

• Like 1

Tail lights...

20160402_125848.jpg

20160402_125837.jpg

Started on the gas tank mounts but had to bail out halfway through because we ran out of time. Tim says he may come back and finish it tomorrow...

20160402_125819.jpg

The tank filler and sending unit will end up right below that square hole, which we will make a cover for later. It used to be where the battery went, but it was moved over behind the driver's seat where the floor is a little more "solid"...    ^_^

• Like 4

I was supposed to meet the P&B guy at the shop today to start prep on the bodywork but when I arrived, he wasn't there.  T'was a good thing though as I wasn't dressed for working on it and had mom with me.  I may swing by "out of my way home" one or two evenings thins week to grok it and/or maybe do some work.  We'll see.  

• 2 months later...

After languishing for three months now, the P&B guy approached me yesterday asking if we could move the van to the east side of the building so he can get back to work on it in the evenings in the shade.  We didn't because the left rear brake is seized and he caught us as we were about to leave for lunch.  I may swing by tomorrow and see if we can get enough hands, or more likely Toyota Tundra and chain, on the thing to drag it and bust that brake loose.  I'm getting excited about having it match my 1200's paint scheme.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, ford vans back in the dayz did have falcon econoline. I think they were more on the luxirious side (passenger) vs. Cargo type, cargo type is my next dream but a having a hard time finding one. They are also going up in value, been looking for 10 yrs. Now

Racer X was my favorite character on Speed Racer.  I have a booster seat from when I was but a wee child with "Tim's Racer X!" written in magic marker on the seat (with a backwards "S" onnacounta I was so young).  The sound his car made was the most awesome.  Thanks for having that avatar/screen name and bringing back those memories.  I'm off to Amazon now to look for some SR DVDs.

Oh snap!  I think I just realized why the yellow and black paint scheme on my 1200 means so much to me!  Gotta put big number 9s in white roundels on it now.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Been sort of a malaise on this project since one of the wheels seized and we couldn't move it around...    :sleep:

Finally today got off the stick and pulled the rear drums, removed all the hardware, popped the drums back on, now she rolls just fine. Should be some bodywork progress to report next week.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

Did some work today...

Tim wrestling the gas tank into position...

14316985_10154024038837983_1277454439683

Straps bolted up and on to connecting wires for the sender...

14292296_10154024038907983_3420110078434

Doesn't sound like a lot, but it took FOREVER to get the straps to line up with the holes in the floor. The straps have to sort of "pinch" the tank, which will hold it in tighter, but makes them very difficult to install. 

Got those wires for the sender hooked up, as well as hooking up the fuel line to the tank. Also did some head scratching on seats, and somehow still not quite sure what we will do there. But now, in theory, we can pour some gas in it, and it will crank up and move under it's own power. Next step will likely be getting the doghouse back on, then rebuild the brakes.   :thumbup:

• Like 2

"But now, in theory, we can pour some gas in it, and it will crank up and move under it's own power."

And stop when it hits something!  I have all the bits to replace the drums on the front and rebuild the rears... we just haven't done that yet.

• Like 2