'62 Falcon Econoline

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheapest option...

pliers25n-1-web.jpg

I've done this... someone stole my steering wheel at school so I had to go with this to make the 5 mile trip home...

I like the octagon wheel, that one is pretty neat. That + bass boat flake = money :wub:

• Like 1

Did we tell y'all the "Dropping off the carburetor" story?  If not, here goes... if so, deal.  After firing up the van on my birthday, and discovering that the carb was hemorrhaging gasoline, we dropped said carb off at a carb shop.  When he asked, "What's it going on?" and we told him, he said, "I've got one of those out back!"  We went "out back" with him and sure enough he had an Econoline pickup!  He then said he still needed a windshield so John asked if he'd trade our spare for a carb rebuild.  He jumped on that.  I took him the glass on Thursday and got the carb back today.  I installed it, stole a battery from Patrick, and fired the thing up.  Damn!  A Ford 200 six with open headers is friggin' LOUD!  Especially in a van.  I ran it until it made temperature and it appears that all the gauges and stuff are hooked up properly.  I still have not developed enough testicular fortitude to try and "drive" it though.  I'm thinking I'll look for a muffler shop nearby and have a zorst built, then get cracking on installing those disc brakes.  THEN I'll try to drive it.  We'll see.

• Like 1

I would suggest at least having brakes for a drive attempt, driving around an partially completed vehicle with no brakes turns into problem when stopping. Or if you end up having the problem I did and the throttle cable binds up cause you forgot that one screw and you take off across the yard trying to grab the steering wheel shifter and ignition at the same time while trying to push the brake pedal thru the floor with nothing happening....good times...

• Like 1

The real question is whether the parking brake works at all. If it does, that might make a "drive" a little more plausible...

Remarkably, that is one system on the vehicle which is still connected but that we have not even tried yet!

• Like 2

Parking brake DOES work... at least well enough to try and make it move under its own power this weekend.  Still need a steering wheel though.  I installed an air horn which sounds just exactly like a big-rig doesn't.  Meh, it's loud, that's the important thing.  I bought a pair of lights to install in the rear but I need to do a little more work on the holes to get them to fit.  I think they'll be fine.  We'll see.  

• Like 2