gm related tomfoolery

Just because the tech is old doesn't make it any less affective. An musket can still kill you as well as a Browning .50

The Corvette does pretty damn well against other latest high tech cars. If they were limited to say, 5 liters you would see some crazy four cam 32 valve turbo/SC engines.

• Like 1
  • Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'm well aware of the advantages and strengths of the design. But here's the thing. The 'Vette is GM's "halo" car. It's supposed to represent the best of their capabilities. And they're putting it up against some of the best sports/performance cars in the world. In that context... don't you think the presence of buggy springs and a pushrod engine just sort of confirm the belief that many people have (and that GM is trying to shake) of the company being backwards and out of step with the times? 

? seems to work excellent at Le Mans

When did I say it didn't work? Just saying- sticking with 1920's technology on your flagship car doesn't help negate your reputation as a knuckle-dragger, as far as carmakers go. I'm certain that GM would still be using single-chamber master cylinders, four-wheel drum brakes, and floor mounted dimmer switches if they could get away with it.

• Like 1

Occam's razor, also known as the Law of Parsimony, states the simplest answer is usually the right one. Sure you could design coil springs or a torsion bar suspension on a vette but it would be more expensive, more complex, need a sway bar, heavier, more parts, take up too much space and.... not work any better.

So what springs are used on a GT-R? Probably coil springs, so are you going to say that Nissan is using technology that's hundreds (if not thousands) of years old on their flagship car?

When did I say it didn't work? Just saying- sticking with 1920's technology on your flagship car doesn't help negate your reputation as a knuckle-dragger, as far as carmakers go. I'm certain that GM would still be using single-chamber master cylinders, four-wheel drum brakes, and floor mounted dimmer switches if they could get away with it.

They also use magnetic ride control with driver selectable ride, but that must be old technology, the transmission is mounted on the rear differential for better weight bias, yup old technology. My question to you is, where is the gtr's 62 years of research and development? Oh they just "borrowed" the best of everyones ideas and started there. not much innovation involved with that. My computer can drive my car faster than your computer, Sure its a fast car, but you can't say they have a following like a corvette

By the way, i'm not trying to sell corvettes

My question to you is, where is the gtr's 62 years of research and development? Oh they just "borrowed" the best of everyones ideas and started there. not much innovation involved with that. My computer can drive my car faster than your computer, Sure its a fast car, but you can't say they have a following like a corvette

By the way, i'm not trying to sell corvettes

The GT-R has only 45 years of research or about 57 years if you include all of the Skylines. The original Corvette wasn't very innovative either with an 'off the shelf' 3.9 liter inline six with solid lifter and a truck engine camshaft making about 125 hp raised to 150 the next year. If you want innovative the '55 265 cu in V8 was just that.

So what springs are used on a GT-R? Probably coil springs, so are you going to say that Nissan is using technology that's hundreds (if not thousands) of years old on their flagship car?

Nope, just technology that's much more in step with the times than what GM likes to use. 

On the other hand, maybe I should just shut up about it= seems like whenever GM tries new (to them) or advanced technology, it always blows up in  their faces... 

Nope, just technology that's much more in step with the times than what GM likes to use. 

On the other hand, maybe I should just shut up about it= seems like whenever GM tries new (to them) or advanced technology, it always blows up in  their faces... 

Well it IS a composite (probably carbon fiber/resin) leaf spring. Not metal, so it qualifies as 'high tech'.

• Like 1

The original Corvette wasn't very innovative either with an 'off the shelf' 3.9 liter inline six with solid lifter and a truck engine camshaft making about 125 hp raised to 150 the next year. 

Yeah- the first 'Vette was little more than a big dick on a Bel Air. GM at least had the decency to give it its own platform after the first-gen cars.

'53 was the first year the 'Blue Flame' 6 cylinders had an oil pump. My dad had a '51 with the crankshaft scoops and later I had a '55. IIRC the oil filter container was bolted to the intake with in and out lines. Previous to the oil pump, crank lubrication was by splash and the OHV was fed oil from a scooping action of the crank throws splashing in the oil pan. Naturally running low on oil was an instant disaster and owners checked their oil daily if they were smart. The advent of the oil pump allowed much more horse power to be built in, less wear on  bearings and the upper valve train and best of all an oil filter which extended oil and engine life. Before filters, oil had to be non detergent so that dirt would drop to the bottom of the oil pan or stick to the inside of the block and heads. You did NOT want dirt to stay suspended in the oil and get to the bearings. Engine tear downs were at 50-60K and the insides had an inch thick of crud on them. Oil filters required detergent oil to keep dirt IN the oil so it could be filtered out.

• Like 1

No idea and my dad's gone now. My new '70 Dart had 5 year 50K on power train. Pinion bolt came off and the crown gear stripped, (fixed free) and the next summer it needed all new transmission bearings. (free) In Ontario the winters get cold so they used ATF in it and it didn't stand up to the abuse I put it through. When I got it back I checked, yup ATF again. So I dumped it out for 90w gear oil and no more problems... but on cold winter nights I shut it off in first gear or it took 10 min to get it warmed enough to get out of reverse. Not kidding, I was 21 and strong but with both hands I thought that Hurst shifter was going to bend.

• Like 1

Ford product, but, the Continental (separate make from Lincoln in '56/'57) had something more comparable to what we'd expect today- 36 months/36,000 MI. The Lincoln also had a longer warranty than a Ford or Mercury.

I couldn't tell you if the higher-priced GM vehicles had a longer/more comprehensive warranty than the Chevrolets,but I'd assume for the premium price that would be part of the deal. 

Feb0201.jpg

Technologically speaking the GTR is lightyears beyond the Chorvett. Is the Chorvett a GREAT car for the price? No doubt. Has Chevy done a good job developing this product? Absolutely. Has the Vett ever been a car where it's innovation has set it apart from the rest? Hell No. Has the Chorvett ever held the lap record for a production car at the Nurburgring? No, but the GTR has.

• Like 1

Technologically speaking the GTR is lightyears beyond the Chorvett. Is the Chorvett a GREAT car for the price? No doubt. Has Chevy done a good job developing this product? Absolutely. Has the Vett ever been a car where it's innovation has set it apart from the rest? Hell No. Has the Chorvett ever held the lap record for a production car at the Nurburgring? No, but the GTR has.

Has the Corvette ever been slower than a Dodge truck? Hell-YES!

• Like 1

2.3% quicker for 23% more cost...
  • Like 1