gm related tomfoolery

The only thing I could think of was the 59 must outweigh the Malibu, so why would it push the 59 back? Turns out the 09 may actually outweigh the 59 by more than 100lbs if the Bel Air is a base model 6 cylinder. Base Malibu is only 3,515lbs. Probably another reason why they chose that model Zt.

59 Bel-Air 4-door with a I-6 was 3600lbs as a base model. Advertised weight of the Malibu is 3,649 at the upper end(3400 lower end). Marketing bullshit at it's finest.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

201406_0352_gdefa_sm.jpg146506_600.jpg

146927_600.jpg

just so everyone knows, all auto manufacturers have massive recalls, the gm ignition recall is big, around 2.6 million vehicles, and around 16? deaths,  but it is not the largest recall in history, its just the most recent large recall, so its in the headlines constantly. does anyone remember the toyota floor mat recall? no because it isnt in the headlines anymore. it was approximately 9 million vehicles, and 21 deaths for that one recall, that doesn't include all their other recalls for those years, just that one was in the headlines. 

Fords failure to park recall in 1980 involved 21 million vehicles for that one recall, it caused more than 6000 accidents, 1700 injuries and 98 deaths.

the takata seatbelt scandal in 1995, 8.3 million vehicles worldwide, by numerous models made by honda, nissan, chrysler, mitsubishi, gm, mazda, suzuki, subaru, and isuzu, between 1986 and 1995. 

Ford fire recall in 1996, 14 million vehicles involved

and also a FORD IGNITION SWITCH RECALL in 1996 involving 8.7 million vehicles

the fact is ALL manufacturers have 100's of recalls every year, its the fuckin way she goes

There are damn few improvements made by car makers. They almost always have to be faced with monetary loss or loss of buyer confidence in order to force them to fix something. My first car a '64 Dodge did not have seat belts. It had single master cylinder hydraulic brakes, no head rests and a steel dash with protruding knobs. Drum brakes naturally. It was a two door and the front seats folded forward.... but did not lock. While learning to drive a sudden stop sent my younger brother forward into and shoving my dad up into the dash.

What was bullshit is that they INTENTIONALLY pick that year car to do the test with. That old Chebby has a X-frame which were found to be vastly inferior in crash protection and side impacts and was superseded by the perimeter frame which is found on all of GM cars 65( I think) & later.The people putting this test on PURPOSELY chose the earlier car as they knew if they chose a car like a 70 full size GM car-the 09 Malibu would be wadded up like tin foil. So,yes-it is more GM bullshit.

SinkingGM_zps6e9fb73f.png

The reason they INTENTIONALLY picked a 1959 is because that was the year the IIHS was formed, and this 'test' was conducted in 2009- the 50th year of that entity's existence. I seriously doubt anyone at that organization would know what the hell an X frame was, much less be able to spot one.

That being said- yeah, I'm not going to say the whole thing wasn't rigged in some fashion or another to give the advantage to the newer car. 

I think McNamara was head of fordd in the '50s and they did introduce seat belts...... no one used them so they stopped. So people are just as bad as the makers.

McNamara is also the idiot that decided to make the T-bird into a four-seater when the car(two seat version) had out-sold the Corvette almost 3 to 1.He also became Secretary of Defense and ran the war in Viet Nam.
  • Like 1

i was just pointing out that everyone thinks no one else has recalls

Never said or thought that.GM was at one point the largest company in the world. And their bankruptcy was completely their own doing. Their trail of errors goes all the ways back to the early 60's.My Dad was a GM guy but by 1976,he had all he could take of GM garbage and he bought a Datsun. ANd Datsun never let him down.

Back in the early 70's all of the Big Three sent high ranking people out to the west coast to have a look at the "import phenomenon ". They all decided that the Datsun's, Toyota's and Honda's rolling of the ships were a "fad". They returned to Detroit and re-inserted their heads up their asses. When they finally were forced to pull them out,the best they could offer was the Pinto & the Vega.

And until someone takes a flamethrower to the 14th floor,nothing will ever change at GM.

Regulatory laws governing the auto industry are neither in the public interest, or the protection of the free market. How many times have you heard "We're only following Government guide lines" from a CEO who looks like he doesn't know wether to shit or roll over? When in reality his company writes the laws meant to regulate his industry. The game is rigged to protect domestic profiteering on a substandard product. Why didn't we get the Silva and Skylines here? Refer back to the prior statement. 

Imagine if the big three actually had to compete through innovation, efficiency, and quality. We sure as hell wouldn't be driving a 3,600lbs 27MPG P.O.S. 09 Malibu. Have we really come a long way in 50 years though. Back then gas was $0.28 a gallon, the 64 Malibu was 3,100lbs, and got 22mpg, but it didn't have Bluetooth. 

• Like 2

The Toyota floor mat recall was forced due to the stupidity of car owners. That's it.

Let us stack 2 floor mats under the gas and brake pedals. Boom. Crash.

Dumbasses.

WRONG! The floor mat recall was Toyota scratching their heads and coming up with nothing trying to figure why their cars were accelerating for no reason, which they eventually figured out was the throttle position sensor.  Toyota likes to blame the consumer for their screwups, just like they did with the tiny oil drainback holes in the heads of the 3.0L v6 engines in the late 90's to early 2000's that caused the oil to sit and gel.  "You didn't change the oil often enough, it's your fault, not ours" "Your shop used the wrong oil, wrong filter, etc" This is what I heard all the time when I worked for Lexus in 2006, which is one reason I quit and went back to Ford. If the customer had the oil changed anywhere else besides a Toyota or Lexus dealer, even if it was only ONCE, no warranty, that is crooked and shady business tactics. That is why I hate Toyota to this day and will NEVER own one.

Ford had their problems, lots of them, when I worked there for 10 years, but at least they admitted fault when it was their screw up!