gm related tomfoolery

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vegas were one of the first POS cars GM foisted of on the public. One of the worst engines ever. Mileage NEVER EVER came even remotely close to what the ads said it would. I had a '76 B-210 that only twice did it ever get below 30mpg on a tank. Way better build quality. They rusted out very bad though.

• Like 3

I never said a 91 corvette was fast, I also never said the vette was always fast, I'm sure a Nissan has been slower than a dodge truck also.

The 80 corvette was the slowest production vette ever made, to meet California emmisions they only came with a 305 that year

Vegas were one of the first POS cars GM foisted of on the public. One of the worst engines ever. Mileage NEVER EVER came even remotely close to what the ads said it would. I had a '76 B-210 that only twice did it ever get below 30mpg on a tank. Way better build quality. They rusted out very bad though.

My mother's first car was a brand-new '71 Vega. Her father was a life-long GM worker and got it for her with his employee discount. Within a few months, it had blown a head gasket. My grandfather had it fixed. A short time later, the second head gasket blew. Again, he sent it back to the dealer. Fast forward a few months... you guessed it... head gasket is fucked. That time, the Vega mysteriously disappeared and was replaced with a Nova.

Oh come on Matt, We all know the cost/performance ratio is never linear 1:1. 

Also known as the Law Of Diminishing Returns. Takes ten tines as much to increase performance 10%

I think they had an Aluminum block and cast iron head, it didn't work very well

Yes, recalled multiple times, eventually replaced by the 'Iron Duke' block but it was too late. A friend had one, an automatic, but still 2.3liter. He raced a 1200 Civic. That Civic ATE him so bad we thought he was backing up!!!!

You won't find a single Vega today

.... without a 350 in it.

• Like 1

And that went away to protect the Corvette. Just like the Buick GN and the Fiero. And the Banshee.

Indeed. The fourth-gen F-Cars also had a more restrictive intake to limit power output, so as not to step on the Corvette's toes, despite having the same engine.

• Like 1

Also known as the Law Of Diminishing Returns. Takes ten tines as much to increase performance 10%

As for the less expensive Syclone being faster than the Vett, in photographic terms this would be considered Reciprocity Failure.

My dad had a 68 charger 440 4 spd, sold it in 73 for a Chevy vega to get better gas mileage, ran out of gas on their honeymoon after almost 400 miles, pretty good at the time.

That fool! What the sheet metal of that charger would be worth now! I've been to mopar swap meets and saw a man practically kill fight another over who gets to buy a fender for a 68 charger, not to mention a 440 car :0